Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking for place to hold a wedding service in downtown detroit

Lesbian couple looking for a place/church to hold a wedding service in downtown detroit [[students.....so nothing too expensive). Lost venue that was currently booked - have place to hold reception - just need place for the ceremony in August. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. My first thought is to consider your guests and select a location within walking distance of the reception. Hence if you could let everyone know where the reception is located, that might help folks focus their thinking.

if that suggestion is too invasive, I suggest you speak with Rev. Matt Bode at Spirit of Hope. I don't have his contact info on me, but he is on Facebook and is an exceptional man. He is very involved in the LGTB community and would be very welcoming.

Some suggestions for LGBT-friendly congregations:

First Unitarian Universalist Church of Detroit on Cass Avenue in Midtown;
    Christ Church on East Jefferson at Rivard;
    Church of the Messiah on East Grand Blvd at East Lafayette.

I'm not in the inner circle, but I know that Central United Methodist on Woodward at Adams has a long history of progressive politics. It's been years since I've been there, but they also have a reasonably large room/hall upstairs.

I know you could have it at Fort Street Presbyterian Church.
    Here's a link
    http://www.fortstreet.org/Facility/weddingatfs.html

just want to say thank to all that responded!! much appreciated.

One stop shopping might be the Fisher Mansion. You can get hitched in the gardens out there and have the reception inside the mansion.

I was there once for a pretty snazzy wedding a few years back. I don't know if the Hare Krishnas have kept the place up or not but it's a pretty neat place on the waterfront.

And food wise, you'd have to go vegan fare and no alcohol so that could be a deal breaker.

But just a suggestion. And congrats.

Look at St John-St Luke on Russel just south of Eastern Market. Fabulous historic structure. United Church of Christ is embraceable of all people. Cheap too usually about $50 bucks per event.