Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by StlSteve View Post
    Hello Detroityes community,
    I have been reading post here for a bit. Last night I signed up so I could get feedback on my decision to possibly move to Hamtramck....
    Generally speaking, we have plenty of property crime in Hamtramck, but not a whole lot of capital crimes. Police response time is excellent compared to Detroit, just a few minutes. The sewer system isn't that great; during a downpour most basements flood, which is kind of a drag.

Hamtramck is kind of cool in that it has good neighborhoods and not-so-good neighborhoods. In most places, the good people would simply leave, right?

Message me privately if you'd like to learn more. I can put you in touch with somebody who did what you are about to embark on.

pm sent detroitnerd thanks

I don't/never lived in Hamtramck but it's always been interesting to me.

There's a density/intimacy to it unlike any other place in Michigan.

I was just there last night at Royal Kabob. Its interesting it was hit just as hard as any other community but it was able to at least look like an actual community as opposed to the neighboring Eastside where I grew up and Highland Park [[which I think has it's own potential).

It's almost ready made to be serviced by decent public transporation, but things being what they are it will also probably never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It's almost ready made to be serviced by decent public transporation, but things being what they are it will also probably never see it.
    DDOT does a pretty good job servicing Hamtramck. This info is kind of old, but it is still relevant. http://www.hamtramckstar.com/hamtram...ransportation/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    DDOT does a pretty good job servicing Hamtramck. This info is kind of old, but it is still relevant. http://www.hamtramckstar.com/hamtram...ransportation/
    Thanks detroitplanner I will check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    Only one of the three DDOT bus lines from your link survived the last round of route elimination, and that line [[#8 Caniff) was so unreliable ten years ago, that I would walk to Woodward, rather than wait on that bus. I can't imagine that its on-time performance has improved.
    Well hopefully service will improve, at least there is an option to get downtown on a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Generally speaking, we have plenty of property crime in Hamtramck, but not a whole lot of capital crimes. Police response time is excellent compared to Detroit, just a few minutes. The sewer system isn't that great; during a downpour most basements flood, which is kind of a drag.
    Hamtramck's police department is pretty much down to two cars/shift. They will NOT respond to non-injury vehicle accidents. Winter sucks - my road has been cleared exactly once in the last 12 years, half of the people don't clear the sidewalks. If you are lucky, you can get a place with a driveway, otherwise parking is a pain. Riding a bike into Detroit isn't bad. I've never had an issue and neither have friends.

I have never had any crime issues, but there are some parts that are worse than others. It seems to me that the areas between Holbrook and Caniff are better for that, from Jos. Campau to Buffalo. The area north of Caniff between Jos Campau and Fleming was pretty iffy for awhile, but some major problem buildings have been well-sealed and new residents have improved the area. Closer to the highway and south of Holbrook are not so good.

Not sure about the Grand Haven/Dyer neighborhood [[that little sliver of Hamtramck on the other side of I-75

Did the cuts to police happen after the placement of the emergency manager,
    everything i have read about Hamtramck online talk about the positives of the quick response time of the police there. I appreciate your feedback on the areas that have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Hamtramck's police department is pretty much down to two cars/shift. They will NOT respond to non-injury vehicle accidents. Winter sucks - my road has been cleared exactly once in the last 12 years, half of the people don't clear the sidewalks. If you are lucky, you can get a place with a driveway, otherwise parking is a pain. Riding a bike into Detroit isn't bad. I've never had an issue and neither have friends.

I have never had any crime issues, but there are some parts that are worse than others. It seems to me that the areas between Holbrook and Caniff are better for that, from Jos. Campau to Buffalo. The area north of Caniff between Jos Campau and Fleming was pretty iffy for awhile, but some major problem buildings have been well-sealed and new residents have improved the area. Closer to the highway and south of Holbrook are not so good.

Not sure about the Grand Haven/Dyer neighborhood [[that little sliver of Hamtramck on the other side of I-75