Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The renderings were created before any construction on the Globe Building began so it's not going to reflect those changes.

The residential units would likely have some exits into the inside courts/parking but the retail would not. It's not typical for a development of this nature to have inward facing retail.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Hey guys new renderings. Looks freaking awesome.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...fore-Labor-Day
    those are quite a bit different from the curbed and freep renderings.... seeing some 4 story buildings. So, what is the real plan? 2 or 4
    Last edited by bailey; April-09-14 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    those are quite a bit different from the curbed and freep renderings.... seeing some 4 story buildings. So, what is the real plan? 2 or 4
    The Detnews one should be the current plan. There was a post on Model D's website from the architects [[Hamilton Anderson Associates) some time ago saying they wanted the buildings to look more industrial. Plus the article says that these renderings were released on Tuesday so obviously they're the most up to date ones.

I think Freep and Curbed just has some lazy reporting.

The Detnews one should be the current plan. There was a post on Model D's website from the architects [[Hamilton Anderson Associates) some time ago saying they wanted the buildings to look more industrial. Plus the article says that these renderings were released on Tuesday so obviously they're the most up to date ones.

I'm glad to hear Hamilton Anderson is doing this. The two principals come from Schervish, Vogel, Merz who, among other things, designed Chene Park.

The more industrial look is a really great fit for that area. I hope that's what really gets constructed.

I hope so. I think the varying 2-4 story buildings will look better aesthetically as opposed to all 2 story structures.

My questions is what is going to be done with the land north of Atwater south of Franklin next to this development? Anyone know who owns that land? City of Detroit perhaps or GM? Seems like that's going to be some very prime real estate all of a sudden, and it would really complete the area if something was there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I hope so. I think the varying 2-4 story buildings will look better aesthetically as opposed to all 2 story structures.

My questions is what is going to be done with the land north of Atwater south of Franklin next to this development? Anyone know who owns that land? City of Detroit perhaps or GM? Seems like that's going to be some very prime real estate all of a sudden, and it would really complete the area if something was there.
    GM owns the land from the Ren Cen to Rivard Street. There are a few websites showing what GM has/had planned for the area, but of course, the plans were made prior to the recession. Whether or not these plans are still possible or dead completely is unknown. All companies involved in the project are still operating [[GM, Hines, and Built Form) but obviously the economy has had a great impact on whatever was planned.

http://www.renshorecondos.com/index.html
    http://www.built-form.net/work/mixed...use/index.html
    http://www.hines.com/press/releases/6-20-07.aspx

For the land between Rivard and Riopelle Street, McCormack Baron Salazar has a planned phase 2 with possible high rises along Atwater Street. It just depends on whether the economy picks up so he can get financing for it.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; April-09-14 at 05:16 PM.

Looks like a 1980s retirement community.

All those displaced seniors from The Griswold have somewhere to go now.

It's easy to fantasize when looking at those big sites, but it's nice to finally see a riverfront development materializing, and there's plenty of land over there remaining.

Edit: My comment was about the original renderings, I missed the new renderings. The new renderings are much better.

I'd also like to add that being close to the Globe water park and other riverfront amenities, chrysler elementary, the new charter school to the east, the potential of becoming contiguous with the stable areas to the north and east, I think the riverfront has a lot of potential to be a good place for families to live.
    Last edited by Jason; April-10-14 at 03:17 PM.

The developer seems to have put a lot of thought on achieving density without the anonimity of massive condo-type developments, this would be a nice springboard project for Detroit near downtown. The kind of project that if well executed may radiate more of the same from the center outward. I am hoping for a good execution and good materials.

Baron is about as good as they come. I'll lump the Pulte's and Schostaks together. Go ahead and list more of their kind. Put them on one side of the spectrum and put Baron far away on the other side. http://www.npr.org/2011/01/13/132878...schools-future

He didn't convince his partners to take on Cass Tech. But he says he was ready to go full-bore to save Hudson's. Archer however said no one approached him about Hudson's and he had no regrets about pushing the button to demo it. So I guess I can lump Archer in with the first group. He may as well be representing 26 Mile Rd in Macomb County.

When will Mt Elliot Park due to open? I had driven to the park and the fence is still at the entrance of it

The street activity in the second renderings appear to take place on Franklin Street, not Atwater. According to the first renderings, no development was slated on the north side of Franklin, yet the second renderings show buildings that would be on the north side. If this was the view on Atwater, then buildings in the second rendering would be on the Milliken State Park side. Also, what happened to the townhouses/row houses that faced the Dequindre Cut? . I do hope this development gets off the ground. However, I don't have a lot of faith that it will if the difference between the first and second renderings are so drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The street activity in the second renderings appear to take place on Franklin Street, not Atwater. According to the first renderings, no development was slated on the north side of Franklin, yet the second renderings show buildings that would be on the north side. If this was the view on Atwater, then buildings in the second rendering would be on the Milliken State Park side. Also, what happened to the townhouses/row houses that faced the Dequindre Cut? . I do hope this development gets off the ground. However, I don't have a lot of faith that it will if the difference between the first and second renderings are so drastic.
    Have you seen the site plan? The development extends up to Woodbridge Street [[http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-labor-day.php). I believe the rowhouses you mention in the rendering will be located on "Guoin Mews". In general, the development will be a mix of rowhouses, townhouses and multi-level apartment-style residential. It seems like they're trying to avoid the uniformity that stigmatizes some city developments as too "suburban". Not an easy task, hopefully they pull it off.

Ok, so the street activity must be on Franklin since there are no buildings on the north side of Woodbridge. Two things I have a problem with. First, why are the buildings along Riopelle not extending to the sidewalk? Second, why, if it's done on Franklin, aren't there buildings along Woodbridge instead of parking? That's just wasted space. All of those streets in that area deserve to have buildings come up to the sidewalk to give the proper streetwall effect. Not doing so makes the development have a suburban feel instead of an urban one.
    Last edited by royce; April-22-14 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    When will Mt Elliot Park due to open? I had driven to the park and the fence is still at the entrance of it
    From the RiverFront Conservancy's website:

Construction crews are putting the finishing touches on a completely transformed Mt. Elliott Park in preparation for its much-anticipated grand opening the afternoon of June 6. Among its many amenities will be a universally accessible Great Lakes-themed schooner water feature with cascading waterfalls, water cannons and wind chimes.

The Conservancy’s third plaza and pavilion along the waterfront will also feature new fishing piers, winding walkways, restrooms, a security station, a café and beautiful landscaping.
    http://www.detroitriverfront.org/news/mt-elliott-park-1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2