Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why is this a big deal? OK, walk thru the metal detector. Continue on to the consession stand, to your seat and then enjoy the game. I can't imagine the downside to this scenario overpowering the upside. People do this for many things nowadays. Airport. Concerts. Banks [[depending on location). Schools.
    I would imagine most would think its a good thing to know that the guy behind you working on his 9th beer doesn't have a S&W stuffed in his waistband.
    I likewise don't know why some people feel this is a problem. If its done well -- its a non-issue. If done badly, its another story. Nobody wants to wait in long lines to be treated badly by an officious security guard looking for paper clips in your pocket.

I don't think there's much to worry about. JLA has been doing this for at years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why is this a big deal? OK, walk thru the metal detector. Continue on to the consession stand, to your seat and then enjoy the game. I can't imagine the downside to this scenario overpowering the upside. People do this for many things nowadays. Airport. Concerts. Banks [[depending on location). Schools.
    I would imagine most would think its a good thing to know that the guy behind you working on his 9th beer doesn't have a S&W stuffed in his waistband.
    It's a big deal because it's added time, expense and inconvenience that's only going to increase the profits of the team owners under the guise of fixing a safety problem that doesn't even exist.

Have there been any problems with shootings or stabbings in major league ball parks? If there has I sure as heck have not heard of them... How will metal detectors stop would be terrorists? If one wants to commit a mass shooting or use explosives now they will just target the huge line of people crowded before the metal detectors trying to get into the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    How will metal detectors stop would be terrorists?
    Lisa: Dad, what if I were to tell you that this rock keeps away tigers.
    Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work. It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: I see.
    Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?
    Homer: Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You feel "terrorized" by walking through a metal detector? And another poster called it an "invasion of privacy?" Countdown until some hyperbolic poster compares walking through a metal detector to being raped in 3...2...1..

Funny how no one seems to complain about the metal detectors they've had at Joe Louis Arena for years.
    Where did I say I feel terrorized. Nothing could be further from the truth. All this BS is nothing but fear mongering on the part of officials, lawmakers, etc. that would put us thru this kind of malarkey.

FYI, I thought the metal detectors at the Joe were BS too. If memory serves, about 1998.

It's a big deal because it's added time, expense and inconvenience that's only going to increase the profits of the team owners under the guise of fixing a safety problem that doesn't even exist.

Have there been any problems with shootings or stabbings in major league ball parks? If there has I sure as heck have not heard of them... How will metal detectors stop would be terrorists? If one wants to commit a mass shooting or use explosives now they will just target the huge line of people crowded before the metal detectors trying to get into the place.
    Having been a long standing Lions fan and justifying some of my devotion to the Detroit teams that I follow- I often hear about how people bitch about the sports climate here. From losing seasons, escalating ticket prices, unruly fans, losing seasons, outrageously priced beers, long lines in bathrooms, etc... I've heard them all.

And maybe I'm just the eternal optimist [[I think one has to be in order to follow the Lions for as long as I have) but I always contend that at least we have a major league team here.

I'd much rather be inconvenienced an hour or two attending MY major league sport as opposed to not having one at all. We're one of the few cities in North America that actually HAS all four of the major sports to cheer [[and I haven't even tossed in collegiate sports locally). And I've also seen baseball, basketball and hockey championships here [[Super Bowl is pretty elusive here).

Want to be like other cities like Cleveland where they don't even have all four major sports and haven't won since early hominids learned to walk upright?

No one is forcing anyone to pony up the money to go to any of these sporting events. No one is saying you have to buy into the machine. You never have to face one of these metal detectors at Comerica Park ever; Rod & Mario call a pretty good game on TV. But if you do, be informed now of what to expect. One has a choice to attend or not; I won't think you're any less a fan of the sport- but just know that's a part of the price one has to pay in attending these games in person now.

How in any way is this a inconvenience or problem? So people will have to pull their stuff out of their pockets and wait in line a little longer. BFD. Get there earlier. Almost sounds like the people who complain about having to go through a TSA scanner at the airport, then scream "why aren't we doing more to protect people" when a plane gets hijacked or an attempt is made to blow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How in any way is this a inconvenience or problem? So people will have to pull their stuff out of their pockets and wait in line a little longer. BFD. Get there earlier. Almost sounds like the people who complain about having to go through a TSA scanner at the airport, then scream "why aren't we doing more to protect people" when a plane gets hijacked or an attempt is made to blow it up.
    The major difference being that the screening at airports has been increased because of a proven threat. Remember the whole 911 thing where planes were actually hijacked and 1000's of people were killed? As far as I know there have been no acts of terrorism and no weapons related acts of violence inside of these ball parks. So if these things have not been an issue what are the metal detectors being put into place to keep out?

My guess is they will spend more time stopping people trying to smuggle in hidden flasks and bags of Skittles. Of course they're not trying to suggest that alcohol and candy are a security threat, only that one should buy their alcohol and candy [[At 400% of what it costs outside the gates).

Honestly, I actually have more of an issue with the bag restrictions at Ford Field. People with medical problems should not have to publicly explain their condition or their need to carry certain items to Ford Field security. Nor should they be forced to carry those necessitates [[Such as medication, incontinence items or extra clothes) in a small clear plastic bag.

The major difference being that the screening at airports has been increased because of a proven threat. Remember the whole 911 thing where planes were actually hijacked and 1000's of people were killed? As far as I know there have been no acts of terrorism and no weapons related acts of violence inside of these ball parks. So if these things have not been an issue what are the metal detectors being put into place to keep out?
    Funny story... A manual written by the airline industry years before the Sept. 11 attacks instructed airport screeners to confiscate from passengers boxcutters like those used by the hijackers.

Though the federal government did not specifically bar the objects before Sept. 11, the airlines were in charge of security and the manual they compiled was the guidebook for determining what items could be brought aboard flights.

My guess is they will spend more time stopping people trying to smuggle in hidden flasks and bags of Skittles. Of course they're not trying to suggest that alcohol and candy are a security threat, only that one should buy their alcohol and candy [[At 400% of what it costs outside the gates).
    It is, I'm guessing 80% this and 20% "security".

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And maybe I'm just the eternal optimist [[I think one has to be in order to follow the Lions for as long as I have) but I always contend that at least we have a major league team here.

I'd much rather be inconvenienced an hour or two attending MY major league sport as opposed to not having one at all. We're one of the few cities in North America that actually HAS all four of the major sports to cheer [[and I haven't even tossed in collegiate sports locally). And I've also seen baseball, basketball and hockey championships here [[Super Bowl is pretty elusive here).

Want to be like other cities like Cleveland where they don't even have all four major sports and haven't won since early hominids learned to walk upright?
    There's no threat of any of the pro teams leaving for greener pastures. The Detroit Metro region is the ideal market and moving one of them would make no sense whatsoever.

That's the exact kind of thinking that allowed 9/11 to happen in the first place."Hey, nothing has happened ever, so were okay!" Why not take preemptive measures to ENSURE it doesn't ever happen?

Well get one of these....
    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/booze-be...212993562.html
    You can smuggle in a whole fifth of Jack, or your booze of choice. Problem solved. Oh yeah, leave the Skittles at home. Candy makes you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post

FYI, I thought the metal detectors at the Joe were BS too. If memory serves, about 1998.
    Don't you know? That's why there hasn't been a terrorist attack at the Joe for 16 years!

[QUOTE=poobert;427654]Baseball games aren't fun in Detroit anymore. Comerica Park is more amusement park than ballpark. Then two tickets and some brewskies and you're looking at $100+ for an outing. Since when did baseball become a rich man's game? Now you're going to make me feel like I'm at some ungodly hybrid of an airport and shopping mall?
    QUOTE]

These are ridiculous statements. If you think having two tiny kids rides
    nowhere near the field of play makes it an amusement park then you've got a pretty strange definition of amusement park. And If you're spending $100 to go to a game then you're either sitting it the priciest seats in the park or drinking 10 $8 beers. My regular seats cost $27 and they're in the 2nd row above 1st base. The vast majority of seats are under $25 and you can go for as low as $9.

Sorry Tiger Stadium is gone, I miss it too, but Comerica is a nice ballpark. It's actually better than the much adored Camden Yards when it comes to lines of sight from anywhere in the place.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's not as if metal detectors would have stopped the Boston Marathon bombing. The best thing you can do is go about your daily life and be vigilant and report anything suspicious.

Baseball games aren't fun in Detroit anymore. Comerica Park is more amusement park than ballpark. Then two tickets and some brewskies and you're looking at $100+ for an outing. Since when did baseball become a rich man's game? Now you're going to make me feel like I'm at some ungodly hybrid of an airport and shopping mall?

I used to go to games but stopped a couple years ago. I'll save my money and my dignity, thanks!

Casey's Pub doesn't have metal detectors or ferris wheels or $8.00 beers or a parking lot in front or other assorted dumb shit that only a stupid old fart like Illitch could come up with, and that's where I'll be on Opening Day.
    Don't forget that when Comerica Park was built they had no baseball to sell down there - the team had been terrible for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    That's the exact kind of thinking that allowed 9/11 to happen in the first place."Hey, nothing has happened ever, so were okay!" Why not take preemptive measures to ENSURE it doesn't ever happen?
    I'll happily take the risk of the one in a million [[likely much greater) chance of a being a victim in a terrorist attack than dealing with metal detectors, security's and NSA everywhere all the time.

It's a matter of balancing what you value: I think adding all of the things like this slowly erode our quality of life. The threat of being a victim of a terrorist attack does not cross my mind except going through security procedures.

Frankly how many people are actually injure by a beach ball? How many were stabbed by someone with a small pen knife?

NO ONE WAS!

This is all about creating a society where the citizens are the enemy of the Police State. The COPS on one side of the line and the untrustable masses on the other.

There's no threat of any of the pro teams leaving for greener pastures. The Detroit Metro region is the ideal market and moving one of them would make no sense whatsoever.
    I'm sure that's what the fans of the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, New Orleans Jazz, Milwaukee Lakers, Seattle Pilots, Montreal Expos, Kansas City Athletics, Charlotte Hornets, Seattle SuperSonics, New Jersey Nets, Oakland/ LA Raiders, San Diego Clippers, Houston Oilers, Atlanta Flames, Atlanta Thrashers, Hartford Whalers, and a whole host of other cities thought too.

In this day and age if a municipality suddenly wants to pony up a brand spanking new stadium, offer up tax credits, and rolls out the red carpet- who's to say that ANY sports team isn't willing to bolt?

How many more years does a team owner have to take a financial beating in his market before he sees greener pastures. I personally can't see the Lions, Tigers or Wings leaving [[far too much history here and their respective leagues probably won't let them leave) but what about Tom Gores and his flaming poo pile at The Palace? Miserable attendance, lousy record, and a bitch to get to for most Detroiters? How much longer do you think he's going to stay here if he doesn't have some sort of incentive? The NBA is full of vagabond owners now.

So don't think it can't happen here if a team loses its fan base or some other economic downturn hits their team. It's happened before; hell- the majority of the Detroit teams are actually bought from other cities.

The Pistons came from Fort Wayne, IN.
    The Wings came from Victoria, BC.
    The Lions came from Portsmith, OH

Only the Tigers were born & bred here.

Was patted down, by hand, for liqour bottles in the early seventies. Nothing new, Just a little scarier. Keep me home for the ball game.

I just don't bother to attend games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Was patted down, by hand, for liqour bottles in the early seventies. Nothing new, Just a little scarier. Keep me home for the ball game.
    Yepper, If you were a bleacher-creature, pat-downs and searches were part of entry agenda. [[luckily NO cavity searches) I have no issues with the metal detectors, per se, however I do have multiple issues with Mr. Ilitch and his modus operandi. I just don't find the game entertaining enough to drop a couple of Ben's to go "experience" it.

What I find funny is that these precautions were NOT taken at pre season games in Florida....Why? No criminals or terrorists in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    What I find funny is that these precautions were NOT taken at pre season games in Florida....Why? No criminals or terrorists in Florida?
    Correct. FL has a law prohibiting criminal or terrorist activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Just throwing this out there [[no pun intended), this is a Major League Baseball measure, not the Tigers. MLB wants this implemented by 2015, so the Tigers are just getting a head start on it, and MLB likes this because it's basically a guinea pig to see how it could go for the rest of the ballparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post
    This is all about creating a society where the citizens are the enemy of the Police State. The COPS on one side of the line and the untrustable masses on the other.
    Which branch of the government is Comerica Park a part of? I wasn't aware that they were a governmental entity, let alone affiliated with law enforcement in any way. But don't let that get in the way of your nonsensical hysteria. NSA! GOVERNMENT SPYING! Where's Edward Snowden to save us from the Major League Baseball police state conspiracy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Where did I say I feel terrorized. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    This is a direct quote from your post:

"I see it as acting exactly the way terrorists hoped we would, terrorized."

Also, what's with the terrorism red herring that I keep seeing thrown around here by so many people? Who said that these metal detectors are a response to terrorism? Nobody. Literally no one has said that, expect people on DYes.

We live in a country where it seems like every braindead yokel has a permit to carry a handgun and 100,000 people get shot every year. But of course, it must be terrorism-related...because reasons!
    Last edited by aj3647; April-01-14 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Which branch of the government is Comerica Park a part of? I wasn't aware that they were a governmental entity, let alone affiliated with law enforcement in any way. But don't let that get in the way of your nonsensical hysteria. NSA! GOVERNMENT SPYING! Where's Edward Snowden to save us from the Major League Baseball police state conspiracy!!!
    Which branch? The Detroit-Wayne County Stadium Authority of course. The DWCSA has agents everywhere in the stadium. I'm on to them though, which is why I put my wallet in tinfoil when I go to the games. But obviously they became aware of it and got some metal detectors. Well played DWCSA, well played.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2