Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Again, there are time when I indulge in a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee myself. But for the norm I spend $8.00 bucks on a whole can of Maxwell House and probably easily get more than 50 cups a coffee in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Again, there are time when I indulge in a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee myself. But for the norm I spend $8.00 bucks on a whole can of Maxwell House and probably easily get more than 50 cups a coffee in a month.
    I see you're "thrifty" like myself. If you like good homemade coffee, and know someone with a Costco card, ask them to get you a can of Kirkland Columbian. It's terrific, and only $10 a can. [[I know it's $2 bucks more, but you can check out "Yuppie life")

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I see you're "thrifty" like myself. If you like good homemade coffee, and know someone with a Costco card, ask them to get you a can of Kirkland Columbian. It's terrific, and only $10 a can. [[I know it's $2 bucks more, but you can check out "Yuppie life")
    The 3Lb. can of Kirkland 100% Columbian is very good…its $9.00,
    I think its $9.00 for the larger size can - 3 pounds - which is a steal...
    Costco has the larger size of Folgers as well

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The 3Lb. can of Kirkland 100% Columbian is very good…its $9.00,
    I think its $9.00 for the larger size can - 3 pounds - which is a steal...
    Costco has the larger size of Folgers as well

The stuff is liquid brown crack. I brought in a can for the office coffee thing, instead of Maxwell House. Now every two months it's "hey man, can you get anymore of the good stuff????"

I apologize for writing again about retail jobs on this thread, but MizMotown you are correct about the jobs market being completely different than before. There are haves and have nots in the job world. But the have nots are not victimized by the employers and the marketplace; they are victims of not getting a good, modern education. While of course all professions have bumps in the road, people who are literate and have skills with computers, math, science and technology have a very low rate of unemployment [[certainly below the general unemployment rate), and mostly don't need to even enter the retail job market. Those without other skills have many doors closed to them. That isn't Starbucks' or Walmart's or McDonald's fault.

Then there are people like me, a college drop out, who moved up from lowly ranks of retail and restaurants into upper level management over a period of years. I am now working for someone else and being well paid for it while building plans for my own business. I wouldn't be where I am now if my first boss had had to pay me $10/hour 25 years ago. The low wage and hard, sweaty work motivated me to move up and improve myself and my performance.

MikefromBrookylyn,

I wish you the best success in your endeavor. May an employee owned/ran business be a possible dream in your considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I apologize for writing again about retail jobs on this thread, but MizMotown you are correct about the jobs market being completely different than before. There are haves and have nots in the job world. But the have nots are not victimized by the employers and the marketplace; they are victims of not getting a good, modern education. While of course all professions have bumps in the road, people who are literate and have skills with computers, math, science and technology have a very low rate of unemployment [[certainly below the general unemployment rate), and mostly don't need to even enter the retail job market. Those without other skills have many doors closed to them. That isn't Starbucks' or Walmart's or McDonald's fault.

Then there are people like me, a college drop out, who moved up from lowly ranks of retail and restaurants into upper level management over a period of years. I am now working for someone else and being well paid for it while building plans for my own business. I wouldn't be where I am now if my first boss had had to pay me $10/hour 25 years ago. The low wage and hard, sweaty work motivated me to move up and improve myself and my performance.
    ah the old pull yourself up by your own bootstraps anecdote. classic. now if only america were still a place where upward mobility for all still existed... when companies make billions off the backs of cheap labor they can afford to pay a livable wage regardless of what the "market" says. the waltons certainly wouldnt suffer if they got their employees off food stamps but then again where would all that motivation come from to better yourself?

More green alleys are cool.

Detroit could make use of most of it's unused alleys in most parts of the city
    '

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit could make use of most of it's unused alleys in most parts of the city
    '
    Most of the unused alleys were closed years ago.

I know. My neighborhood had concrete alleys running through it. We used to race go karts, played basketball, and at times had festivals in them without being interrupted by street traffic. I say renovate neighborhoods, reopen and repave the alleys, and let it be more pedestrian walkway alleys with neighborhood events are held

Speaking of alleys , the alley behind Eastern wing shop on woodward is lit up like times square in NYC ! LOL
    I walked by last night and was suprise how well lit it was , it was better lit than most streets in Detroit.

Another midtown update from Curbed. It seems that the Coronado is completely rehabbed and fully occupied. This was done by the Cass Corridor Neighborhood Development Corporation, which is doing the Davenport and Cass Plaza.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...erior.php#more

I love the fireplaces and floors. The article mentions that most of the woodwork needed to be replaced, but that they used appropriate crown molding and foot-high baseboards. Looks like a very nice job for "affordable' housing, and I assume this bodes well for the Davenport and Cass Plaza.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2