Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    God loves all people, but hates Sin
    and needs money!

One suspect is charged with a hate crime. According to news reports, he was described as "incorrigible" several times, first when he was 11 years old. Questions: Where was his mother? Where was his father? And where are Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Mr. Jackson, who never met a camera they didn't like?
    Last edited by Bobl; April-11-14 at 12:32 AM.

Rev. Sharpton is busy mingling, mangling and hob-knobbing in DC with his friends there......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    One suspect is charged with a hate crime. According to news reports, he was described as "incorrigible" several times, first when he was 11 years old. Questions: Where was his mother? Where was his father? And where are Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Mr. Jackson, who never met a camera they didn't like?
    His father is MIA and granddad is doing life. As for Mom???

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post

I get your comment about Jackson & Sharpton. To be fair, though, I'm going to post this link here. It's a write-up about last night's Prayer Vigil, "hundreds" of people, all races, creeds, & colors, showed up in solidarity. The photos say it all. I think Detroit stepped up to the plate nicely.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...gil_unifi.html

So cool..
    "Sitting between Utash's daughters, Felecia Utash and Mandi Emerick, and son, Joe Utash, was Deborah Hughes, the retired nurse who stepped in to stop the beating on April 2."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    You mean like the guy who blew away the unarmed teenage girl on his porch?

Oh wait, that's different. No bystanding heroic nurse stepped in and saved her life before she died.
    So the fuck what? Two wrongs make a right?

Why can't you just stick to the facts of this case? Do you think this was a hate crime or not? Are you even capable of admitting that racism exists in the black community, or that white people can be targeted for violence based on their skin color? Or would that violate your narrow, preconceived, preferred narrative of racism in America?

Anybody who wants to make a case of equivalency is really pushing it here.

Default 48205

Someone in the thread about the man beaten on Morang said that 48205 was the most dangerous zip in the city. I lived there on Eastburn St. from 1948 to 1992, and when I moved [[for work reasons) it didn't seem to be the worst. Granted things seemed to be moving downhill, but not that bad!
    What a shame. I remember in my childhood no one even locked a door until I was fifteen or sixteen years old.

Quote Originally Posted by eastburntoo View Post
    Someone in the thread about the man beaten on Morang said that 48205 was the most dangerous zip in the city. I lived there on Eastburn St. from 1948 to 1992, and when I moved [[for work reasons) it didn't seem to be the worst. Granted things seemed to be moving downhill, but not that bad!
    What a shame. I remember in my childhood no one even locked a door until I was fifteen or sixteen years old.
    I live in 48205 and I can attest that what you say si true.

The lifting of the residency requirement for city workers in 1998 [[48205 is where a lot of the city's police and firefighters lived) and the subsequent Real Estate bubble [[that allowed the middle/working class black families in 48205 to move to suburbs such as Eastpointe, Harper Woods, Warren, etc.) is what killed off this area.

As another poster said, the undesirable element that was previously contained in inner city Detroit [[I.E. Cass Corridor) was then allowed to migrate into these one healthy outer ring neighborhoods like 48205.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-11-14 at 12:25 PM.

Driver awakes and is remorseful.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-die-m-sorry-

You think the beaters are?

I heard some stories about the ambulance crews in that neighborhood getting the most calls per year. If I remember correctly, most of them were for trauma, which means a wound. I think the guys said it was the busiest ambulance number in the country at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by eastburntoo View Post
    Why? What did you start doing @ 15 years old?

I believe it was mostly because some of the original owners in the neighborhood began selling their homes, and some of the trust slipped. I know it's not right, but it happened.

It was such a nice place to grow up. Tracey McGregor grade school. I was in the first first grade class to start at that school. Our kindergarten was in a building by the northwest corner of the open space by the school.

I grew up at Saratoga between Morang and Kelly. Went to St. Jude for church. Moved to East English Village when I was 7, in 1985. By the time we moved there in the early 80s, racial animosity must have been pretty rough, because we had neighbors calling us the n- word. How ignorant were they, though, not only for using that word...but because we're Asian. Srsly wtf.

It was a nice enough neighborhood with lots of kids. Had a police officer living next to us on one side and a retired auto worker on the other. But by the mid-80s, gangs were starting to make there presence known. Within 1 year, 4 of my neighbors had moved, and weren't far behind.

We rented out the house and held on to it for awhile, with decent-enough tenants. But by mid-90s, things got so bad that we sold it.

Keeping in mind that 48205 includes neighborhoods along Gratiot almost down to Conner. Actually, I think Flanders was the last street of 48205 heading south along Gratiot. Those neighborhoods were changing for the worst beginning in the mid to late 1970's. Can't base 48205 simply from where many city employees lived [[North of 7 Mile), especially in higher concentrations from the late 1960's through the late 1990's.

I lived on Sanford between Conner and Gunston, down the street from City Airport 1976-82. The seeds of the area's decline can be found in the pages of the book about the Chambers family and their expansion of the crack cocaine trade in the late 70s-80s, Land Of Opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Keeping in mind that 48205 includes neighborhoods along Gratiot almost down to Conner. Actually, I think Flanders was the last street of 48205 heading south along Gratiot. Those neighborhoods were changing for the worst beginning in the mid to late 1970's. Can't base 48205 simply from where many city employees lived [[North of 7 Mile), especially in higher concentrations from the late 1960's through the late 1990's.
    Well DeLaSalle High School hung in there [[I believe off Conner between Flanders and Glenfield?) through 1982 before leaving. They actually had no intentions of leaving, but Coleman Young blocked an expansion they wanted to make.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I lived on Sanford between Conner and Gunston, down the street from City Airport 1976-82. The seeds of the area's decline can be found in the pages of the book about the Chambers family and their expansion of the crack cocaine trade in the late 70s-80s, Land Of Opportunity.
    Whithorn the next block after Sanford was having a serious problem with break-ins and in some instances worse by the early 1980's. I looked at the amount of residents on Whithorn between Gunston & Elmo that sold between 1976-1983 and it was quite telling. The Wayne County Land Records website previously allowed people to view transactions since 1960 on their website. The biggest reason De La Salle left in 1982 was because of neighborhood issues.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-11-14 at 01:45 PM.

My husband lived there in the 80s & early 90s. He lived on Joann near St. Raymond's in the area near 8 Mile & Schoenerr. From what he described, it was a gradual decline in his neighborhood to where it was never going get any better. Gang activity was starting. He had his car broken into for the radio & wheels on different occasions. His car was finally stolen. He was mugged. Several of the neighbors were robbed. One elderly couple was robbed, bound, & gagged in their house and not found for over a day. This all happened over a period of a couple of years before he finally moved out to Lincoln Park in 1993. We got married later in the 90s. I moved in with him there. We moved out from there in 2002 when he noted he was seeing the same decline in that neighborhood that he had seen in Detroit. Of course, the dead body found in Council Point Park about 3 blocks from our house was the final incident.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well DeLaSalle High School hung in there [[I believe off Conner between Flanders and Glenfield?) through 1982 before leaving. They actually had no intentions of leaving, but Coleman Young blocked an expansion they wanted to make.
    Yes, the school was located at Conner & Glenfield. The football field was behind the school going towards Flanders. Wilfred doesn't go through to Conner because of the school property. They had been trying to expand vertically at least since the 1960's. However, by the early 1980's some of the Christian Brothers were growing concerned about the neighborhood and student safety as well. I don't know if that was ever publicly revealed, but it was most definitely privately revealed.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; April-11-14 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

That's because Coleman Young wants to attend the old De La Salle School there in the 1940s. After he was turned down, he will remember that incident. When Coleman Young became Detroit's black mayor, He said 'hell no' to De La Salle's school expansion project. So De La Salle left and move to Warren.
    Last edited by Danny; April-11-14 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    My husband lived there in the 80s & early 90s. He lived on Joann near St. Raymond's in the area near 8 Mile & Schoenerr. From what he described, it was a gradual decline in his neighborhood to where it was never going get any better. Gang activity was starting. He had his car broken into for the radio & wheels on different occasions. His car was finally stolen. He was mugged. Several of the neighbors were robbed. One elderly couple was robbed, bound, & gagged in their house and not found for over a day. This all happened over a period of a couple of years before he finally moved out to Lincoln Park in 1993. We got married later in the 90s. I moved in with him there. We moved out from there in 2002 when he noted he was seeing the same decline in that neighborhood that he had seen in Detroit. Of course, the dead body found in Council Point Park about 3 blocks from our house was the final incident.
    Crime happens everywhere even when you live in Detroit or suburbs. You can move to a farmland and still your house gets robbed. Reason you and your husband move because you too don't want to get into fear with robberies and security is your concern before freedom.

So, they're saying that the 16 year old is Thug One and the others including the adults followed his lead?

For those calling for Sharpton-he doesn't get involved unles justice is not being served and or the community doesn't care. There is swift justice here and with most cases where whites are the victims. Hey eventually even O.J got his. Whites give money to the defense funds of fascist criminals a la zimmerman-when the situation is reversed- blacks know justice will always be served to the fullest when the victim is white. Its just the way it is....

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast