Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    My point is that these charged events are, in all reality, isolated events that are blown out of proportion smearing the vast majority of good people everywhere.
    How the blankity-blank is it isolated? We have at least one murder - often unspeakably brutal - every day. We have more murders every year than New York City. Where can I get one of these rose-colored glasses? Second thought, I don't want them. I don't want to walk around like some fuzzy-headed kid all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I completely disagree. Guns, whether carried legally or not, make a society less safe. People have the legal right to CPL, but I don't think it makes them safer [[this old dude could have easily had his weapon taken by a mob of 12).
    Well as someone that has shot wild animals I can tell you that when you shoot one the others don't normally stick around to see what happened. The article says that he did defend himself temporarily until the mob overcame him. That makes it appear that he would have had time to access and use a pistol, and hopefully ended the confrontation.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; April-04-14 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Jesus people, what the heck is wrong with you? If you really want to clear the corner just use a claymore and be done with it.

can anyone imagine the headlines if the white guy had started shooting?

With our biased media my guess is the headlines would be something similar to the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Honestly, if I was this guy I'd take that unwanted notoriety any day as opposed to being beaten by a mob and lying in hospital in critical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Also, Morang & Balfour, that's like Balduck Park/St. Johns area. Nice homes, generally considered semi-safeish, kinda. You could probably walk from this intersection to million dollar homes in the Pointes.
    Dude, you haven't been there in a while. Since the housing bubble that area has been the forbidden zone.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Jesus people, what the heck is wrong with you? If you really want to clear the corner just use a claymore and be done with it.

can anyone imagine the headlines if the white guy had started shooting?

jeebus, killing people is serious business. You better look deep and determine if you really want to carry that around. Those faces you kill don't die, they live in your mind every second of every day.
    I bet he'd take the headlines over the hospital.

I don't consider myself a pro-gun person. I am a registered Democrat, as well. However from a strictly hypothetical sense, I imagine that if he had discharged a weapon, the mob would have scattered, and he would have had time to get back in his truck and drive himself to a police station.

If he killed someone, that's fine. These people attacked him with the intend to kill him. Sometimes life comes down to kill or be killed. I'm sorry that doesn't fit with the gumdrop narrative from our whimsical leadership here.

Instead this is preferable? What color is the sky in your world? Mine is Detroit grey, and the situation on the ground is usually much uglier.

I haven't read this thread as I am sure it is ugly, filled with generalization, etc. I will leave my comment then bow out: This whole incident is disgusting, there is no excuse for it and these shitbags should get a minimum of 20 years in prison.

Sadly, they will be identified, and if charged, will likely get a slap on the wrist from our pitiful courts.

I hope the driver and the child both recover from their injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I bet he'd take the headlines over the hospital.

I don't consider myself a pro-gun person. I am a registered Democrat, as well. However from a strictly hypothetical sense, I imagine that if he had discharged a weapon, the mob would have scattered, and he would have had time to get back in his truck and drive himself to a police station.

If he killed someone, that's fine. These people attacked him with the intend to kill him. Sometimes life comes down to kill or be killed. I'm sorry that doesn't fit with the gumdrop narrative from our whimsical leadership here.

Instead this is preferable? What color is the sky in your world? Mine is Detroit grey, and the situation on the ground is usually much uglier.
    That's pretty much my take on it as well. There's a reason you don't see the news headline "Armed man beaten to death by angry mob".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    That's pretty much my take on it as well. There's a reason you don't see the news headline "Armed man beaten to death by angry mob".
    Or you don't hear that headline because the whole to death by angry mob would trump if someone is armed or not.

^Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    How many breathless announcements of a new coffee shop downtown or a new grocery store in midtown are drowned out by a story like this hitting national media? I'm not trivializing the real tragedy in this incident by casting it in terms of the city's PR, but the public outside Detroit is more aware of all those elephants in the living room than a lot of earnest civic boosters.
    You do realize all the stories about a business actually opening in Detroit are media "gimmees", Media outlest desperately seeking to bring any good news to the Detroit story. An actual, functioning grocery store opening up is not generally a huge story. It has come to almost be absurd, people here are so accustomed to the problems we all think it is actually newsworthy that normal life does exist in some Detroit Neighborhoods. That fact that normal life is such an anomaly in the city that it merits note... that is really sad.

I'd like to know who Duggan and Jones are talking to when they ask for calm and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMack View Post
    You do realize all the stories about a business actually opening in Detroit are media "gimmees", Media outlest desperately seeking to bring any good news to the Detroit story. An actual, functioning grocery store opening up is not generally a huge story. It has come to almost be absurd, people here are so accustomed to the problems we all think it is actually newsworthy that normal life does exist in some Detroit Neighborhoods. That fact that normal life is such an anomaly in the city that it merits note... that is really sad.
    ^^^Completely agreed.

This is the impression of why you need CCW in the D.It's a shame, but this clip reminds me of living in Hamtramick before "I got out of Dodge".I still love Detroit, and wish things would get better,but this kind of shit is always going to make news...and not in a positive sense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLdIKlXl3ZA

Yeah since many posters here have already declared where the "black" posters stand on this issue then I as a Black Man that has lived 32 out of 42 years of his life in the D will continue to be silent. Clearly since every last person of color hasn't come out and condemn the idiots that attacked this man then apparently that is a clear indictment that we all support them!

I concur with JT1, there are lots of asinine comments being made. This will be the only time I participate on this thread.....
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; April-04-14 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Yeah since many posters here have already declared where the "black" posters stand on this issue then I as a Black Man that has lived 32 out of 42 years of his life in the D will continue to be silent. Clearly since every last person of color hasn't come out and condemn the idiots that attacked this man then apparently that is a clear indictment that we all support them!

I concur with JT1, there are lots of asinine comments being made. This will be the only time I participate on this thread.....
    My point is that the sheeple of America WILL take it as an example and run with it.All of the people of the D need to speak up and say " This is not us.Our citizens do not condone this kind of behavior". It is hard work,but maintaining our freedom isn't easy.There will be a lot of damage done to the city because of incidents like this.I will be following this incident and I hope that the majority of people see this as the outrageous response that it was.
    Maybe we need a law that says " No one is allowed to stand within 3 feet of the curb while waiting to cross the street"?Would that have done anything to prevent what happened? Please respond...I truly would appreciate you're comment.

If you want to see real depravity, check the comments below this CBS story:
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...-a-hate-crime/

This is a terrible crime and I think it should be treated as a hate crime, but the complete lack of logic and the audacity of the anonymous internet [[which btw I think by and large is much better than the known internet such as Facebook) with these kinds of stories, is equally as troubling. People on the street and on the internet feel they have carte balance to act like Neanderthals, horrific.

I did learn what white people thought of blacks in 1907 though [[some guy linked a bunch of anti-black literature in that mess), but I'm not sure how to process that information either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Ummmmm.....yeah smmh

Did anyone else notice, if they viewed the CCTV video, that the youngster when hit by the truck may have walked into the side of the truck. I say this because if he was in front of the truck he would not have been laying where he was. He went straight down. This young man was far, far luckier than the driver.

5500+ Comments suggests some interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    If you want to see real depravity, check the comments below this CBS story:
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...-a-hate-crime/

I see the local Mainstream Media, politicians and Pollyanna's, [[folk's with a positivity bias), are attempting to polishing this turd.

Beware the spinmiesters...

Don't, don't, don't believe the hype.

I will have to search for the article I read yesterday, but from what it said, these kids were running back and forth across the street in traffic all afternoon, there were witnesses; was it a game of chicken gone horribly wrong? While driving through Detroit in the past, I personally have encountered young blacks casually walking in the street, against traffic, down the middle of residential streets just daring the driver to come close and not getting out of the way. It happened to me years ago and I remember it well.
    What were these boys doing standing on the curb so close to heavy traffic? From the video, it doesn't look like the boy 'slipped', it looks like he stepped into the truck because he went down right there, he wasn't thrown forward from a hit from the front of the truck. No matter, Mr. Utash was beaten by a pack of rabid animals for doing the right thing. I pray for him and his complete recovery and I pray that when they catch these snakes they don't just slap them on the wrist because they may be juveniles. They need to be caged for the test of their lives? This was a hate crime and needs to be treated as such.
    Last edited by cla1945; April-05-14 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Did anyone else notice, if they viewed the CCTV video, that the youngster when hit by the truck may have walked into the side of the truck. I say this because if he was in front of the truck he would not have been laying where he was. He went straight down. This young man was far, far luckier than the driver.
    The kid got brushed by the truck. I have seen a kid that size hit by the bumper of a vehicle going at a lower rate of speed than this truck {note, do not feel the truck driver did anything wrong in that he was past a potential collision and the kid walked into the side of the truck}. Anyhow, the impact I saw caved in the child's leg, threw her up like a rag doll such that she impacted the top of her skull on the sidewalk. I was in the vehicle behind the one that struck the child. I estimated the speed of impact at about 20 mph. The kid in the impact we are discussing did not break his leg.

The bystanders who let this beat down by brazen criminals occur are cowards. One has a duty to humanity to try to stop shit like that.

To be completely honest, the area of Detroit that I grew up in had the same type of thugs who seemed to think they had right to dispense street justice to any outsider who they deemed to have did something wrong. IMO, they were just violent sociopaths who were looking for a "reason".

To be fair to those who did nothing, these thugs are dangerous.

The group in my old neighborhood fire bombed the car of a young couple they had beef with. One of that thug group was notorious pyromaniac. The sound of auto glass breaking and the low whooomph sound of the bomb igniting leaves a lasting impression.

So I am saying that being brave and doing what I right can extract a price.

BTW, the thugs where I lived were white. They were later eliminated by thugs who were black.

So I don't blame or lay any guilt trip on any white or black person who decides to leave Detroit. Nor any suburban person who wants nothing to do with all that.

What I did learn is that the good people stuck for whatever reason in one of these urban clusterf[[cks needed to stick together in order to survive. I had my ass bailed many times by some of my black neighbors.

So I hope that race can be left out of this.

My opinion of the people who did his beating.

Only the lowest form of life gangs up on the weak beats them. It brings back bad memories of some roughing up I got from the thugs I described above. When I was young and small, I as their "sport". When I got strong, I was left alone. That tells me all I need to know. They are cowards who run from any fair fight.

I hope they are caught and put away for a very long time.

I apologize for my crappy spelling and syntax. For whatever reason, the box to input data will often not respond to my key strokes, and I don't have all day to keep retyping.

27 Mile Guest

Why haven't their been any arrests? Why was the boy's father on tv claiming he "ain't seen who was beating that man"? Protecting the perps because of no snitching? Also lovely to see so many healthy males were loitering at a gas station/liquor store during a workday.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast