Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

That Great Guy Guest

Prior to 1995, the entire operation of SMART was paid for by the Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT.

Today, MDOT has $400 Million to match $1.6 Billion in federal grants for New freeway expansions but no money to pay for the existing large buses they used to pay for prior to 1995. They will have to pay, if you protest for some of them.

The City of Livonia had SMART buses paid for prior to 1995 before the property tax. This makes it a tax shift and the service reductions makes it a tax increase. The reason your NO vote means your tax will not be reduced is because Federal laws prohibit tax shifts for handicapped accessible community transit without first securing permanent alternative funds.

Read the News clip, it does not say SMART will lose $44 Million. That is illegal and is presently being challenged by people like me who want to end the scare tactics and bullying. I also want to end federal and state cuts and fill up the buses. In 2003, I helped SMART program their radios and computers, resulting in full buses on the 285 route and filling up buses on 3 other routes including DDOT

I publicly challenge Mr. John Hertel to a television debate. But not to defeat his tax but to make it work for everyone.

I rely on SMART to get to my job
    Last edited by That Great Guy; April-13-14 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Prior to 1995, the entire operation of SMART was paid for by the Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT.
    So there were no farebox revenues and everyone rode for free?? MDOT still contributes the same portion of the revenue it always has to transit. The big issue here is that the source is declining due to it being a share of gas tax revenues. Gas is taxed per gallon [[19 cents). Since vehicles get better fuel economy, and people are opting to either take the bus, walk, or share rides due to the much higher cost of gasoline, the revenues are decreasing.

New revenue sources are needed to replace the old or you get worse service over time.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    So there were no farebox revenues and everyone rode for free?? MDOT still contributes the same portion of the revenue it always has to transit. The big issue here is that the source is declining due to it being a share of gas tax revenues. Gas is taxed per gallon [[19 cents). Since vehicles get better fuel economy, and people are opting to either take the bus, walk, or share rides due to the much higher cost of gasoline, the revenues are decreasing.

New revenue sources are needed to replace the old or you get worse service over time.
    Thank for posting this. You are right MDOT still contributes the same money. Only instead of paying for the 285 SMART bus, they now pay for the HOV lanes on I-75 and the Amtrak line from Detroit to Kazoo. The HOV lanes are to move people faster by getting park and ride buses into downtown Detroit, reduce traffic congestion and along with the I-94 expansion improve safety by replacing old bridges and old pavement.

Yes, we need to raise more money in my opinion also, but the August tax vote coming up is far from being enough, unless you like no evening or weekend public bus service.

I think we should have many revenue sources, preferably from user fees such as electronic toll collections. If someone in northern Oakland county wants me to pay for the HOV lanes to Detroit then that is fine, pay for my SMART bus and I will pay for the HOV.

There is another way though, if that guy in Oakland County won't pay for Detroit or Wayne County people. It works like this, NO gas, No cash, NO ride.

So, NO I do not want the HOV lanes, until people like Brooks Patterson comes to the table. It is just that simple. As clear and obvious as Black and White. Hell NO on the HOV lanes, until Detroit gets the buses back. It should be Bus or Bust but it is not. It is instead money talks and bullshit walks and Detroit has lost too much money from people moving out or not making enough from low wage part time jobs.

It will take a lot more then your YES vote next August, if y'all wanna not pay for downtown Detroit or airport parking. That is a promise that even the most crooked leaders can keep. So, keep up yer YE$$$$$$$$$$ votes.

I'm not joking about y'all paying a 3.5 mil tax for SMART. It's coming soon and if not from property taxes, then from Sales or car registration fees. The federal laws are there to protect SMART and DDOT, if we want to protest. If not then that guy in northern Oakland county will get his HOV lanes and y'all can walk and see SMART and DDOT go broke. Yes, there are people who want that but not That Great Guy who supports SMART.

Thank you for your posts, so far
    Last edited by That Great Guy; April-13-14 at 01:27 PM.