Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default William Clay Ford dies

The Washington Post reports that William Clay Ford died at his home of pneumonia at age 88.

RIP William Clay Ford Sr.

This famous photo was taken of the Ford family at the outbreak of WWII, at their Gaukler Pointe estate in Grosse Pointe Shores.

Left to right... Edsel & Eleanor Ford and their 4 children Henry II, Benson, Jospehine and William.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; March-09-14 at 01:05 PM.

Never met the man, but I know he was a generous philanthropist to many causes. He will be missed by his family and friends.

Colleen delivered newspapers to his home, in the 1980s. First day, she used the wrong access point and was met by two very polite, but firm, guys with weapons, who explained the proper route. Several copies were requested, each day, and generous tips were sent by Ford Headquarters.

R.I.P...thanks for bringing the lions back downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    R.I.P...thanks for bringing the lions back downtown.
    Agreed with everything above. He was certainly charitable, brought the Lions back downtown, and Ford never went bankrupt. All in all, not a bad life. I wish his family peace and comfort right now. RIP William Clay Ford, and now that whole generation of Detroit's major figures [[I don't think there is such a prominent person still around who was a major business or political in Detroit that many years ago, except maybe John Dingell).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Agreed with everything above. He was certainly charitable, brought the Lions back downtown, and Ford never went bankrupt. All in all, not a bad life. I wish his family peace and comfort right now. RIP William Clay Ford, and now that whole generation of Detroit's major figures [[I don't think there is such a prominent person still around who was a major business or political in Detroit that many years ago, except maybe John Dingell).
    Carl Levin.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Carl Levin.
    I mean someone who was a power player from the '50s onward. Carl Levin didn't become one until sometime in the early 70s. He's a little younger, and started a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I mean someone who was a power player from the '50s onward. Carl Levin didn't become one until sometime in the early 70s. He's a little younger, and started a little later.
    Second your vote here. Levin certain was a strong politician for our area, and of course Dingell too. But WCF was far more influential than both combined. I'm surprised not to see more posts here on his influence. There are probably hundreds of stories about his engagement with our fine city. Bring on the stories.

I hope that the team stays downtown [[could it be in his will?)

RIP Mr. Ford!!

A nicely written piece....
    http://www.autoextremist.com/current...le-legacy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm surprised not to see more posts here on his influence. There are probably hundreds of stories about his engagement with our fine city. Bring on the stories.
    That's probably because WCF was pretty much standing in the shadow cast by Hank the Deuce.

My WCF story:

I was hitting golf balls on the almost-empty driving range with a demo driver from the pro shop. WCF was hitting balls a few spots down from me. I snapped the head off the driver while hitting a range ball. As the head of the driver headed out into the range area, WCF turned around and said "What was that?" As he saw me standing there holding a headless golf shaft, he began to laugh. He asked, "What kind of driver is that?" I told him "I don't know, it's a demo." He replied "Not anymore, its yours now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    That's probably because WCF was pretty much standing in the shadow cast by Hank the Deuce.

Very true.
    How could he not, though? Hank II certainly cast a large shadow.

Perhaps early on Henry cast a long shadow, but he's been dead for a quarter century. I think truthfully that William Clay Sr. really liked his privacy. Can't blame him for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Perhaps early on Henry cast a long shadow, but he's been dead for a quarter century. I think truthfully that William Clay Sr. really liked his privacy. Can't blame him for that...
    I would say Henry Ford II cast a shadow over Bill Ford for decades. Henry Ford II ran Ford Motor Company for 35 years. Bill and Henry had issues for years over various things especially the Mark II situation [[circa 1956-57), resentment over Bill's position or lack of within the company, moving the Lions out of Detroit, etc. We are talking about perhaps the most high profile CEO of the mid-20th century. Benson and Bill were never able to really carve a niche at Ford for various reasons. Also, it took Bill a long time to accept he wouldn't have the role he desired at Ford Motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope that the team stays downtown [[could it be in his will?)
    Given the renewed interest in downtown now by regional leaders [[and how successful Ford Field has been), don't count on the Lions going anywhere.