Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by YourCorner View Post
    Well, it looks like all the research & stalking of the Fisher mansions was for not [[though enjoyable). I've acquired an old brochure of The World of Architectural Antiques, which lists the origins of some of the architectural pieces installed in the APCC.

The stone actually came from the "Dodge & Weber Mansions - Grosse Pointe"

I was just going to post a picture, but my scan is 42MB! lol From an old Grosse Pointe News article, the Weber Mansion was located around Lake Shore & Provencal & torn down sometime in 1984 for the Windemere Place development.

Anyone familiar with it?

I haven't done that much poking around yet & I'll reduce the size of the photos to post.
    Hello all, first post longtime lurker.

You are correct the stone and railing came from the Weber mansion that was on Lakeshore just south of Hank the Deuces mansion which is now the Windemere Pl. condos.

Went thru it many times as it was being dismantled. Talked with Mr Bianco many times. Home was not that impressive on the interior, had a rather large ballroom as I recall. House had a cold uninviting feel about it.
    Original plans were found on the property including the landscape plan that showed extensive formal gardens that went to Kercheval.

Dont confuse this home with the Weber home on Weber Pl in GPS.

Fantastic gpwforever! Thank you for confirming that! =)

From what I gather, the Weber mansion was the home of Richard & Eloise Webber, correct? Which also begs the question, is it Weber or Webber? I've seen it in the Grosse Pointe news archives both ways.

Any idea where I can find a photo of it? Ooooo I want to ask you a million questions now! lol Was there an auction or did the developer handle the dismantling & selling off of the estate? Any thing else you could tell me about the home or Mr Bianco would be immensely helpful & greatly appreciated =)

Default More of Rose Terrace at old Proto-Plastics

If anyone wants to know where a sizable amount of the stone facade from Rose Terrace is, here's some photos of the old Proto-Plastics, formerly owned by Joe Bianco, now Classic Systems.

[IMG]Outside old Proto-Plastics by yourcorner75, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Rose Terrace Facade at old Proto-Plastics by yourcorner75, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this one is just for you Packman41. A mural of classic cars & car makers inside the building. There's also a ton of painted parking lines from Joe & his son Frank's collection of Bianco Classic Cars.

[IMG]Automotive Mural at old Proto-Plastics by yourcorner75, on Flickr[/IMG]

A huge thanks to the current owner of Classic Systems who let me tour & photograph the plant. He even scanned the pages from the 2010 auction catalog!

I wish I was working on this project 2 years ago though. There were a lot of items that he tore out & threw out!!!! I would have been more than happy to take any of it off his hands.

Default In other news: back to the Fisher mansions

I purchased this photograph before learning that the stone facade was not from one of the Fisher mansions, so I figured I'd share.

Here's a photo of the William Fisher mansion in Palmer Woods before it burned down in 1994 from the Detroit Free Press [[1991).

Name:  WmFisher_PalmerPark_0002.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  46.3 KB

And also the back of the photo with the Free Press photo identification sheet & a article clipping.

Name:  WmFisher_PalmerPark_0003.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  37.6 KB

Apparently, this Willie Ozier, Jr who claimed to have purchased the mansion was a shady character. I'll have to find the full article, cause this sounds interesting.

I'll only upload these pics to Flickr [[a more permanent place) if I have enough room after everything else, so if you want it, right-click & steal it. Be forewarned though, even though I purchased it, I don't have total "rights" to it. That still belongs to the Free Press.

Quote Originally Posted by YourCorner View Post
    Fantastic gpwforever! Thank you for confirming that! =)

From what I gather, the Weber mansion was the home of Richard & Eloise Webber, correct? Which also begs the question, is it Weber or Webber? I've seen it in the Grosse Pointe news archives both ways.

Any idea where I can find a photo of it? Ooooo I want to ask you a million questions now! lol Was there an auction or did the developer handle the dismantling & selling off of the estate? Any thing else you could tell me about the home or Mr Bianco would be immensely helpful & greatly appreciated =)
    It's Webber. Richard H. Webber was Joseph L. Hudson's nephew and became head of J.L. Hudson's upon his uncle's death. Before building the mansion in Grosse Pointe he lived in Indian Village at 1483 Iroquois between St. Paul and Agnes.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's Webber. Richard H. Webber was Joseph L. Hudson's nephew and became head of J.L. Hudson's upon his uncle's death. Before building the mansion in Grosse Pointe he lived in Indian Village at 1483 Iroquois between St. Paul and Agnes.
    Thanks for confirming that EastsideAl =) I wanted to be sure before pursuing a whole line of research down that avenue lol

How do you guys know all this stuff anyhow? Most of my previous projects have just been in the legal & financial area. People & places is a whole other world. Any tips for a newbie?

Here is a listing of the building of the home from the Dec. 30, 1922 issue of the American Architect.

Name:  webber mansion listing american architect 123022.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  15.6 KB

I still can't find a picture of it though. It is mentioned in W. Hawkins Ferry's "The Buildings of Detroit". but there is no picture of it, only a picture of the nearby Backus mansion that was designed by the same architect. That architect was Robert O. Derrick, who also designed several other mansions in Grosse Pointe, and some other local landmarks like the Henry Ford Museum.

Name:  fish mans 2.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  55.2 KBName:  fisher mansion original.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  12.4 KBI thought this was a neat juxtaposition of images, I took the photos of the empty boat house/servants quarters back in 1981.Name:  fish mans.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  57.6 KBName:  fish mans 1.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  51.0 KB
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; September-18-15 at 11:36 AM.

That's pretty spiffy! I never did find photos of the Webber mansion [[probably could if I made the trek over to the Grosse Pointe Historical Society/Library. They wanted money to email me anything lol).
    Even though they weren't part of my research, I still love the Fisher Mansions. We went to the Estate Sale at the Palmer Woods one that went up for sale last year. Amazing!...gee, I should post pictures of that lol

Designed by Brown Preston & Derrick for Richard H. Webber. 437 Lakeshore Drive built 1923-1925 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI.

Demolished: 1984
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2