Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    This cannot be polished unless you want to smear yourself in the attempt.
    So true.

Whenever sad events like this or the porch shooting occurs that have a racial dimension we can be sure that many will exploit them to make an 'argument by anecdote'. Race-baiters try to inflate the tragedy into an indictment of all people of a group of people they hate. All people in the groups they dislike are smeared by their hatred and used as reasons why groups they identify themselves with do or don't do something.

Neither of the these tragedies are happening everyday, everywhere but somehow these isolated events seem to bring out the worst and most irrational in people. Long before the facts are vetted in the rational setting of a court of law, the irrational condemnations are blabbed, everyone is painted with the same brush and the poison of hatred nurtured.

That's the larger tragedy that gets overlooked.

I see my post was removed again.

To anyone legally able, capable and responsible enough to carry a firearm get your CPL! This man probably could have avoided this brutal beating if he had been armed and the party store owner that was recently beaten to death would most likely still be alive as well if he had been carrying.

The silence,the lack of outrage, from the black community bears a strong resemblance to the silence,and lack of outrage from the muslim community concerning muslim terrorism.

How about white apoligetics? Does this help the situation.

Where is the outrage and marching from the white community? What's missing?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-04-14 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So true.

Whenever sad events like this or the porch shooting occurs that have a racial dimension we can be sure that many will exploit them to make an 'argument by anecdote'. Race-baiters try to inflate the tragedy into an indictment of all people of a group of people they hate. All people in the groups they dislike are smeared by their hatred and used as reasons why groups they identify themselves with do or don't do something.

Neither of the these tragedies are happening everyday, everywhere but somehow these isolated events seem to bring out the worst and most irrational in people. Long before the facts are vetted in the rational setting of a court of law, the irrational condemnations are blabbed, everyone is painted with the same brush and the poison of hatred nurtured.

That's the larger tragedy that gets overlooked.
    I can't help but wonder what the posts, responses, and reactions would be if this was a 54 year old black man, beaten within an inch of his life, in, let's say Warren, by a dozen able white men, while onlookers cheered them on? No response is necessary, Lowell, it's a rhetorical question.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Umm, yeah, sure. You mean like all that civil unrest after that white guy shot that unarmed black girl on his porch?
    To me, that isn't remotely similar. Why would you think than incident would shock the senses in a similar manner? I mean, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

To anyone legally able, capable and responsible enough to carry a firearm get your CPL!
    I completely disagree. Guns, whether carried legally or not, make a society less safe. People have the legal right to CPL, but I don't think it makes them safer [[this old dude could have easily had his weapon taken by a mob of 12).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    To me, that isn't remotely similar. Why would you think than incident would shock the senses in a similar manner? I mean, seriously?
    Of course you don't. You have a hard time seeing things outside of your own paradigm.

Just want to shout out to Lowell for the post above.

Thank you.

[Momentary derailment of thread here: Eber Brock Ward: do you have a familial connection to the original EBW? http://mostlydetroit.blogspot.com/20...ber-brock.html]

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Of course you don't. You have a hard time seeing things outside of your own paradigm.
    True, we all do, yourself included. I still don't see how you see remote equivalents between

1. One guy acting alone in the middle of the night vs. 12 guys acting in public in broad daylight on a major thoroughfare
    2. A victim on private property vs a victim on public property
    3. A taped beating and robbery vs a single shooting
    4. The fact the man in Dearborn Heights is being tried for murder while the assailants in Detroit are protected under code of "no snitch"
    5. The fact that the man in Dearborn Heights could at least have the possible excuse of "defending his home" while there is no such self-defense excuse for such a vicious beatdown/robbery
    6. The fact that the Detroit victim was working at the time, and did everything 100% by the books, while the Dearborn Heights victim was completely falling-down drunk and did nothing by the books
    7. The fact that a young boy was lying injured in the streets, and these cretins first instinct is to attack the driver

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

To anyone legally able, capable and responsible enough to carry a firearm get your CPL! This man probably could have avoided this brutal beating if he had been armed and the party store owner that was recently beaten to death would most likely still be alive as well if he had been carrying.
    No advertising allowed. You cited businesses with phone number etc. Make your point leave out the ads.

Detroit....it will kill you whether driving through town or driving one of its cars in your own town.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I can't help but wonder what the posts, responses, and reactions would be if this was a 54 year old black man, beaten within an inch of his life, in, let's say Warren, by a dozen able white men, while onlookers cheered them on? No response is necessary, Lowell, it's a rhetorical question.
    My point is that these charged events are, in all reality, isolated events that are blown out of proportion smearing the vast majority of good people everywhere. Like the saying goes about aviation, no one gets pumped up about 10,000 planes landing safely every day. Nobody likewise gets pumped about the countless acts of friendliness and civility that occur every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I completely disagree. Guns, whether carried legally or not, make a society less safe. People have the legal right to CPL, but I don't think it makes them safer [[this old dude could have easily had his weapon taken by a mob of 12).
    Check that. A six shooter would reduce the mob of twelve to six and a glock would take 12 to 3.

Reality would be they would scatter or whip out there own illegal weaponry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    My point is that these charged events are, in all reality, isolated events that are blown out of proportion smearing the vast majority of good people everywhere. Like the saying goes about aviation, no one gets pumped up about 10,000 planes landing safely every day. Nobody likewise gets pumped about the countless acts of friendliness and civility that occur every day.
    Aviation is the safest mode of travel.

What about something where the frequency is more common but not such that it is the majority of cases that causes a lot of peoples panties to get bunched up?

Think M.A.D.

Jesus people, what the heck is wrong with you? If you really want to clear the corner just use a claymore and be done with it.

can anyone imagine the headlines if the white guy had started shooting?

jeebus, killing people is serious business. You better look deep and determine if you really want to carry that around. Those faces you kill don't die, they live in your mind every second of every day.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    And people don't realize that hitting a moving target with deadly force is VERY HARD. Life isn't a Steven Segal movie. Imagine if the guy blew away some passerbys or the kid in the incident?

You don't need to kill anybody unless it's kill or be killed. The idea is to buy time and space to get back in your truck and run.

Dan, that is boolla. You never pull your gun unless you intend to use it, and you don't shoot to wound, you shoot to kill.

kill.

before anyone advocates for a CCW you have to come to grips with the idea of killing.

I could only imagine the headline, "Suburban man hits boy with car and then shoots and kills 5 men in Detroit before being beaten to death"

I'm not convinced a gun could have made this situation better.

Jesus people, what the heck is wrong with you? If you really want to clear the corner just use a claymore and be done with it.

jeebus, killing people is serious business. You better look deep and determine if you really want to carry that around. Those faces you kill don't die, they live in your mind every second of every day.
    Spot on. He should just accept that "he got his".......

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    [Momentary derailment of thread here: Eber Brock Ward: do you have a familial connection to the original EBW? http://mostlydetroit.blogspot.com/20...ber-brock.html]
    Nope. Just picked a random early Detroiter for my login.

This thread in a nutshell is also why Detroit and Michigan will continue to decline.

We may do a good job at putting own our fake smiles during the fireworks shows, thanksgiving parades and sporting events, but buried under that is so much bitterness, divisiveness and hatred for one another and that energy simply scare anyone away who's not from Detroit/Michigan, an anyone who's from Detroit/Michigan that wants to end this crap.

Most other places are too busy trying to succeed, and instead we're too busy slinging mud at each other.

The 1990 Primetime Story tells the truth, even today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbsgLcV4o1k

Dan, that is boolla. You never pull your gun unless you intend to use it, and you don't shoot to wound, you shoot to kill.

kill.

before anyone advocates for a CCW you have to come to grips with the idea of killing.
    That must apply to law abiding citizens only eh"?

FYI a CCW is a felony if you don't have a CPL.

Would things have been different if the victim was carrying a weapon in the open for all to see?

When in rome do as the romans do.

I see this gun thing is not your cup of tea.

That's cool...

Get used to the idea that people are going to have to do extraordinary things in extraordinary situations.

Or do you believe this is all business as usual?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast