Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I grew up very close to the crime scene, it was a pretty nice area up to the mid 90s. I remember when that store next to the gas staton was a 7-11.

Of course the behavior of the mob doesn't represent the whole populace of the area, but the number of thugs living around there has increased dramatically.

Blown out of proportion? I don't know but I'm sure this story will help anyone thinking of moving into this neighborhood to make up thier mind.
    Last edited by Dave70; April-06-14 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    I grew up very close to the crime scene, it was a pretty nice area up to the mid 90s. I remember when that store next to the gas staton was a 7-11. Of course the behavior of the mob doesn't represent the whole populace of the area, but the number of thugs living around there has increased dramatically.
    My grandparents lived down the street from where that happened, closer to Moross. Used to go to eat at Kavans down the street all the time. I still have an old receiver with the Almas service tag from across the street there, as well. It was a great neighborhood. They hadn't had a single robbery, or major crime to speak of, up until around 1992. Then, within two years, there were a dozen break-ins, one of their neighbors was assaulted, and, IIRC, one of their friends had their car stolen out of their own driveway. This was a neighborhood where you wouldn't necessarily think of locking your door if you were only stepping out for a few minutes. It deteriorated rapidly. They moved out two years later. I drove my grandma to visit friends who still lived a block away in 1998. They were planning on living out their lives in that home, until a kid on a bicycle held them up in their own driveway at knifepoint. Their children flew in the next week to help them move into a retirement home.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    My grandparents lived down the street from where that happened, closer to Moross. Used to go to eat at Kavans down the street all the time. I still have an old receiver with the Almas service tag from across the street there, as well. It was a great neighborhood. They hadn't had a single robbery, or major crime to speak of, up until around 1992. Then, within two years, there were a dozen break-ins, one of their neighbors was assaulted, and, IIRC, one of their friends had their car stolen out of their own driveway. This was a neighborhood where you wouldn't necessarily think of locking your door if you were only stepping out for a few minutes. It deteriorated rapidly. They moved out two years later. I drove my grandma to visit friends who still lived a block away in 1998. They were planning on living out their lives in that home, until a kid on a bicycle held them up in their own driveway at knifepoint. Their children flew in the next week to help them move into a retirement home.
    That area was still sort of half way decent until the mortgage crash of 2008. After that there was a drastic change.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That area was still sort of half way decent until the mortgage crash of 2008. After that there was a drastic change.
    Sort of half-way decent, same as half-way bad imo, which isn't good. My poor sister lived around there and said it was really bad before 2008. But I'm sure it got even worse,