Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    What IS that? A six-story motel with a billboard on it?

well there goes my hope of something more substantial and appropriate for that site.

It's kinda weird now that this development almost seems smaller than the Erksine development in Midtown.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; March-25-15 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    well there goes my hope of something more substantial and appropriate for that site.
    This project would look GREAT in Midtown or Brush Park or New Center. Not downtown, and especially not around the park.

Well it's said if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

So I will keep my feedback about the latest rendering of this project to myself...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well it's said if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

So I will keep my feedback about the latest rendering of this project to myself...
    We appreciate it, but the rendering shown in the Crain's article was the exact same one shown a year ago.

What renderings did the City council see? Are they different? Are we talking the same basic height/proportions.

Anyhow, I don't necessarily think that modest height is bad, as long as the overall execution is good and the ground floor provides ample sidewalk-fronting uses.

Really weak design.
    The video board is larger in height than the building to project a larger scale project. Smoke & Mirrors.
    The Statler would have lasted another 100+ years on that site.
    What is proposed is designed to last 30 years at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What IS that? A six-story motel with a billboard on it?

Looks like that "signage" in front is mimicking Chicago's Crown Fountain. Either way, I think the design is fine, but about 7-8 stories too short for the site. As another poster comented, great height for Midtown area, but not there IMO. Guess that's what were gonna have to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Really weak design.
    The video board is larger in height than the building to project a larger scale project. Smoke & Mirrors.
    The Statler would have lasted another 100+ years on that site.
    What is proposed is designed to last 30 years at best.
    I will be happy if it only last 30 years.. So that we can get something better FINALLY.

New renderings out that look MUCH better, though I wish it were bigger, like most of us:

[[Source: http://www.villagegreen.com/developm...ion-renovation

I prefer the first rendering. I don't like mismatching two parts of the building.

I like the new design MUCH better. I think the "mismatched" appearance adds some character, and with the building being as wide as it is its nice that its not monolithic.

I seem to recall that the first version was 6 floors; this is now 7 and the park side is 8 including the structure on the top.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-12-16 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I prefer the first rendering. I don't like mismatching two parts of the building.
    I disagree, as reasonable minds can. I was in Portland for business a couple of months ago and happened across this building: https://goo.gl/maps/UHhc2QkfTf52

I think that Portland building, and something like the latest Statler rendering, is perfect for infill on large blocks. For some reason, our planning people have a thing for mega-blocks, so we have huge developments. Architecture like this makes the block feel more split up an diverse with different buildings [[think Woodward between Compuware and Broderick/Whitney) as opposed to a monolithic building [[Compuware) or parking garage [[innumerable)

Much better but they could/should go a little higher on the GCP side. It doesn't have to be huge, but a 15 story tower on the park would help make the building seem less stout. I am happy to see that they are breaking up the facade and got rid of that god awful signage. Fingers crossed they continue to tinker with the building and investment considering everything else that has been announced since they first proposed this.

Well I'd say that this is an improvement, but just about anything was over what was initially proposed. I was really hoping to get to that 10 story marker on the GCP side. I guess an additional floor is good.

I definitely think more height is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I disagree, as reasonable minds can. I was in Portland for business a couple of months ago and happened across this building: https://goo.gl/maps/UHhc2QkfTf52

I think that Portland building, and something like the latest Statler rendering, is perfect for infill on large blocks. For some reason, our planning people have a thing for mega-blocks, so we have huge developments. Architecture like this makes the block feel more split up an diverse with different buildings [[think Woodward between Compuware and Broderick/Whitney) as opposed to a monolithic building [[Compuware) or parking garage [[innumerable)
    Agreed, EBW. I'm not a mega fan of mega.

I would have liked something a little bigger for this location. It does look more like a typical modern city building outside of the central core.

What surprises me is that the developers must not want to go bigger. Why is that? The market seems strong. Why are they not maximizing. There's a story behind this. Wonder what it is?

What surprises me is that the developers must not want to go bigger. Why is that? The market seems strong. Why are they not maximizing. There's a story behind this. Wonder what it is?
    I'm guessing that they're maxing out the height to which you can build with cheap wood construction [[think DuCharme, the Scott, etc.)

So what would the rent rates be to start off with, once construction is complete?

Yes.... remember, this is "stick-built" construction.... so they are at their limit, unless they decide to use masonry/concrete or metal.

Why even show the green dangling things from every balcony? This isn't Singapore. The only thing on those balconies will be half empty wine bottles, broken camp chairs, and ash trays from the 20-something quicken frat crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Why even show the green dangling things from every balcony? This isn't Singapore. The only thing on those balconies will be half empty wine bottles, broken camp chairs, and ash trays from the 20-something quicken frat crowd.
    Bitter, party of one, your table is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Ah yes, the only people living downtown are Quicken employees. I know quite a few people who live downtown/midtown and zero of them work for Quicken.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast