Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Indeed, to a league, any league, having say 26, 28, 30 or 32 teams [[or whatever) and NOT have Detroit seems absurd.

When I think of MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, etc. I think Detroit. Detroit was a pioneer in each league, esp. NHL.

To me Sacramento, San Antonio, etc. are 2nd priority to the larger metropolitan areas like Detroit.

I guess that having no ideal site for a stadium could be a problem.

I still maintain the best hope is somewhere in Midtown, perhaps west of Cass Tech where the Iitches own property and could sell their excess land there for a purpose they approve [[i.e., soccer stadium).

I think site assembly would work better there then a lot of other desirable locations, e.g., river front.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I still maintain the best hope is somewhere in Midtown, perhaps west of Cass Tech where the Iitches own property and could sell their excess land there for a purpose they approve [[i.e., soccer stadium).
    This is one reason I think the Ilitches could be a potential owner. They could use quite a bit of land they already own. Additionally, if they want to have a stand-alone sports division [[perhaps spun off into its own company) adding a third team could be a good idea. However, with the quickly escalating prices of property anywhere near downtown/midtown, a potential owner really needs to be working now to assemble the full amount of land that they need. It would be cost prohibitive a few years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    This is one reason I think the Ilitches could be a potential owner. They could use quite a bit of land they already own. Additionally, if they want to have a stand-alone sports division [[perhaps spun off into its own company) adding a third team could be a good idea. However, with the quickly escalating prices of property anywhere near downtown/midtown, a potential owner really needs to be working now to assemble the full amount of land that they need. It would be cost prohibitive a few years down the road.
    I agree with your thoughts.

As far as land is concerned:

In some cities land is at a real premium. Think Manhattan. There is gold in that land.

In some cities, in some locations, building on unused land is good simply to utilize underutilized land [[w/out the new arena, could one imagine that area being virtually nothing more than a very large parking area for possibly decade a decade or two).

As far as the area say around 3rd/Temple/Ledyard and going to Grand River, I don't see a big land rush to develop it for say 10 - 20 years.

A new soccer stadium there would 'revitalize' immediately an area which would take forever to revitalize.

Is there a need for hundreds of housing units there if hundreds and hundred of housing units will be built in Brush Park?

Wouldn't Brush Park be the primary area for new housing in southern Midtown? Wouldn't "West of Cass" be a secondary area [[for new housing)?

Really, do we want to wait 10 - 20 years for development to hit that 3rd/Temple area [[where the Viking Motel, etc. is)??

Let's 'fast forward' to 2019: The arena is up. DG has a MLS franchise in his back pocket for the asking. Work begins on a soccer stadium by 3rd/Temple/Ledyard.

Someone [[Ilitches) have control of a lot of land on Cass [[west side) between Temple and Ledyard [[I think). Something happens there.

Ilitches are responsible for cleaning up Cass Park.

All of a sudden a lot of energy is shifting to the area bounded by Cass/Temple/Ledyard/Grand River, etc.

Woodward to Cass [[the arena area) is Phase I.

West of Cass becomes Phase II.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-25-16 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I agree with your thoughts.

As far as the area say around 3rd/Temple/Ledyard and going to Grand River, I don't see a big land rush to develop it for say 10 - 20 years.

A new soccer stadium there would 'revitalize' immediately an area which would take forever to revitalize.

Wait 10 - 20 years for development to hit that 3rd/Temple area [[where the Viking Motel, etc. is)??

Let's 'fast forward' to 2019: The arena is up. DG has a MLS franchise in his back pocket for the asking. Work begins on a soccer stadium by 3rd/Temple/Ledyard.

You think property that is only a couple of blocks away from the new arena and has some of highest potential for mixed-used development in the city, that we should put a stadium there? The idea that there won't be development interest on property that is only a couple of blocks away, not miles, for a decade or more is silly.

First, before we get giddy about this we need to acknowledge just plopping a stadium down won't revitalize a thing. There will need to some mixed used elements to make this truly work. Secondly, putting the stadium downtown or midtown is bad idea theses two neighborhood are well on their way back this should used as chance be build up nearby areas. The areas around Eastern Market or Woodbridge come to mind. You have more fair amount of vacant land nearby, but some very strong elements to build off of. Think about what a smaller scale version of the district around Grand River/MLK or really anywhere between the Lodge and Forest would do for the area.
    Last edited by MSUguy; April-26-16 at 02:43 PM.