Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/l...leven/25324896

US Army vet assaulted at Westland 7-11

As mad as I was about the beating of the Roseville man in Detroit, this put things in perspective. Slurring a US Servicemember? Who are these people?

Oh yeah, our neighbors.

The gas stations in Detroit suck. So do the ones in the suburbs. Detroit is full of thugs, and so are the suburbs.

I'm pretty much over how people say they like living here because "the people are nice." No, they're not. It's been 15 years of economic downturn and people are surly, on-edge, racist, uneducated substance-abusers. This is a lousy region to live, and a lousy region to raise a family. Detroit is the punching bag but the suburbs are trash too. It's all one big void of lousy roads, lousy schools, lousy economy, lousy transit, and lousy people.
    Those are pretty much my feelings as well.

Most people want to live in a place where everything isn't governed by the hate for their neighbor, but by the common good for everyone.

Just that much alone can soften the blow from economic depression [[see Cleveland, Pittsburgh, an any other rust belt metro area that's not Detroit).
    Last edited by 313WX; April-07-14 at 02:21 PM.

Actually gas is cheaper the closer you get to the gasoline/ oil refineries which are in the southwest area/ subs. I work in Dearborn and gas is a nickle or so cheaper always, down river further south is is cheaper.

I do use a gas station in the D on Woodward but they have a bouncer/ security person [[retired cop perhaps) who is 'open' carry. I've gotten to know him so he comes out and watches as I an other women pump gas as he can. Otherwise he watches thru the window and door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I guess this is why gas is cheaper in Detroit?

I don't care the savings; will never, ever stop for gas in Detroit. Too many crazy stories [[and not just crime stories, but just weird anecdotes about people approaching you with odd stories, beggars, and nonresponsive station clerks, also you constantly hear claims that they dilute the gas in the city with other additives).
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-07-14 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Most people want to live in a place where everything isn't governed by the hate for their neighbor, but by the common good for everyone.
    Where does such a place as that exist? I'd like to live there too.

LBP was right then.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Here in SE Florida, people are pretty surly, pushy, impolite, and unfriendly, but it is a whole lot safer than south of 8 Mile.

My undergraduate alma mater is located in Lexington, VA and every November I go up there for the Founder's Day dinner. It always amazes me how polite, hospitable, and friendly the hotel clerks and maids, the fast food employees, and people in general are there in the Shenandoah Valley.

I'm pretty much over how people say they like living here because "the people are nice." No, they're not. It's been 15 years of economic downturn and people are surly, on-edge, racist, uneducated substance-abusers. This is a lousy region to live, and a lousy region to raise a family. Detroit is the punching bag but the suburbs are trash too. It's all one big void of lousy roads, lousy schools, lousy economy, lousy transit, and lousy people.
    You must be an absolute joy in person! In fact I think we may have met before.

I used to frequent a local bar and this grumpy old man would come in nearly every time I was there. He would always order the same thing and bitch about how long it took, then he'd complain about how it was cooked and when it came time to pay the bill he'd argue about that as well.
    There were probably a dozen other bars and restaurants within a couple blocks of this place, but even after all the complaining that he hated the food and the service he'd still be back the next day! The owner of the place said the guy had been coming in the place for over a decade and had always had the same chipper demeanor.

No real point in my story other than if you hate this area and the people as much as you claim why the Hell are you still living here?

As mad as I was about the beating of the Roseville man in Detroit, this put things in perspective. Slurring a US Servicemember? Who are these people?

Oh yeah, our neighbors.

The gas stations in Detroit suck. So do the ones in the suburbs. Detroit is full of thugs, and so are the suburbs.

Just move already!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    There isn't a perfect place of course, but you'd be hard pressed to find any place as polarizing as the Detroit region.

There's a reason why Atlanta, for example, became known as the city which is too busy to hate while Detroit has become the most segregated region in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Here in SE Florida, people are pretty surly, pushy, impolite, and unfriendly, but it is a whole lot safer than south of 8 Mile.
    ::cough::cough::

Florida may be just the fourth most populous state in the U.S., but it contains more of nation's 100 most dangerous cities -- a total of 11 -- than any other state, including California [[10), Texas [[five), and New York [[four).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/31/most-dangerous-cities-florida_n_4524866.html

As someone who has worked exclusively in the City of Detroit for 34.5 years and fills up in the city at least 3 times a month, I can say that other then a kid or adult offering to pump my gas or asking for a handout I have never had a hint of a problem at any city gas station. Gas is sometimes cheaper in the city [[don't know why I give a shit, company pays for my gas anyway) I'm always out of the hood by dark so I'm not around at night, can't speak to that.

Desperate people do desperate things. I remember a month or so back watching the news and theres a story about thieves using blowtorches on gas pumps on the eastside to get thru the security implementation and steal gas

Whew! After spending 2 weeks in a town full of arrogant east coast loud mouthed jerks in FL and having complete strangers come up almost every night and bash Detroit just because I was wearing Detroit gear... It feels good to be home where nobody rips metro Detroit a new asshole like the folks who live here. A trash filled punching bag? Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Uhhh, what's that got to do with anything. I don't feel military or ex-military deserve anything special of any kind. A lot of them cause just as much trouble as anyone else.

Not that anybody should be hassled when doing anything as mundane as buying gas, but military or ex-military gets no special pass.
    So laying your life on the line for your country deserves no special consideration? I think they deserve at least a little courtesy, not that you seem to know what that word means.

Umm, eh-what!?

Danny, you're digging a deep hole you're gonna be obliged to fall [[jump) in on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    A typical Detroit black thing. A Ham's curse!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-14 at 11:11 AM.

I have a hard and fast rule: if I see folks standing about and ANY gas station: I keep driving. I have reported stations that chronically have people loitering around. I know some stations double as mini-marts, but for the most part I expect people to be about gassing their cars and keeping it moving.

I had my wallet gone thru on a work site -- ID and Debit card taken [[I don't carry much on me) and the perpetrators went straight to the shade-tree gas stations to commit fraud. Having my zip code they ran about three 'pump-your-gas-for-a-deal' successes, before my bank texted me re. the suspicious activity, freezing the card.

The perps went to NINE east side gas stations plying my debit card by then dead and useless.

I've had a few creeps try to sell me gas from stolen debit card years back. I now avoid stations with folks hanging about with nonsense and scams.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sorry Hermod, No Sale. I quit buying gasoline in Detroit a couple of years back because, well, I just wanted to get gas and go. It was a constant barage of questions, sob stories about bus money, or being asked if I was looking for a good time...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-14 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Actually gas is cheaper the closer you get to the gasoline/ oil refineries which are in the southwest area/ subs. I work in Dearborn and gas is a nickle or so cheaper always, down river further south is is cheaper.

I do use a gas station in the D on Woodward but they have a bouncer/ security person [[retired cop perhaps) who is 'open' carry. I've gotten to know him so he comes out and watches as I an other women pump gas as he can. Otherwise he watches thru the window and door.
    Yes. The Mobil on Woodward/Forest almost always has a security guard or a cop there.

Yes it does. I go to the Marathon down by Hazelwood, it's a dive but they have a nice bouncer/ security person. They don't allow folks to hang out hustling you.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Yes. The Mobil on Woodward/Forest almost always has a security guard or a cop there.

Where is the coverage of this story in the local papers? They're all over the other gas station beating...

I have a hard and fast rule, it I see folks standing about and ANY gas station: I keep driving. I have reported stations that chronically have folks loitering around. I know some stations double as mini-marts, but for the most part I expect people to be about gassing their cars and keeping it moving.

I had my wallet gone thru on a work site -- ID and Debit card only taken [[I don't carry much on me) and the perpetrators went straight to the shade-tree gas stations to commit fraud. Having my zip code they ran about three 'pump-your-gas-for-a-deal' successes, before my bank texted me re. the suspicious activity, freezing the card.

The perps went to NINE east side gas stations plying my debit card by then dead and useless.

I've had a few creeps try to sell me gas from stolen debit card years back. I now avoid stations with folks hanging about with nonsense and scams.

I take it you're not looking for "a good time" .

^^^ Nah. Just affordable gas and go on about me business...... Bad times is what await most.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-14 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I have never been hassled at a gas station, ever, in my life.

I also won't stop at gas stations in crap areas, though.

If you're at the wrong place it the wrong time. You will be robbed! So be careful.

Umm, eh-what!?

Danny, you're digging a deep hole you're gonna be obliged to fall [[jump) in on that one.

It's all in the Bible. African people, Cush, Ethiopians all the way down to Zulus and Shabazz are Hamitic people. If you have read your Bible. Ham saw Noah drunk and in the stupor state. Noah curse Ham's Son Canaan for invading his privacy. So Canaan and his descendants will be living in cursed lives. Every tribe of Canaan to the various African peoples will be bullied and tortured by other races. Leading to this point that they will be oppressed. Today Hamitic descendants will be ticked off on anything that society throws at them. It's in our their nature. The black thing will continue until society demands their respect.

WESTLAND, MI -- U.S. Army veteran Adam Wagner suffered a split lip and black eye during a fight with three men in their 20s outside a Westland 7-Eleven store last Thursday at 1:30 a.m.

Wagner's combatants were arrested, but Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Tuesday they will not be charged.

"After a review of the facts and evidence, it has been determined that the complaining witness in the case was the initial aggressor and was consistently the aggressor throughout the incident," Worthy's office said in a statement Tuesday.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._in_westl.html

Not surprised one bit am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    So laying your life on the line for your country deserves no special consideration?
    No US Servicemember has done that since the 1940s.

I've read that and many other sections of the Bible Danny. I was speaking to how what you said could be read by some. Also there are some variations on how that particular book of the Bible is understood/ interpreted and used by some.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's all in the Bible. African people, Cush, Ethiopians all the way down to Zulus and Shabazz are Hamitic people. If you have read your Bible. Ham saw Noah drunk and in the stupor state. Noah curse Ham's Son Canaan for invading his privacy. So Canaan and his descendants will be living in cursed lives...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-14 at 06:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast