Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I wouldn't say "will" so much as that we are just experiencing inaction. The status quo pretty much can keep chugging along on its own. We have transportation planners who were taught to build roads, who have decades of experience building roads, so they build road. It's the old "your only tool is a hammer" situation. There is pretty nearly no transit expertise at any level of government.

I suppose you are right. Within a generation, it was possible to evacuate expertise in transit, and create an ever growing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    It is not illegal to run SMART in Livonia. The vast majority of Livonia residents want the blacks and SMART back.

It's that concerned racist Livonia City Council resident. That started the SMART bus opt out in the first place. The trick its residents making claims the SMART did something that it not suppose to do. But they follow requirements under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It was all racist lies to keep blacks away from Livonia. Livonia residents had been duped!

Unfortunately, SMART officials and the Transportation Riders United are among many which supported the vast over $40 Million dollars per year cuts in operating subsidies from MDOT to be shifted to Northern Oakland County to build the vast NEW multi billion dollar freeways.

The August tax is not a renewal at all. it is instead a tax increase AND direct tax shift from State to Local funding.

This tax shifts the burden of paying for both SMART and DDOT from those who drive to the lower income people and it a tax write off for the rich

This tax has resulted in vast bus service reductions.

There is no report that the SMART bus millage will lead to possible freeway expansions. I have SEMCOG's demographic statics online. I used it to make sure transit dollars are going to right people who would do the job. SMART bus millages had been passed several times, no transit dollars EVER going to freeway expansions. Those tax dollars will fund SMART buses for number of years. Without it region transit will be long gone by April of 2015. Thousands of jobs will be lost, disabled people will no place to go. They will be stuck in their own homes. People who can't drive cars will be stuck. We may have to rely on families, taxis, and very expensive job shuttle services. Metro-Detroit will be turned a one horse town stuck in the 1800s. Every city, town and village needs mass transit for regional job growth and for people to get to their destinations.

SMART is currently in violation of the Civil Rights ACT of 1964 due to the Livonia Opt. Out. They are required to do a demographic analysis of the impact of this but have not done so.
    Livonia residents did not choose to eliminate SMART. The decision was made by our leaders in Lansing and SEMCOG to favor buying the Kazoo and Detroit rail and expand freeways. That is why the TRU does not care. It is a money grab and the cars and trains in Livonia have won.
    Prove it. Present evidence to everyone in this forum. Otherwise it couple be a political lie to dupe Livonia residents to opt out SMART.

That Great Guy Guest

When you go the polls and vote YES, YES, YES, YES, there will be all the evidence you need right in the voting booth.

The ballot says a property tax for SMART and there is nothing about federal or state funding? Why? Because it does not exist. Also, there is nothing about increasing ridership with fare box money. Why? Because of transporting the handicapped which can cost hundreds of dollars per trip.

And YES, Danny the Federal Transit Administration FTA did indeed approve $400 Million from slashing the SMART budget for the I-75 freeway expansion. Why? Because it is called HIGH Occupancy Vehicle HOV and the purpose it to transport Detroit residents to the Great Lakes Mall to work $10 per hour jobs by riding in SMART buses. YES, that $400 Mil was and still mass transit money but was legally shifted by a vote of the majority. That is why you are only supporting the increase with your YES vote.

Danny, if you want the $100 Million per year from MDOT for SMART and DDOT then you will have to fight for it. Like what I'm doing. So, look at my WebSite. See the ad? Why? Because no one will pay to get written protection to stop the MDOT cuts for community transit.

Danny, Livonia turned to garbage with high transit taxes and Detroit will also get cut off with NO state funding if our present leaders get their way or stay in office

Thanks again for posting and voting YES.

It is those who don't vote that are to blame and not you. Why? Because there is nothing wrong with the SMART tax except that it is not enough. And that is why we both and nearly everyone else needs the leadership to get job growth back to our State. And NO, Danny the I-75 expansion will not do this unless you want to support Soviet Era Communism. That is why I want Mr. Hertel on TV by writing that crazy like a fox letter.

Think about getting
    save the fuel tax org

Well known.

Remember I'm not voting for the 1 mil but the 3.5 mil Why? Because I'm fighting the I-75 Brooks Patterson freeway. In my opinion, he can take those $10 per hour jobs and keep them for himself. Detroit can do better than that and that should be as clear as black and white.

You have yet to provide evidence that FTA has slashed the SMART budget. You first said that MDOT did, and I rebutted that it was the Michigan Legislature that controls how funding is split not a Department. If anything, the federal funding for SMART has increased over the last couple of years, not fallen.

If you really want to make a difference you should be following Jase Bolger's transportation funding package that if passed will increase state transportation funding, but none of it will go to transit. http://gophouse.org/house-speaker-bo...ichigan-roads/

SMART got hosed under Engler, now its the new GOPs turn to hose em again.

That Great Guy Guest

The Link only further proves Mr. John Hertel of SMART fully backs and supports $40 Million per year of bus money to widen I-75, the proliferation of sub minimum wage jobs by cutting hours to 30 per week with no benefits and overweight trucks.

It is not in writing and must be so before August. Or else we will get more urban sprawl and Wal-Mart jobs for Detroit residents.

The proposed changes in the Link will not work, unless Mr. John Hertel debates me on the 6 O Clock News on Channels 2,4 and 7 and on the front page of the Sunday edition of the Detroit News and Free Press.

vote no on the smart vote !!!im sick of paying for crap i dont use ..how bout the DIA ,HELLO ANYONE OH THE DETROIT ZOO,OH MY OWN CITY OF WARREN MILLAGES POLICE AND FIRE AND THE STREET MILLAGE IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON THE HELL WITH SMART BUSES.YOU WANT TO PAY IT GOOD ...BUT KEEP IT OFF MY TAXES COME AUGUST.!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnlaurie77 View Post
    vote no on the smart vote !!!im sick of paying for crap i dont use ..how bout the DIA ,HELLO ANYONE OH THE DETROIT ZOO,OH MY OWN CITY OF WARREN MILLAGES POLICE AND FIRE AND THE STREET MILLAGE IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON THE HELL WITH SMART BUSES.YOU WANT TO PAY IT GOOD ...BUT KEEP IT OFF MY TAXES COME AUGUST.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't want your rent or cost of housing to be raised then you will have to support a well organized and funded effort to defeat the SMART Tax Increase next August.

The public generally believes a NO vote means mass transit shuts down, thus many vote YES thinking more local tax money is essential to keep existing community transit. It is NOT

A vote of NO means only the tax increase is defeated. ALL money, ALL bus service and ALL union bus driver jobs are fully and completely protected by existing federal laws.

The SMART Property Tax is a TAX SHIFT, thus is illegal without a majority vote for permanent funding for same purpose facilities under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and ADA law. This is why for example if you live in Dearborn, your local taxes will not be lowered and must go to SMART or another provider. That is why Livonia did not get a tax break but actually got their taxes increased. This is also why the Michigan Department of Transportation is not allowed to cut essential funds without your consent at the voting booth.

Cost shifting from state to local government for both SMART and DDOT is outright illegal and our law makers know this. Why to you think the RTA has such strong support? It is because they want your money and they don't care how you pay as long as you pay more even if you don't have access to or use mass transit.

Look at your ballot next August. Does it say federal and state funds in writing? If not, then it is a tax shift without any concessions from government or industry.

The voters are very uneducated in the funding of mass transit and the meaning of Fare Box Recovery Ratio which is why Mr. John Hertel of SMART will not go on television and debate people like me voluntarily. Until of course after he gets his tax increase passed.

Notice the quiet say nothing of those who want the SMART tax? It is only weeks away and my opponents know better then to get my website well known. They want you to be STUPID and pay more taxes. Instead of being SMART.

If interested in not paying more to SMART, then please get in touch with me by going to my website or indicating on this forum

Google save the fuel tax org

Go to the Link for Detroit Public Transit.

L. Brooks Patterson and Mark Hackel appeared in a [[somewhat awkward) commercial in support of the SMART bus millage and cited stats like 70% of usage is for commuting to or from a job.

I saw it on TV this morning. I'm unable to find it online.

Kind of ironic that Macomb County is the only county in the MSA with a unified transportation system.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Kind of ironic that Macomb County is the only county in the MSA with a unified transportation system.
    That is not true:
    Livingston Essential Transportation Services [[County Run)
    Livingston Essential Transportation Service [[L.E.T.S.) is a transportation service that provides dial-a-ride service to meet transportation needs.Riders use the L.E.T.S. buses to travel to any destination in Livingston County including doctors’ offices & grocery stores.

TGG why don't you take this course so you can better define your argument?

http://www.ntionline.com/courses/courseinfo.php?id=273

"Livingston Essential Transportation Service [[L.E.T.S.) is a transportation service that provides dial-a-ride service to meet transportation needs.Riders use the L.E.T.S. buses to travel to any destination in Livingston County including doctors’ offices & grocery stores."

That's even more of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is not true:
    Livingston Essential Transportation Services [[County Run)
    Livingston Essential Transportation Service [[L.E.T.S.) is a transportation service that provides dial-a-ride service to meet transportation needs.Riders use the L.E.T.S. buses to travel to any destination in Livingston County including doctors’ offices & grocery stores.
    Mass Transit Authority [[MTA) in Genesee County has these services also.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Mass Transit Authority [[MTA) in Genesee County has these services also.
    It is not in the MSA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    All except for the route to Great Lakes Crossing as well as several other rush-hour routes into Troy and Livingston County.

That Great Guy Guest

Today, I will be crossing out the 1 and putting in a 3 for 3 Mills to SMART.

Money talks and Bullshit walks.

When this tax passes today, we will see even more federal and state cuts and bus service reductions, unless we vote in mass transit leaders and there are few of them.

I really wish it was T.R.U.e that Detroit will soon get a decent public bus system and it is up to the voters today.

YES means less federal and state money.

NO means we bail out a grossly underfunded public bus system which will only need more money and Obama Health Care will come first, so we dig deeper.

I have money to pay more to Mr. John Hertel and he will know that I care and will help him fill his buses up.

Vote YES. Then lobby for more mils and other funding lines going forward.

i ride the SMART Bus for the last 26 yrs to get downtown to my job, any one willing to come pick me up, and why should i have to pay foe public schools I have no damn kids, why should I payfor Kids that go to school I dont use it, waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    i ride the SMART Bus for the last 26 yrs to get downtown to my job, any one willing to come pick me up, and why should i have to pay foe public schools I have no damn kids, why should I payfor Kids that go to school I dont use it, waste of money
    For the same reason people who don't ride the bus should have to pay for the bus system that you enjoy.

...eventually there needs to be a four-county merged bus system. So far the political will doesn't exist.

just remember if SMART fails, all of peopel will il be [paying more taxes, yoiu wil have to suppot all the people going to lose theire jobs, unemployment bemefits etc.. just think all the people that work downtown where ae they going to park, no where to park, If you park its way over 25.00 a day, therea a few places a little cheaper brt not much, so no matter what we will all be paying more, besides many cities have two seperae systems and with out SMART metro Detroit will get worser andthis sarea wll never make a comeback, we all need transit, no wonder people are leaving, many my coworkers are upset parking rates are going up next month

Remember to vote yes for the "Defund the SMART System and Elect Hitler for forever" millage, aka the SMART Millage!!!!

On a more serious note, if what That Great Wonderful Guy is saying actually does happen, and funding is cute on a state and federal level, this is because our elected officials are terrible , not because we as citizens chose to fund our public transportation system. Get out and vote however you feel inclined, but always remember that the only person you can rely on for factual information is yourself. Everyone else out there has an agenda of their own and will try to get you to go along with it [[see That Amazing Wonderful Great Guy)

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    On a more serious note, if what That Great Wonderful Guy is saying actually does happen, and funding is cute on a state and federal level, this is because our elected officials are terrible , not because we as citizens chose to fund our public transportation system. Get out and vote however you feel inclined, but always remember that the only person you can rely on for factual information is yourself. Everyone else out there has an agenda of their own and will try to get you to go along with it [[see That Amazing Wonderful Great Guy)
    I would think the major reason why this is needed is because land here is worth a lot less than it was several years ago. It has little to do with politics and more to do with the world economy.

Sorry Great Guy A.K.A. Trainman you lost for the 4th time. The voters have spoken. SMART buses will continue to run for years to come. Keep publishing your lies, the result of the matter is people need regional transit for jobs, errands or visiting their friends.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast