Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Animals. Reminds me of the Detroiters who robbed the corpse of a new mother who'd just been killed in a hit and run while her husband lay unconscious in the seat next to her on Alter Road + Mack.

And this obviously opens the door to a viable defense for future hit-and-runs like this when pedestrians are involved [[in Detroit). Ain't nobody wanting no beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    People I knew were wanting out of there in the mid-1980's. It's a shame because I thought it was an interesting area of the east side.
    In the late 40s and early 50s, it was wonderful. Mostly southern German Catholics with some Bohemians [[Czechs) mixed in. Safe, close communities, and lots of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    People I knew were wanting out of there in the mid-1980's. It's a shame because I thought it was an interesting area of the east side.
    I grew up on the northwest side of Detroit [[Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins) That was a somewhat nicer area than that Morang neighborhood we're referring to. People were wanting out and getting out of that Littlefield area in the mid - 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't think they will go anywhere. I think the best thing that we can hope for us to contain them, create safety, then help assimilate them into a non-violent culture.
    Contain them? How's that supposed to happen?

So the victim is a 54-year old tree-trimmer from Roseville who was working when the incident happened. He has no health insurance and supposedly it isn't looking good for his survival. He's white.

Police investigation indicates boy stepped into traffic and driver was not at fault. Also, child's father arrested on unrelated warrant. I assume father is black because child is black.
    Last edited by Bham1982; April-03-14 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    So the victim is a 54-year old tree-trimmer from Roseville who was working when the incident happened. He has no health insurance and supposedly it isn't looking good for his survival. He's white.

Police investigation indicates boy stepped into traffic and driver was not at fault. Also, child's father arrested on unrelated warrant. I assume father is black because child is black.
    Latest reports state that he was also robbed. Listened to Terry Foster [[97.1) on the radio and in his opinion it was racially motivated.

I don't know if it was racially motivated. I could see these inbred cretins doing this to a black working stiff too.

That said, wow, can you imagine if the race was reversed on this one? It would be the biggest national racial incident since Rodney King, maybe worse. I could see civil unrest.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't think they will go anywhere. I think the best thing that we can hope for us to contain them, create safety, then help assimilate them into a non-violent culture.
    What I hope for is for them to either be put in a cage or put down like the animals they are.

If anyone was interested in helping: http://www.gofundme.com/81r9sk

Came across this on Facebook from a mutual friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In the late 40s and early 50s, it was wonderful. Mostly southern German Catholics with some Bohemians [[Czechs) mixed in. Safe, close communities, and lots of kids.

That neighborhood was great for many years after that....well into the 1970's. A lot of DPD brass lived around there. The old Detroit News photographer Scotty Kilpatrick lived on Roxbury, Charlie Cain [[A.P Bureau Chief) on Balfour, and the pro bowler Bob Crawford lived in the neighborhood but closer to Denby. Paul Bonus who owned Haas Roast Beef at Gratiot & Outer Drive lived on Morang. It was a good location if you worked downtown or in the east side inner ring burbs. Kavan's Colony East on Morang was as mentioned before was wildly popular. The various hospital people [[St. John's, Cottage, Bon Secours) along with several Detroit restaurant people use to frequent that joint. I guess the only constant is change and not always for the better.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-04-14 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I grew up on the northwest side of Detroit [[Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins) That was a somewhat nicer area than that Morang neighborhood we're referring to. People were wanting out and getting out of that Littlefield area in the mid - 1960's.
    Well, I know the Jewish population was leaving by the thousands at that time in the neighborhoods east of Greenfield. Northwest Detroit generally had better housing stock when compared to the Northeast Detroit. It seemed like in more instances the neighborhoods on the east side with brick single family homes and were largely Roman Catholic had slower flight.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-04-14 at 02:44 AM.

If any white person needs a reminder why they didn't move to Detroit this is it. Hate; racism; mob action; robbery; [[murder?) all on display simultaneously by the inmates. As good as PC Craig is proving to be he cannot change the culture and he won't be there forever.
    Last edited by coracle; April-04-14 at 06:42 AM.

How many breathless announcements of a new coffee shop downtown or a new grocery store in midtown are drowned out by a story like this hitting national media? I'm not trivializing the real tragedy in this incident by casting it in terms of the city's PR, but the public outside Detroit is more aware of all those elephants in the living room than a lot of earnest civic boosters.

Where is the most high Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton when you really need them? Oh, I forgot, they only show up when it a white on black hate crime, right?

This white citizen is beaten almost to death by a pack of animals just looking to kill someone for the fun of it, no matter or no concern that the white man was not at fault and couldn't have possibly stopped in time to avoid hitting the child. After the 10 or 12 cowards beat him, they robbed him!

For those of you who want to jump on me for speaking the truth, reverse the situation and imagine if this happened in Grosse Pointe and a black man hit a white child....does anyone believe the neighborhood teens would beat the man almost to death, then rob him....I think not. Civilized citizens don't react that way.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Did they give him a sobriety test?
    Probably not, they were too busy trying to save his life after it was nearly beaten out of him.

I agree with the others that are expressing frustration that this was probably a race-motivated crime.

Detroit\urban black America has a culture problem. The leaders within the black community need to stand up and say that the most positive impact for black people will happen when black people change their culture.

I know these are just the actions of a group of individuals, but this simply would NOT happen anywhere else outside of urban black America. If this were in the suburbs, people would have stopped to help, not hurt.

I hope the DPD gets every last one of these fools and put the hood rats in jail.

Let's not forget that these folks don't represent all Detroit\black people. The majority of folks in Detroit would help, not hurt. It's still shocking that there are places where something like this could happen.
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-04-14 at 07:38 AM.

Not politically correct to say, but this beating is a hate crime in my opinion. He was certainly not being 'loved'. The rub is that many stood by and watched. It would be interesting to know what he said as the situation unfolded, he may have contested that it was an accident. But once a mob movement starts it's over! That's the nature of that - as evidenced in this case. The store owner nearby said he could not interfere for fear of looting in his store happening.

With the high number of people involved in the beating it's highly unlikely that will be caught. Very unlikely. The family of the boy say they were tending to the child. It is also very possible IMO that the family was not involved in the assault. But someone knows something.

Further, while some may have felt or feel their was some form 'social justice' met, the stealing of his wallet etc. cancels that out. Period. This is of course now national news -- without differentiation to those who abhor such behavior[[s).
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-04-14 at 07:56 AM.

Yes, I am black and IMO the double standard is getting harder to square and ignore.

The silence is actually serving another interest [[ironically); fueling justification for some to make harsh judgements against ALL BLACK PEOPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Where is the most high Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton when you really need them? Oh, I forgot, they only show up when it a white on black hate crime, right?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-04-14 at 07:57 AM.

I am trying to stay positive about Detroit making a comeback but every time something like this happens it makes it real hard. And as one poster said, just where are Al, Jessie, Malik, and The Detroit 300?
    Don't try to polish this, it is a turd.

So Im a little confused after watching all the reporting on this story, all 3 news outlets said they were asking for help identifying the attackers yet they never describe what the attackers looked like, what they were wearing, just simply amazing the lengths they will go to do down play what really happen here. So much for doing the right thing...this man is scarred for life...that is if he makes it. That neighborhood used to be rife with cops and firemen, bet the outcome would have been different 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't know if it was racially motivated. I could see these inbred cretins doing this to a black working stiff too.

That said, wow, can you imagine if the race was reversed on this one? It would be the biggest national racial incident since Rodney King, maybe worse. I could see civil unrest.
    Umm, yeah, sure. You mean like all that civil unrest after that white guy shot that unarmed black girl on his porch?

As the 'notables' continue to remain silent the voice getting LOUDER is the that all Detroiter's - and let's not mince words here - specifically 'black people' agree to what went happened. Not true! But that general view is growing.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    I am trying to stay positive about Detroit making a comeback but every time something like this happens it makes it real hard. And as one poster said, just where are Al, Jessie, Malik, and The Detroit 300?
    Don't try to polish this, it is a turd.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-04-14 at 08:10 AM.

This cannot be polished unless you want to smear yourself in the attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Don't try to polish this, it is a turd

There are some conflicting angles here, based on the different sources of the reporting. At Deadline Detroit, the headline at first implied that the boy’s wallet was taken.
    Over at CBSDetroit, a reporter spoke with the adult son of the beating victim, who is now alleging that this was some kind of robbery set up.
    “As far as a hate crime, it might be,” he said. “You know, it’s like you go in Detroit and you’re white, you don’t belong. Seriously. I’ve been pulled over by police before and they’re like ‘Get back across 8 Mile,’ like I’m not supposed to be over there, like I’m not allowed to go in Detroit.”
    I think it also bears mentioning that the family of the boy involved has condemned the attack, according to reports.

It's a Detroit black thing folks. Don't mess with them when you out in the ghetto hoods.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast