Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

In L.A. they have Rodney King. In Detroit we have Steve Utash.

In L.A they have Reginald Denny. In Detroit we have Steve Utash. In Jasper they have James Byrd Jr. In Fort Collins they have Matthew Shepard. All victims of the same crime.
    Last edited by Hastings; April-15-14 at 07:30 PM.

So the alleged perps flip off the tv cameras today and this thread is dying from inattention while we all discuss the bathrooms on the island,Fiacano,if Warren city hall is going to sue it's self,Smart buses,and the Pistons & Red wings. I gotta take a Detroit yes break or I'm gonna get bounced out anyway. Any one got any suggestions of other Detroit forums that are a little more meat and potatoes? I'm concerned for the neighborhoods, downtown as been just fine for 30 years.I hate to say it but as long as the violence and killing continue Detroit ain't got a chance.
    Last edited by Hastings; April-21-14 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    ..And where are Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Mr. Jackson, who never met a camera they didn't like?
    Just saw this interview with Jesse Jackson:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014041...h-attack-a-sin

Better late than never, Pam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Better late than never, Pam.
    Well now I'm impressed, [[rolls eyes). The only reason he bothered was pressure from the media and the great show of solidarity @ the vigil. He figured he'd better jump on the bandwagon while a seat was still available. A good publicity stunt for the Reverend, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well now I'm impressed, [[rolls eyes). The only reason he bothered was pressure from the media and the great show of solidarity @ the vigil. He figured he'd better jump on the bandwagon while a seat was still available. A good publicity stunt for the Reverend, though.
    If you read the article it says he was out of the country at the time it happened. So he gets slammed for not making a statement then when asked about it, it's still a publicity stunt. Ok, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    If you read the article it says he was out of the country at the time it happened. So he gets slammed for not making a statement then when asked about it, it's still a publicity stunt. Ok, whatever.
    If the general consensus was the driver was flying through "our" neighborhoods, maming "our" children, while taking away "our" tree trimming jobs, you can bet the Reverend would have been heard from long before this. I don't need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blow.

At Utash Court Hearing, Suspects' Relatives Laugh At Assault Details

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...29kw8.facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    At Utash Court Hearing, Suspects' Relatives Laugh At Assault Details

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...29kw8.facebook
    The Detroit Free Press didn't seem to find these details very important in their main story on the hearing from yesterday.

People who do things like beating this man and those who mock and laugh about it. They 'aren't getting away' with anything they'll die someday and stand face to face with God. Then it will be our turn to laugh.........

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    People who do things like beating this man and those who mock and laugh about it. They 'aren't getting away' with anything they'll die someday and stand face to face with God. Then it will be our turn to laugh.........
    Not good enough for those of us who don't believe in the magic man in the sky. These people need to receive justice in this world because there may or may not be some karmic retribution in the afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    The Detroit Free Press didn't seem to find these details very important in their main story on the hearing from yesterday.
    The Free Press is essentially the Pravda of Detroit. Rochelle Riley and Mitch Albom and crew are in charge of maintaining the bright, sunny notion that Detroit is banding together over adversity, no matter what the facts may be. Accurate reporting is not relevant.

They've been falling over themselves to spin this as the community coming together and making this better, or some warmed-over shmaltzy nonsense. Well, that doesn't really help Mr. Utash, and eventually the truth comes to light that a certain segment of people are quite delighted that he was beaten within inches of his life and recovery seems distant, if not impossible.

I'm going to be honest: I really don't trust the vast majority of my fellow Detroiters. I believe that if I were involved in an accident or robbed, I would be racially targeted. I feel like that if I were robbed, onlookers would be likely to murder me because I am white sooner than they would help me. Mind you, I have lived here for many, many years. I'm not some blue-collar suburbanite. I have good neighbors but the vast majority of the city is not East English Village or Rosedale Park or Midtown. It is an unchanging hell.

It is somewhat terrifying to live in a city full of people who behave so violently and in such an uncivilized manner. I have said it before, ad nauseum, I am moving to the east coast next year and things like this reinforce my decision to do so.

Remember Malice Green!!! I know most Black Detroiters would.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug Island Community Garden View Post
    I live in Boston, which is widely regarded as a segregated, racist city, but it's like Mr. Rogers's neighborhood here compared to Detroit. Why any white person in their right mind would visit or live in your city is beyond me.
    Well one reason is the city's size. It's huge.

It's often quoted that you can fit Boston, Manhattan, and San Francisco into the geographic boundaries of the City of Detroit.

So for better [[on one hand, I would never want to live in a city where I was encountering animals like this ever...not even periodically) or for worse [[some people say that people in my neighborhood are somehow separated from the rest of the city and don't understand the problems there)... I never encounter the kind of garbage that we're talking about in this incident.

I really mean that. I moved back to Detroit almost 5 years ago, and have never been anywhere near where this incident took place. From my neighborhood to that gas station is a 15 minute drive on the highway and about an hour away by bike. I'm literally never anywhere near there.

In fact, some of the nicest suburbs in SE Michigan are within a 2-mile radius of where that took place.

So I know I'll take heat from a lot of Detroiters for this, but I don't want to live around that nonsense either. But there are plenty of places in a city so large for which this kind of thing is a totally foreign experience.

I think it's interesting that we all manufacture arbitrary ways of making sure that our self-identity excludes that kind of behavior. Whether you're living across an arbitrary municipal boundary that's 1/2 a mile away, or you're living 20 miles west but still in the same city, I'd say that most everyone is trying to distance themselves from the perpetrators. I'm guilty of it too...but there's truth in it, as well.

Whether you're living Grosse Pointe Shores, one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the state, 2-miles away from that gas station, or you're living in Detroit, MI 48226, which is one of the Top 25 zip codes in the state by annual income, the reality is that Balfour and Morang is the farthest place from anything we'll ever encounter in our day-to-day lives.

For better or for worse...but mostly for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Remember Malice Green!!! I know most Black Detroiters would.
    What in the hell has the Malice Green felony arrest to do with the unfortunate and malicious attack that the upstanding contributing working stiff Mr Utash endured at the fists of soul-less subhuman ghetto non-contributing predatory street scum! Shame on you...

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    What in the hell has the Malice Green felony arrest to do with the unfortunate and malicious attack that the upstanding contributing working stiff Mr Utash endured at the fists of soul-less subhuman ghetto non-contributing predatory street scum! Shame on you...

Simple answer race, I'm sick and tired of talking about it rather than take community action to resolve it.When people from all over the world think of Detroit instead of the word 'Motor City'. It is Birmingham, Alabama. So I say 'Bombingham!' Poor Black miserable Detroiters can't their way so they get tick-off and blame everybody. Rich white suburbs, they living large in their nice solid gold ticky tacky little boxes. Proud that they have security and don't have to across 8 Mile Rd, Five Points, and Ford Rd to get what they need in Detroit. In Fact one of former bowlers that I have used to coached years ago quoted, "I never been across south of 8 Mile Rd in 10 years. So we all acting like Malice Green trying to get our way or the highway. The beating of Steve Utash is almost equal to the Crown Heights, or Howard Beach, NYC. problem, but without the riots. You want to put shame in my comments. I don't put shame in your comments, so knock it off. Last time I heard we have freedom of speech.
    Last edited by Danny; April-23-14 at 02:25 PM.

Let's not blame all Detroiters for a few knuckleheads actions. The focus and anger should be aimed in these bozos direction

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Let's not blame all Detroiters for a few knuckleheads actions. The focus and anger should be aimed in these bozos direction
    I think what you'll find as a growing concept here stasu1213 is that people feel the culture is slipping away, and acts like this incident are only on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I think what you'll find as a growing concept here stasu1213 is that people feel the culture is slipping away, and acts like this incident are only on the rise.
    I'm not sure what chilled me the most, the original beating story, or the follow-up story about the court hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The Free Press is essentially the Pravda of Detroit. Rochelle Riley and Mitch Albom and crew are in charge of maintaining the bright, sunny notion that Detroit is banding together over adversity, no matter what the facts may be. Accurate reporting is not relevant.

They've been falling over themselves to spin this as the community coming together and making this better, or some warmed-over shmaltzy nonsense. Well, that doesn't really help Mr. Utash, and eventually the truth comes to light that a certain segment of people are quite delighted that he was beaten within inches of his life and recovery seems distant, if not impossible.

I'm going to be honest: I really don't trust the vast majority of my fellow Detroiters. I believe that if I were involved in an accident or robbed, I would be racially targeted. I feel like that if I were robbed, onlookers would be likely to murder me because I am white sooner than they would help me. Mind you, I have lived here for many, many years. I'm not some blue-collar suburbanite. I have good neighbors but the vast majority of the city is not East English Village or Rosedale Park or Midtown. It is an unchanging hell.

It is somewhat terrifying to live in a city full of people who behave so violently and in such an uncivilized manner. I have said it before, ad nauseum, I am moving to the east coast next year and things like this reinforce my decision to do so.

A significant number of people were feeling that way even 35-40 years ago, especially those that lived in "regular" neighborhoods that were changing. One of the dirty little secrets of this town is what happened to long-time residents that were among the last on the block, and the situations that occurred when the new arrivals in the neighborhood were heavily involved in the drug culture. I'm not going to get into all details about what happened to my family, but their were thousands of people that experienced this situation particularly if still living in the city into the late 1970's onward.

In all honestly, I felt what is called East English Village was slipping away in the 1980's, but compared to the way the rest of the east side was deteriorating it was still okay. Just too many things like cars being stolen and later muggings started happening up closer to Harper. In the 1990's the situation became worse.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-24-14 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    A significant number of people were feeling that way even 35-40 years ago, especially those that lived in "regular" neighborhoods that were changing. One of the dirty little secrets of this town is what happened to long-time residents that were among the last on the block, and the situations that occurred when the new arrivals in the neighborhood were heavily involved in the drug culture. I'm not going to get into all details about what happened to my family, but their were thousands of people that experienced this situation particularly if still living in the city into the late 1970's onward.

In all honestly, I felt what is called East English Village was slipping away in the 1980's, but compared to the way the rest of the east side was deteriorating it was still okay. Just too many things like cars being stolen and later muggings started happening up closer to Harper. In the 1990's the situation became worse.
    Exactly Irish, that's what I experienced and I'm telling folks who don't want to hear it this whole scenario is coming your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm not sure what chilled me the most, the original beating story, or the follow-up story about the court hearing.
    HT, spot on comment...to me its the continued revealing of the ugly truth!

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I think it has a lot in common in people's thoughts about our fine city.

I've heard many people on this forum say we need a 'dialog' on race. Even Her Honor Sotomayor said we need to have 'open discussion' on race in her dissent on Michigan's ban on discrimination on the basis of race.

When whites want to have their feelings on race considered -- when a while gets beaten -- they're told that its not racial. It was just an incident. And whites also feel that race gets brought into all kinds of cases where the connection is weak.

If we want a dialog, it can't be with black and liberal minds closed. We solve our problems by real dialog. Not preaching or opinion.

In this case, we need to respect the feelings of whites. They're people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think it has a lot in common in people's thoughts about our fine city.

I've heard many people on this forum say we need a 'dialog' on race. Even Her Honor Sotomayor said we need to have 'open discussion' on race in her dissent on Michigan's ban on discrimination on the basis of race.

When whites want to have their feelings on race considered -- when a while gets beaten -- they're told that its not racial. It was just an incident. And whites also feel that race gets brought into all kinds of cases where the connection is weak.

If we want a dialog, it can't be with black and liberal minds closed. We solve our problems by real dialog. Not preaching or opinion.

In this case, we need to respect the feelings of whites. They're people too.
    Today black folks get ticked-on everything that throws in their face. Plain and simple, give them respect and they will leave you alone. Express their anger towards them, they will cuss before they fight or kill you!

If a Black person got beat up a White, Hispanic, Asian ect... They will called it threat and action will be taken before justice. It happens a lot not just in America, but all over the world. If any person leave the race out of the pop culture then peace can settle in and we can leave as brothers and sisters without looking their color of the skin.

As for right now the Civil Rights Era is over. The Rev. Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Malik Shabazz, John Conyers, Spike Lee himself knows about the Steve Utash problem but they are not coming to Detroit and lead a post Ghandi/Martin Luther King Peace March through Morang St. Leave to local churches to resolve this race issue.

African Americans are people, too. Give them time to let go of their slave mentality. Give them an education. Show them how to earn things in life. Teach them how to raise a family the right way. Give them jobs and they will live happy productive lives.
    Last edited by Danny; April-25-14 at 06:57 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast