Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    One reason why small businesses dont want to set up shop in detroit is due to lack of building safety inspectots This causes soonto openo businesses to have to wait almost a half of year past the planned opening date waiting on the slow inspectors to give them tne greenlight to open. The starbucks in campus martius and Red Hook cafes are having a hard time getting prepared to open. Building and Safety inspectors are fickle in this town. They are hard on retailers who want
    to open a business in detroit but they let these apartment buildings get away with not being up to code.
    The crime issue on this thread is of course of paramount importance.

This post is spot on. If you want a vibrant city where commerce thrives, you not only have to control crime but you also have to do everything else right too. So everyone is right. The problem is crime, city permit process, schools, fire, trash, street lights, equality of opportunity, good roads, access to social safety net, health care, ordinance enforcement, decent insurance prices, good coffee shops and groceries, quality liquor stores, fair elections, inclusion and diversity, freedom to fail, culture of acceptance, good universities, fresh produce, and cheap dive bars, excellent pierogis, falafel, and pizza, nice public stadiums, parks, arenas, and opera houses, a vibrant alternative theatre scene, liberal policies towards gay unions, ... and well you get the idea.

Everything must be done right. Nothing left untouched. All things addressed -- none have to be perfect.

City permitting is indeed inconsistent. That's the problem when you have a combination of a decaying administrative bureaucracy combined with do-gooders who must pass laws to control everything. For the short-term, we'd be better off lightening up their duties and focusing on core issues. Don't sweat everything. But be good enough at everything

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Hi. I'm Frank Rizzo. From time to time, I post on here because something grinds my gears, you know?
    But today I want to spread the good news. I want to talk about how my community is better than Detroit.
    You see, there is a city called Detroit. I live somewhat north of it. Detroit is literally the worst place on earth. I mean, there are literally skeletons on fire shooting AK-47s all over the place, and muggers start sticking to your car as soon as you enter city limits. It's a hellhole. Or so I see on the evening news. Honestly, I haven't gone into that shithole for years. Why would I? I won't even go to the new ballpark. Too scary. That place is awful.
    Now, the reason that I love my life here in my suburban community so much is that it's not like Detroit at all. Call the cops and they arrive right away. Call the Fire Department and the engine rushes down your street in moments. What's more, there's hardly any reason to call them. The crime is so low that the cops spend most of their time on traffic tickets and making collision reports, right? The schools are much better than in Detroit. And it's populated with a better class of people than Detroit. It's amazing just how non-Detroit my community is. All my neighbors understand this and we all congratulate each other every day, compared to that city to the south where the CHUDS come out at night.
    I did run into one problem. I had my cousin come out to visit. He lives in Philadelphia. He said that my neighborhood was boring and that the people here were close-minded. I mean, that guy had some nerve. I drove him down the main drag in my neighborhood, pointing out all the safe business owners selling tires, doing brakes and alignments, effective $10 car washes, hardware superstores, inexpensive diners and beautiful seven-lane intersections. I pointed out that none of the buildings were burned out, and how everybody obeyed the traffic lights, and how this wasn't like Detroit at all. He just sighed, like he didn't care. He doesn't understand that we can't have art museums on every corner. We all gotta work for a living, you know? Really, I don't understand people like him.
    Anyway, they're the exception. Most people understand that when you have a community that isn't like Detroit, it's enough to get people excited. You know, like, there's this baseline of service that we all need to really thrive. We need decent schools, good police, OK fire service and some infrastructure that isn't broken and people just love it. Because it's better than Detroit. All of us are better than Detroit. Except them. And that's enough for me, pal.
    I'm Frank Rizzo. Thank you for your time.
    It must be, that's why you moved out of Detroit years ago, eh Hamtramcknerd?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    If you want a vibrant city where commerce thrives, you not only have to control crime but you also have to do everything else right too. So everyone is right. The problem is crime, city permit process, schools, fire, trash, street lights, equality of opportunity, good roads, access to social safety net, health care, ordinance enforcement, decent insurance prices, good coffee shops and groceries, quality liquor stores, fair elections, inclusion and diversity, freedom to fail, culture of acceptance, good universities, fresh produce, and cheap dive bars, excellent pierogis, falafel, and pizza, nice public stadiums, parks, arenas, and opera houses, a vibrant alternative theatre scene, liberal policies towards gay unions, ... and well you get the idea.

Everything must be done right. Nothing left untouched. All things addressed -- none have to be perfect.

City permitting is indeed inconsistent. That's the problem when you have a combination of a decaying administrative bureaucracy combined with do-gooders who must pass laws to control everything. For the short-term, we'd be better off lightening up their duties and focusing on core issues. Don't sweat everything. But be good enough at everything

The problem is that they left the inmates in charge of the asylum for far too long.

Frank, do you live in Stepford?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It must be, that's why you moved out of Detroit years ago, eh Hamtramcknerd?
    Awww, it's the world's littlest heckler yanking the world's littlest chain. How CUTE!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Awww, it's the world's littlest heckler yanking the world's littlest chain. How CUTE!
    Gee, I have no idea how little your chain is.

many small business owners had said that they had a long wait for the final inspection. Very discouraging

Just a typical Detroit black thing.

Danny it goes beyond that. An incompetent George Jackson and the DEGC and the lack of inspectors who work for the city. Corruption, greed, and incompetence had brought this city down more than the recession had did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Damn good question.

Like most of my ideas it would be prefaced with, "If I were King...", but alas we live in a supposed democracy based on Common Law. Therefore the most efficient course of action will be politically incorrect.

So what is the least offensive course of action... Leave?
    A good starting point would be to NOT go out of your way to make remarks designed to do nothing more than raise an emotional response [[What would Mohammed do? - more like who would Jesus mock?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2