Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I recommend Red Hots in Highland Park also! Almost every Coney joint in Metro Detroit uses frozen National chili now. In fact, I believe that Lafayette, Duly's, and [[maybe) American all use National. Oh sure, they'll all tell you they add their own proprietary blend of spices to make it special, but if you're gonna sit here and tell me that a tablespoon or two of this or that makes a huge difference, I have a Matty Moroun bridge to sell ya! It's all in your head!

Only Red Hots still makes its own chili from scratch using an original recipe. If you eat there, you're eating the same coney the men that made all those Model T's ate.

EDIT: OK, American uses Detroit Chili Company chili.
    Last edited by nain rouge; April-03-14 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I recommend Red Hots in Highland Park also! Almost every Coney joint in Metro Detroit uses frozen National chili now. In fact, I know that American, Lafayette, and Duly's all use National. Oh sure, they'll all tell you they add their own proprietary blend of spices to make it special, but if you're gonna sit here and tell me that a tablespoon or two of this or that makes a huge difference, I have a Matty Moroun bridge to sell ya! It's all in your head!

Only Red Hots still makes its own chili from scratch using an original recipe. If you eat there, you're eating the same coney the men that made all those Model T's ate.
    Are you talking about the one in Highland Park or Madison Heigths?

Definitely Highland Park. That place is about the same age of Duly's, and if I'm remembering correctly, it's stayed in the same family ever since it opened. It's a real, unappreciated slice of Detroit history, right across from the old Ford plant.

I recommend Red Hots in Highland Park also! Almost every Coney joint in Metro Detroit uses frozen National chili now. In fact, I know that American, Lafayette, and Duly's all use National. Oh sure, they'll all tell you they add their own proprietary blend of spices to make it special, but if you're gonna sit here and tell me that a tablespoon or two of this or that makes a huge difference, I have a Matty Moroun bridge to sell ya! It's all in your head!

Nice ad for your favorite joint, but this is total bullshit.

Definitely Highland Park. That place is about the same age of Duly's, and if I'm remembering correctly, it's stayed in the same family ever since it opened. It's a real, unappreciated slice of Detroit history, right across from the old Ford plant.
    Thanx. I plan to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Because..............?

EDIT: OK, did a little more research. A long-time worker at Duly's confirmed to me that Duly's uses National chili. According to the book Coney Dog, Lafayette also use National chili. Only American still claims to sorta make its own chili through the mysterious "Detroit Chili Company". However, it's tough to find any real info on Detroit Chili Company, and it's "headquarters" doesn't look to be much of anything.
    Last edited by nain rouge; April-03-14 at 03:28 PM.

EDIT: OK, did a little more research. A long-time worker at Duly's confirmed to me that Duly's uses National chili. According to the book Coney Dog, Lafayette also use National chili. Only American still claims to sorta make its own chili through the mysterious "Detroit Chili Company". However, it's tough to find any real info on Detroit Chili Company, and it's "headquarters" doesn't look to be much of anything.
    And you can buy the frozen National Chili at any Hollywood Mkt, Meijer and most other grocery stores and make your own coneys at home.

OK, some more research on American turned up a Metro Times article where owner Keros states that the Detroit Chili Company chili is made at a plant "by City Airport". Some Google searching reveals an address for Detroit Chili Company on Harper, indeed near the airport. But take a look at it. It sure doesn't look like much, but it could be that they really are making their original recipe there. It's all kinda weird.

OK, some more research on American turned up a Metro Times article where owner Keros states that the Detroit Chili Company chili is made at a plant "by City Airport". Some Google searching reveals an address for Detroit Chili Company on Harper, indeed near the airport. But take a look at it. It sure doesn't look like much, but it could be that they really are making their original recipe there. It's all kinda weird.
    You don't need a huge space, a pretty space to make large amounts of chili.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    You don't need a huge space, a pretty space to make large amounts of chili.
    Detroit Chili Co Inc

21400 Telegraph Road
    Southfield, MI 48033 - View Map
    Phone: [[248) 440-5933

I have had both a Detroit style coney and a Flint style coney, I like the Flint style coney better, it's all dry meat and tastes pretty good. I believe the place that I was at was in Mt. Morris, near Flint.

I wish that hot Italian beef sandwiches were popular around here. I don't know of any local places..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wish that hot Italian beef sandwiches were popular around here. I don't know of any local places..
    Very Best Chicago Italian Beef and Chicago Dogs in Trenton on West road,,,been there many times,,,a must try. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sals-...40297372841760

^^
    ^

Thanks, ALPOE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    From what I've seen and I've traveled a lot it seems to be mainly a Chicago thing. Italian Beef's are off the hook I love them, go to Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park if you're ever in the Chicago area and want a real good Italian Beef, it's about 7600ish W. North Ave, 4 blocks west of Harlem.

what is an Italian beef?

what is an Italian beef?
    It's something that is between a steak sandwich and a Philly Cheese Steak, only particular to Chicago.

thanks. looks yummy

what is an Italian beef?
    It's sort of like like a Philly Cheesesteak but the Italian Beef is thin slices of seasoned roast beef served on a long italian roll. You can get the sandwiched dipped which means they dip everything including the bread in au jus. They are extremely popular here in the Chicago area but outside of Chicago they are difficult to find. When you're ordering one and want it dipped with sport peppers you just tell them what size you want and tell them to dip it with sport peppers. There is a stance that you stand at while eating one it was shown at Al's Beef, you stand at the table keeping your feet a few feet back from the table and your feet spread apart, then you put your elbows on the table while bent into the table to eat one, that's so you'll make a mess on the floor instead of yourself.

Here's a pic of Portillo's Italian Beef.

Name:  000itbeef.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  18.8 KB

Just when youse thought we would let this thread die...

I went to have a coupla hot dogs at Paul Patates in "The Pointe" neighborhood in Montreal yesterday and found some variations on the Coney which we call Michigan Hots here in Quebec. There is a hamburger version and a hot dog version with cheese curd if you want to merge and get a poutine effect without the fries...

Also, is there such a thing as "spruce beer" in Michigan in the soft drink department?

http://foodietopography.net/paul-pat...il-of-poutine/
    Last edited by canuck; April-11-14 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Just when youse thought we would let this thread die...

I went to have a coupla hot dogs at Paul Patates in "The Pointe" neighborhood in Montreal yesterday and found some variations on the Coney which we call Michigan Hots here in Quebec. There is a hamburger version and a hot dog version with cheese curd if you want to merge and get a poutine effect without the fries...

Also, is there such a thing as "spruce beer" in Michigan in the soft drink department?

http://foodietopography.net/paul-pat...il-of-poutine/
    I have never heard of a marketed "spruce beer." What I know of it is that fur traders and early settlers would make a brew from pine needles to ward off scurvy - evidently it has a decent amount of vitamin C.

Give Sal's Chicago Classic a try in Trenton on West road,,,,they have the real deal Chicago Beef and Classic Chicago Dogs see link,,,,, http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/19/17656...lassic-Trenton

Name:  SAM_6556.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  SAM_6559.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  SAM_6560.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  40.5 KB

I have never heard of a marketed "spruce beer." What I know of it is that fur traders and early settlers would make a brew from pine needles to ward off scurvy - evidently it has a decent amount of vitamin C.

Yes, I just read this on wiki too, I kind of wondered about the origin of it and surmised the first nations had a lot to do with it. In Quebec, there are no big brands marketing spruce beer, it is made by small firms in very small batches. It is sold in bottles with ceramic plug type caps. it is pretty good and refreshing, doesnt taste too sweet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast