Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

did the state put in any porta-potties in belle isle? no?
    then you're going to get more public urination.

its a fact. nothing to do with 'culture'.
    joggers gotta pee too. even state troopers.
    where are your kids going to pee?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post

The river of course!!

I have, many a time.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-06-14 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I really think not allowing open alcohol containers...or any alcohol...is a huge mistake, and the breaking point for this whole deal.

I'd like to study how many State Parks were created out of wilderness, or unused property...and how many were take-overs like this? Surely this is virginal ground for the DNR...
    There has technically been a no-alchohol policy on Belle Isle for a long time. I have a few friends who got open container tickets from the DPD in the summer of 2012. The DPD has been practicing selective enforcement on Belle Isle for decades...

As far as state park "take overs" go, the state took over St. Aubin Park and Marina to create Milliken State Park in 2004. It was the first urban state park in Michigan, and by all accounts, it has been a great benefit for the city. I don't recall any uproar over that state park takeover, nor have I heard anything about, or experienced, negative consequences from it.

Until I see some evidence that the state DNR is engaging in some kind of nefarious plot to fuck over Detroiters, which there has been no evidence of in the decade since the first state park opened in the city, I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory. The state of Michigan is not some kind of foreign government invading the city. Every Detroiter is also a Michigan resident, and has representation in state government.

My address says Detroit, but it also says Michigan. I certainly think that the state doesn't run certain things well, but I feel the same way about my city, county, and federal government as well. In reality, the Michigan DNR is one of the very few things that our state government actually does well.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    The best one by far:

On a Belle Isle patrol after the recent snow storm, COs Ken Kovach and Bob Hobkirk spent most of the shift assisting disabled motorists. One subject who kept getting stuck after the pair would push him out finally was able to get off the island. The following day, he left a fruit basket on the island to show his appreciation for the officers’ hard work.
    Agreed. Seriousness aside there is some entertaining reading in those snippets. What is difficult to comprehend is the stupidity of so many who were driving with suspended licenses or had outstanding warrants, some for felonies, yet driving around with open alcohol, clouds of dube coming out the windows, etc.

While on a midnight patrol on Belle Isle, COs Todd Szyska and Al Schwiderson came upon a vehicle parked on Sunset after the park closure. The emergency lights of the patrol unit were activated as well as the spotlights, at which point the suspect vehicle took off. The vehicle continued onto the Strand where it pulled over to the shoulder. While the COs attempted to contact the occupants, the vehicle again took off. Finally the vehicle was stopped further down on the Strand. The driver stated she did not stop due to the fact that Detroit Police Officers in the past used their emergency lights to let park goers know it was time to go. She said she was not used to having to stop for the police. Her driver’s record was clear; however, her male passenger had a warrant out of Allen Park for traffic and a bottle of open intoxicants in the vehicle. Enforcement action was taken.
    ^Reminds me a bit of the 'lights out' gang mythology that held that if you got flashed you were going to get shot by them...

While working Belle Isle, COs Todd Thorn and Jeremy Payne were scanning a Detroit Police frequency and heard a complaint where a fast food restaurant was about to be robbed. The complaint indicated there were three people located in the parking lot with face masks on. The COs immediately responded to the area and witnessed the subjects walking across the road. The COs contacted the subjects, one who is a Detroit area rapper, who explained to the COs that they were filming a video and how the video footage would contain a scene where he is arrested by the police. A special emphasis would be placed on the handcuffing scene while being arrested. CO Payne ran a file on all three individuals and found the rapper had a warrant for his arrest. Enforcement action was taken.

As was stated in post #49, "pull over to the shoulder and walk behind a tree". Not on the shoulder of the road, or in full view of others. I've heard that "public urination" tickets automatically put you on the sex offender registry... I'd rather walk 50 feet further over to some bushes than risk that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    As was stated in post #49, "pull over to the shoulder and walk behind a tree". Not on the shoulder of the road, or in full view of others. I've heard that "public urination" tickets automatically put you on the sex offender registry... I'd rather walk 50 feet further over to some bushes than risk that.
    I agree with you. To be fair, it isn't just Belle Isle. Some concert was going on @ The Palace. [[it was Summertime) I too had to get off @ that exit. As I turned the corner on the exit ramp, men and women were up on the embankment doing their thing, in plain view of everyone. Must be the beer.

I assume that this is just for men. Women squatting all around - what do you think of that?

you seem obsessed with this pee thing. women can do it standing up if they buy some device like this.

oh lawdy, women peeing standing up, whats next? gay marriage??

There have been porta-potties on the island since well before the state invasion.

Once again, something the city was able to do without this ugly take-over.

Yes, the plumbing should've been fixed in the buildings, but for at least one administration the copper disappeared from the island. I suspect that Bobby Ferguson had an addiction to it. He was part of the gang that took it over after dark...

I am quite sure the Duggan administration would've taken care of it properly...again, without all this divisive and disruptive white-faced authoritarian bullshit.

Once again, has anyone seen any officer on the island with interesting pigmentation? I have not...although it sounded like the main guy interviewed on Craig Fahle's show was black. I have not yet seen him, so I am only guessing.

EricD...I want to reply, but don't have the energy or time to address your points just yet.

Sincerely,
    John

Once again, has anyone seen any officer on the island with interesting pigmentation? I have not...although it sounded like the main guy interviewed on Craig Fahle's show was black. I have not yet seen him, so I am only guessing.
    Not sure what you're meaning by "interesting"...I do have a friend/client who is a Michigan State Police officer assigned to Belle Isle who is black. I'm not sure the demographic breakdown of the rest of the law enforcement officers.

Also, Ron Olson, who is the Parks & Recreation Chief for the DNR, is black. Bathroom renovation and service is supposed to be done this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Not sure what you're meaning by "interesting"...I do have a friend/client who is a Michigan State Police officer assigned to Belle Isle who is black. I'm not sure the demographic breakdown of the rest of the law enforcement officers.
    Thank you. I haven't yet seen him, but am happy to learn this.

I speak specifically this language in order to confound those who wander around in white skin, largely not knowing how those who are different are treated, to think about pigmentation. Anything different than mine is wonderfully curious, thus "interesting"...this is how I've always been.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Also, Ron Olson, who is the Parks & Recreation Chief for the DNR, is black. Bathroom renovation and service is supposed to be done this summer.
    Yeah, that must be the fellow with that great voice who was on the Fahle show.

Thanks again.

Only in the "D".....

While working Belle Isle, COs Todd Thorn and Jeremy Payne were scanning a Detroit Police frequency and heard a complaint where a fast food restaurant was about to be robbed. The complaint indicated there were three people located in the parking lot with face masks on. The COs immediately responded to the area and witnessed the subjects walking across the road. The COs contacted the subjects, one who is a Detroit area rapper, who explained to the COs that they were filming a video and how the video footage would contain a scene where he is arrested by the police. A special emphasis would be placed on the handcuffing scene while being arrested. CO Payne ran a file on all three individuals and found the rapper had a warrant for his arrest. Enforcement action was taken.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3