Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
And it's easy to think that the city is at a disadvantage etc... but why would a promoter want to bring his arena/stadium downtown if the conditions werent about right for business? I sympathize with ghettopalmetto and the folks who are opposed to the racket of pro sports arenas not the due process that should occur for it to be a win-win. It rarely ever is in any city, but if the rules are tightend before the thing is built, it may have an effect on other developments.
This isn't some guy opening up a Middle-Eastern restaurant, and hoping for the best. Ilitch could play the Wings in the middle of a swamp and fans would wade in to see them. Why is he having his erection in Mid-Town? Well, let's see, $350 mil "donated" towards the stadium, another $60 mil "bonus" if the area "develops", another $6 mil in State money to tear down the now useless Joe Louis Arena. On top of that, a partially tax payer funded Blight Rail to transport fans in and out of the area, DPD crossing guards, and don't forget the afterglow cleanup. One heck of a deal. Who could say no? I wonder if L Brooks would let Ilitch wipe out part of Oakland County, and give him the fundage? But I know, the stadium will create thousands of jobs and the taxpayers will get every dime back through the tax monies it'll generate.