Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No US Servicemember has done that since the 1940s.
    if we haven't done it since... maybe we never did it at all? might as well carry that "reasoning" all the way...
    Last edited by Vic01; April-09-14 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've read that and many other sections of the Bible Danny. I was speaking to how what you said could be read by some. Also there are some variations on how that particular book of the Bible is understood/ interpreted and used by some.
    When I grow up, I hope I develop your demeanor.

Originally Posted by 313WX Most people want to live in a place where everything isn't governed by the hate for their neighbor, but by the common good for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Where does such a place as that exist? I'd like to live there too.
    Livonia is like that. I've noticed the races mix freely there without problems. The taxes are low too so the common good is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No US Servicemember has done that since the 1940s.
    Not sure if you've served or had family in the past, but a remark like that is the epitome of classless and ignorance. You should be utterly ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Originally Posted by 313WX Most people want to live in a place where everything isn't governed by the hate for their neighbor, but by the common good for everyone.

Livonia is like that. I've noticed the races mix freely there without problems. The taxes are low too so the common good is important.
    Good post. People that actually go to the suburbs, in this century, will see demographics have changed. Middle class Blacks, @ least the ones I know, with families, [[and some without), don't want to deal with Detroit's lawlessness either.

No, Livonia still has a very bad reputation to race relations especially towards black people.

Years ago two black couple that I knew from my church just bought a home in Haller Street north of Plymouth Rd. and Middlebelt Rd. just near by old workplace. They have a racially profiled sever times by Livonia Police coming in and out from their home. They were tired on that mess and they moved out. Lot's of blacks who are living in Livonia had reported they have racially profiled by their police force and their homes being watch by white neighbors. One home in South Livonia neighborhood was firebombed! but it was a wrong house. That house that the arsonist looking for was a black neighbor. Livonia today is 90% white! ever since it become a city. It's white neighbors will anything in their power to keep out more black people from moving into their hoods. [[ It least they would allow a few black families who have middle income and those who are living on Welfare cheese and food stamps are kept out!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    OK, we are both being annecdotal, but I do get hassled in suburbia [[maybe not as aggressively) for loose change, help me fill my tank, or my daughter is sick. All it needs is that the gas station is within walking distance of where the guy normally hangs out with his cardboard sign [[and most of the guys that hassle me are white).
    Pretty common in Ann Arbor too. It's really grating when it's some 23-year old able-bodied white kid hitting me up for money. Seriously? Some fucking Townie burnout whose parents are probably upper-middle class UofM professors who kicked him out of the house because he refused to get a job or go to school or do anything productive with his time other than smoke pot with his burnout loser friends.

I'd take Detroit any day over Ann Arbor when it comes to being solicited for money on the street. Every 20 feet in downtown Ann Arbor is a panhandler, especially in the summertime. In the summer we get inundated with an extra batch of white hippie counterculture "travelers" who just move about the country and make money by panhandling.

Surely you jest.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Pretty common in Ann Arbor too. It's really grating when it's some 23-year old able-bodied white kid hitting me up for money. Seriously? Some fucking Townie burnout whose parents are probably upper-middle class UofM professors who kicked him out of the house because he refused to get a job or go to school or do anything productive with his time other than smoke pot with his burnout loser friends.

I'd take Detroit any day over Ann Arbor when it comes to being solicited for money on the street. Every 20 feet in downtown Ann Arbor is a panhandler, especially in the summertime. In the summer we get inundated with an extra batch of white hippie counterculture "travelers" who just move about the country and make money by panhandling.
    Yes, all over the US when I have traveled, most of the time I have been panhandled by whites [[usually younger than I am) and most of the guys at the freeway exits with "homeless, hungry" cardboard signs have been white.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Surely you jest.
    "Don't call him Shirley...."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3