Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    While I would build taller with a lot more units, were I the developer, what is proposed for the Statler site building I still think will be nice, look good, and bring a whole lot more people than the nothing the empty lot and empty hotel before that brought downtown.
    A single family house would also bring in more people than the empty lot and empty hotel, but I'm not sure that is a good argument for building a house there. It does seem a bit of a waste of that location.

Maybe we can finally get Donald Trump to build a Trump Tower there. After all, he did once scout sites in the D for a tower.....

Working Project is called City Club Apartments.
    Not sure if this is the final name.
    6 floors with 291 apartments.

"With a planned 284 units and about 12,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space, it would be the first new ground-up apartment building construction in the central business district in recent memory.
    Holtzman said the project, site plan approval for which the Detroit City Council gave in March last year, is "moving full speed ahead."
    ?? I thought Gilbert's apartment building across from D'Mongos would have this moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    "With a planned 284 units and about 12,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space, it would be the first new ground-up apartment building construction in the central business district in recent memory.
    Holtzman said the project, site plan approval for which the Detroit City Council gave in March last year, is "moving full speed ahead."
    ?? I thought Gilbert's apartment building across from D'Mongos would have this moniker.

what do you mean? that one is full speed ahead. construction is well underway. foundation is in and steel is going up

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    A single family house would also bring in more people than the empty lot and empty hotel, but I'm not sure that is a good argument for building a house there. It does seem a bit of a waste of that location.
    Well, no one is building a single family house there. "Waste" is, in this instance, completely subjective. When someone puts together the plan & the money, their opinion carries the day. Speaking of subjective thoughts: I think this project will look good, fit in with the neighborhood, and be appreciated once open.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Maybe we can finally get Donald Trump to build a Trump Tower there. After all, he did once scout sites in the D for a tower.....
    No faster way to get me to pick up and leave Detroit! And never return! I despise that man as I do few others.

Well, no one is building a single family house there. "Waste" is, in this instance, completely subjective. When someone puts together the plan & the money, their opinion carries the day. Speaking of subjective thoughts: I think this project will look good, fit in with the neighborhood, and be appreciated once open.
    While I am anxious to see that site occupied, a building of only 6 floors is going to look ridiculous. This is smaller than many if not most of the other buildings on Washington Blvd and the location across from GCP begs for a taller building like most other buildings on the park.

Dawg, I thought so... the quoted Crain's article incorrectly said that Statler City development "would be the first new ground-up apartment building construction in the central business district in recent memory."

No faster way to get me to pick up and leave Detroit! And never return! I despise that man as I do few others.
    I hope for everyone's sake that come November, the majority thinks that way as well.

However, if he wanted to build a condo tower here, I wouldn't be opposed.

Construction of what is now being called City Club Apartments on the old Statler Hotel site is finally taking shape. A sign has appeared on Bagley.

Name:  CityClub-Statler.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  100.0 KB

Last week DTE removed the transformers that sat atop this stand since the hotel days at a cost of $150,000 according to a source. Environmental cores have been dug several times in the past months.

Name:  CityClub-Statler-Transformer.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  173.6 KB

Overall view of the site from DetroitYES 'world headquarters' in the Michigan Building.

Name:  CityClub-UA-statler.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  119.1 KB

That website isn't working for me. Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    That website isn't working for me. Is it just me?
    No its not. I tried it too out of curiosity.

They have a Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/CityClubApts/

and also a blank listing on apartments.com:
    https://www.apartments.com/city-club...it-mi/05k6nv3/

no concrete information on either site.

The apartments.com listing has the old rendering as well. It doesn't really give me confidence that this whole development will be of quality when they can't even get online the website for the development or even post up to date renderings.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The apartments.com listing has the old rendering as well. It doesn't really give me confidence that this whole development will be of quality when they can't even get online the website for the development or even post up to date renderings.
    I agree it's a confidence shaker. Maybe a grand unveiling ceremony with the Mayor because it will be twice as tall? That would make up for the broken web link.

Take a look at Lowell's last picture. Now envision a very slightly larger Auburn or Studio One Apts. structure [[with similar massing and materials) on that vacant site. Upon completion and for decades into the future, passersby will be asking why did they build that cheap, puny little building there. On different level the building will be a another signal to global investors [[on the heels of the RTA millage defeat) that we are satisfied with being a third or fourth tier global city. Finally, for decades into the future the building will serve as a poster child for planners worldwide on what not to permit as infill on an important gateway site. In a National Register district. That's one way to get into the textbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Take a look at Lowell's last picture. Now envision a very slightly larger Auburn or Studio One Apts. structure [[with similar massing and materials) on that vacant site. Upon completion and for decades into the future, passersby will be asking why did they build that cheap, puny little building there. On different level the building will be a another signal to global investors [[on the heels of the RTA millage defeat) that we are satisfied with being a third or fourth tier global city. Finally, for decades into the future the building will serve as a poster child for planners worldwide on what not to permit as infill on an important gateway site. In a National Register district. That's one way to get into the textbooks.
    I could not agree more with swingline.

http://www.multifamilyexecutive.com/...tment-living_o

Interesting article about developer of City Club Apartments... Jonathan Holzman. At the end of the article is this paragraph....

"City Club Apartments currently has offices open in Detroit, Chicago, and Toronto. Holtzman plans to acquire and develop assets on the East Coast in the coming years, and expand the company outside the U.S. and Canada. New City Club developments will be limited to three to four new communities per year, with an average value of $70 million each."

Does this mean that Detroit is getting the $35-$40 million dollar "stick built economy model"??

That whole article reads like nothing more than a puff piece. Just a bunch of praise for a company that is seemingly stuck at the starting line. Look at Gilbert's 28 Grand which was announced in late 2015, it's built and should be ready for residents this summer. Meanwhile.... For City Club we have the same renderings which were released in 2014 and the site has been totally empty save for some tailgaters on opening day.

Time to sell the property to someone with a plan worthy of the Statler site.

K-slice: Just who would that "someone" be? Who do you know that would have the same financing sources? The same ability to satisfy the myriad City agencies that think they know more about real estate development than the people that actually do it? The ability to navigate the endless red tape developers face in Detroit?

Dan Gilbert you say? Well, why didn't he? He sure had the opportunity.

What would you consider a plan "worthy" of the site? I'll bet a lot of money it would be a pie-in-the-sky plan that's financially unbuildable. Prove me wrong.

Do you know who could develop that odd shaped site at a profit? No, you don't.

3WC; I think it's been covered pretty thoroughly on this thread that the renderings we have seen are of a building far better suited to the Midtown area, or even the suburbs.

And while I do not know anybody personally who has the capital to develop such a structure, I would rather the lot sit empty until the time is such that a building appropriate for the area can be feasibly constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    K-slice: Just who would that "someone" be? Who do you know that would have the same financing sources? The same ability to satisfy the myriad City agencies that think they know more about real estate development than the people that actually do it? The ability to navigate the endless red tape developers face in Detroit?

Dan Gilbert you say? Well, why didn't he? He sure had the opportunity.

What would you consider a plan "worthy" of the site? I'll bet a lot of money it would be a pie-in-the-sky plan that's financially unbuildable. Prove me wrong.

Do you know who could develop that odd shaped site at a profit? No, you don't.
    Well, 3WC, was this a property Dan Gilbert had some interest in and then declined? The last time I checked, Gilbert has purchased over 70 downtown properties. Only a few are vacant lots. Is it possible that someone had already laid claim to this property before he had a chance to review it or purchase it? I do agree that the current developers appear to be stretching the time table to development to the extreme. However, one could say that of Gilbert when it comes to the Hudson site. Also, I don't find the former Statler site to be that "odd shaped." The Statler didn't have a problem filling up the site with three street walls. A good developer finds a way to make good use of odd spaces. Think of the Compuware Building but narrower.

Denver is in the midst of a multi-year building boom. Dozens and dozens of the new buildings have been of the 5-6 story stick-built variety placed mostly in neighborhoods outside of downtown. The architecture generated by this building boom has been uninspired. http://www.westword.com/arts/denver-...ight-7818984/2 This is the kind of product that Michigan-based City Club wants to inflict on Grand Circus Park [[on city-owned property with the foolish support of the city administration) while it builds far more substantial projects in other states:

Name:  feature-the-dakota-lofts-1441-central-street.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  feature-via-828-broadway.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  116.8 KB

Name:  feature-elan-union-station-1950-chestnut-place-1.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  97.6 KB

^^^ heinous. this caliber of multifamily crap is built all over the country. it'll only take a decade or 2 to turn into the 'new' projects. think of the colossal waste of resources to throw these together and then envision all of that going into a landfill by 2030. the environmental impact will be great
    Last edited by hybridy; March-22-17 at 08:32 AM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast