Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Canthisbe View Post
    I am a construction and real estate attorney and real estate broker. I am going to gather additional information about Parc Lafayette Condos and will post it here. I think there are some interesting ideas posted here about turning the Parc Lafayette Condos around. Maybe we can collaborate to make something happen versus write about it.
    I'd be interested in this. I'd like to move and a place like this is on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I'd be interested in this. I'd like to move and a place like this is on my list.

Welp, that's like 2 of us so I guess we have enough people to make a difference now. See you there!

I had a very close school friend whose family lived there in the late '70s, just before the place went condo. I remember them complaining even then about fit and finish issues and the difficulty of keeping their place warm. What I recall from having been in their apt. many times was what looked like a very pleasant modern layout, but also drafty, with squeaky, noisy, and somewhat saggy floors and staircases.

Is it true that these were built on wood frames? If so, why? That would explain some of the problems.

From the sound of things it seems to have gotten into the "vicious cycle" that plagues many aging condo buildings. As the buildings age, costs rise, As the costs rise fewer people are willing to pay what the upkeep actually costs. Maintenance is deferred, services and amenities are scaled back, wealthier owners move out, owners with fewer resources move in, owners stop paying their charges, legal costs rise. Eventually, of course, large-scale work is needed to deal with deferred issues, assessments are made, charges go up more, scaring away more owners and potential owners, and causing more to fall into arrears. All of which causes sale prices to fall, meaning owners are losing value while paying ever-escalating maintenance charges for a declining level of maintenance and amenities. It can be extremely hard to get out of this sort of trap. It requires a hard core of dedicated owners with deep pockets and a willingness to spend with uncertain returns.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-11-14 at 05:16 PM.

I am curious if anyone has more information on this Condo development. We recently visited friends that purchased one of the low rise units and are doing a full renovation. So far they seem happy but they are very new to the picture. They were telling us there are still various units available and they are looking for the right kind of people -aka young families or young professionals willing to be a part of the community. My husband and I have been looking at homes in Detroit and wonder if this could be a good option as a potential investment starter home. Does anyone know other people living here now? Has the maintenance improved? Curious to know more about Parc Lafayette.

Hii, bringing this thread back from the dead to follow up. I just bought a unit in Parc Lafayette in the fall, after researching the place online [[including this thread, thank you all!) and visiting/inspecting. It's a duplex unit similar to the floor plan posted here with the underground garage opening directly into the unit. The common elements are certainly in need of rehab, both guts and landscaping. But for a condo this size, this easily walkable/bikeable to downtown, inside an absolute modernist gem... there's nothing close to the price point for all it offers after watching the market for a year.

It is definitely the fixer-upper of Lafayette Park, but there are some perks: the Mies houses' landscaping and gardens blow us away, but they're still scraping ice off their cars all winter

There is new management as of a few years ago who seems to be well aware of the scope of the work it needs. From what I understand there are quite a few units held by owners who are using some kind of bankruptcy loophole to avoid paying their HoAs, which is causing the community to be underfunded for the necessary rehab work that needs to be done. Increased occupancy should help, and there is pressure on the non-HoA-payers. With that we should be able to raise the revenue needed to get the hard work done. I feel like I see a new Uhaul moving furniture in every other weekend, and many units are actively being renovated, so signs point to positive momentum.

The location I think has mega potential – with huge developments flanking 3 sides [[huge Eastern Market expansion to the north, Riverfront development to the south, I-375 removal and downtown & EM grid reconnection to the west) this place will be surrounded by fresh infrastructure soon. Unless all 3 of these major city works fall through [[knock knock), I don't see how this place doesn't become more and more of a hang in the next 5-10.

Anyway I know this thread is kinda ancient but thanks for all the digging yall have done, this thread was valuable during the house hunt.Name:  Ey0Dn-eXMAAfrvN.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  103.3 KB

The floor to ceiling windows concept that the apartment buildings and condos in the Lafayette Park area doesn't work well in the cold winter months. Draftiness had always been an issue with the buildings in Lafayette Park. The owners of the apartment buildings were too cheap to replace or update the windows but instead such as the owner of Lafayette Towers had done, spend money on drilling deep into the earth to drawn heat or cool air for the lobby only. Parc Lafayette nerd the same updating

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The floor to ceiling windows concept that the apartment buildings and condos in the Lafayette Park area doesn't work well in the cold winter months. Draftiness had always been an issue with the buildings in Lafayette Park. The owners of the apartment buildings were too cheap to replace or update the windows but instead such as the owner of Lafayette Towers had done, spend money on drilling deep into the earth to drawn heat or cool air for the lobby only. Parc Lafayette nerd the same updating
    You are certainly correct about some of the buildings in Lafayette Park needing new windows, however that pertains to many of the rental buildings and a few, but not all of the condos. I have lived in Lafayette Park for 30 years. The Mies townhouses, as well as 1300 Lafayette East, have all replaced their glass windows with thermal double glass windows in the late 1990s. I can personally vouch as I was a coordinator on the replacement committee for the Nicolet Cooperative Townhouses. 1300, where Im at now, did the same. It was a major, but costly improvement, probably the best one yet . Heating/ Cooling improvement, as well as noise reduction, was major in both of these complexes.
    Last edited by DetBill; May-16-21 at 05:45 PM.

Thank you for the update, I agree about the architecture and I'm glad to hear that it's moving in the right direction. I was worried that with its location it would eventually be demolished and replaced with something much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    yeah, these windows are for sure the biggest infrastructural drawback right now. and with only two window companies approved for service, i'm stuck on a long queue for the job. but we're getting that double-paned slightly tinted glass that should help with the climate control. that said, floor to ceiling windows are just gorgeous, the way they open the indoor space up into the garden and patio, it's gonna be hard to ever go back to classic framed windows in the future

I know this is a long in the tooth thread. I’m looking
    at one of these units with my real estate agent next week. I was curious, does anyone know if Parc Lafayette is doing any better these days or if any improvements are being made ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusindetroit View Post
    I know this is a long in the tooth thread. I’m looking at one of these units with my real estate agent next week. I was curious, does anyone know if Parc Lafayette is doing any better these days or if any improvements are being made ?
    I was trying to reply to your DM, but i don't think the site was working right so i'll just post here. I still live here, still happy with my purchase here. The campus is not without ongoing improvement needs but the board is super committed and everything is moving in the right direction.

we brought on the property management company that rehabbed the guardian building recently, and since then we've developed a really solid plan for structural improvements to catch up on deferred maintenance from previous regimes, and working out the schedule for that work in transparent community meetings. we're getting a new AC system right now [[though it's tough for it to be down this week!). the campus is close to full occupancy for the first time in decades, and there's been a young, mixed demographic constituency moving in want to see this place come back to hit its potential. on the cosmetic side, there's a newly formed committee working on the garden design to catch it up with other communities nearby like Chateaufort and Hyde Park. you can see some work being done on the Orleans St. side this week.

IMO its a solid time to buy in here – between the major projects in the vicinity and the improvements we're working through I think the bi level garden units and tower units alike stand to appreciate a lot in the next 10 years. you also won't find attached underground garage units that open into your unit in any other comparable condo building in town – some unique perks and big square footage make a legit bargain this close to downtown. the drawback is currently high HoA's but from my perspective they have been going to responsible use. lmk if you have any more questions

^ the bylaws read that there needs to be a 80% approval of owners in order to facilitate repairs,even if you bring in a new management company if you do not have that 80%,there is nothing they can do to force anybody to pay for improvements.

It also includes A/C as the individual owners responsibility per unit,it seems like the only thing the HOA is liable for is exterior windows and doors/frames.

It is strange that they went with Geothermal for just the lobby,they could have used a rooftop chiller with Geothermal and tapped into every unit,for what it cost to set up they were already half way there and heating and cooling would have been nominal per month per unit let alone minimal future maintenance issues.

Hopefully you guys are not wasting money on “gas” filled thermal windows.
    Last edited by Richard; June-17-22 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ the bylaws read that there needs to be a 80% approval of owners in order to facilitate repairs,even if you bring in a new management company if you do not have that 80%,there is nothing they can do to force anybody to pay for improvements.

It also includes A/C as the individual owners responsibility per unit,it seems like the only thing the HOA is liable for is exterior windows and doors/frames.

It is strange that they went with Geothermal for just the lobby,they could have used a rooftop chiller with Geothermal and tapped into every unit, for what it cost to set up they were already half way there and heating and cooling would have been nominal per month per unit let alone minimal future maintenance issues.

Hopefully you guys are not wasting money on “gas” filled thermal windows.
    thank u for explaining my own building's situation to me i definitely learned a lot this was very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    thank u for explaining my own building's situation to me i definitely learned a lot this was very helpful
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic but you posted

structural improvements to catch up on deferred maintenance from previous regimes,

The management company only acts on the owners wishes,if they need 80% approval it looks like the previous owners decided to forgo the maintenance which would have had little reflection in the actual regime,it’s the owners that have to stay diligent.

Operating under 35 year old by-laws that did not prove effective in the past,yes you should stick with your building situation because there is no guarantee that the investment you are making today will remain protected.
    Last edited by Richard; June-18-22 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    I was trying to reply to your DM, but i don't think the site was working right so i'll just post here. I still live here, still happy with my purchase here. The campus is not without ongoing improvement needs but the board is super committed and everything is moving in the right direction.

we brought on the property management company that rehabbed the guardian building recently, and since then we've developed a really solid plan for structural improvements to catch up on deferred maintenance from previous regimes, and working out the schedule for that work in transparent community meetings. we're getting a new AC system right now [[though it's tough for it to be down this week!). the campus is close to full occupancy for the first time in decades, and there's been a young, mixed demographic constituency moving in want to see this place come back to hit its potential. on the cosmetic side, there's a newly formed committee working on the garden design to catch it up with other communities nearby like Chateaufort and Hyde Park. you can see some work being done on the Orleans St. side this week.

IMO its a solid time to buy in here – between the major projects in the vicinity and the improvements we're working through I think the bi level garden units and tower units alike stand to appreciate a lot in the next 10 years. you also won't find attached underground garage units that open into your unit in any other comparable condo building in town – some unique perks and big square footage make a legit bargain this close to downtown. the drawback is currently high HoA's but from my perspective they have been going to responsible use. lmk if you have any more questions

Hello! Someone else linked me to this thread because I was curious about these condos as well, I hope you don't mind answering a question or two. Does the HoA cover property taxes and electric? Some listings on Redfin didn't suggest either of those were paid for by the HoA, only gas/maintenance/snow removal. Also, what's the community like? I know you suggested there seems to be a diverse mix of people, does that apply to age ranges as well? And are there any plans regarding landscaping to make it more climate resilient? e.g. more native plants rather than mostly monoculture lawn like I tend to see in a lot of the Lafayette Park area, perhaps solar panel installations, especially given that seems like it could save the community money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by taoistextremist View Post
    Hello! Someone else linked me to this thread because I was curious about these condos as well, I hope you don't mind answering a question or two. Does the HoA cover property taxes and electric? Some listings on Redfin didn't suggest either of those were paid for by the HoA, only gas/maintenance/snow removal. Also, what's the community like? I know you suggested there seems to be a diverse mix of people, does that apply to age ranges as well? And are there any plans regarding landscaping to make it more climate resilient? e.g. more native plants rather than mostly monoculture lawn like I tend to see in a lot of the Lafayette Park area, perhaps solar panel installations, especially given that seems like it could save the community money in the long run.
    lots of questions here but i'll try to answer what i can –

HoA covers everything but electricity, internet, and you still have to pay property tax and a very low condo unit insurance, though the association has its own insurance plan.

the community is mixed between old school detroiters with a lot of new millennial first-time buyers. there are 20-somethings and 80-somethings living side by side here. the board reflects these demographics well.

i'm personally working with a subcommittee on a larger landscaping plan for the whole campus along with several horticulturally-inclined neighbors, so expect that to start transforming tangibly during next growing cycle. were looking to the Oudolf garden and the Van Der Rohe gardens as inspo for a sustainable endemic garden going forward.

solar panels have unfortunately a ton of red tape – the community is in favor but there are obstacles, especially DTE's anti-solar lobbying for city ordinances that bar us from installing solar. I don't know exactly how it works but I know it's mostly beyond our political reach at the moment.

It's almost 2024 so it's time to reboot this thread! This community recently caught my eye and I'd love to talk with someone about the current state of the HoA, what top priorities are for the community, what big projects [[& implications for assessments) are coming down the line, how occupied is it, and a ballpark of what kind of financial resources are expected to be part of the community? I love how up front the community website is regarding the work ahead and I'd love to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by JerBehr View Post
    It's almost 2024 so it's time to reboot this thread! This community recently caught my eye and I'd love to talk with someone about the current state of the HoA, what top priorities are for the community, what big projects [[& implications for assessments) are coming down the line, how occupied is it, and a ballpark of what kind of financial resources are expected to be part of the community? I love how up front the community website is regarding the work ahead and I'd love to learn more.
    Hey there current Parc Lafayette residents! I'm also looking at a few listings here and curious to know if there are any planned assessments coming? The website says "The community is planning future large scale capital improvements to continue the property’s ongoing revitalization." which feels a bit ominous. I'm all for contributing to the betterment of the community and improving the infrastructure for longevity but would love to know what level of investment owners would be potentially on the hook for in the coming years.

Additionally, I'm finding many of the current listings have a history riddled with "for sale" then "pending" then "for sale" again. In some cases multiple times before a sale is executed. You may not know the answer to this, but do you think it's because of a misalignment with listing price and appraisal? Or what are these pending buyers discovering before backing out, time and time again..

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I use the live here for few years, always drafty in the windows and rain leaks in the window framing. Definitely need to be updated. Pool never worked, and poor management at the time when I live there. But definitely has it potential to be something great. I liked it.

I absolutely love living in Lafayette Park, been here for years , in a couple developments, great people, so convenient, ,dequindre cut, riverfront, parks, meijers, eastern market, small stripmall, we walk/ bike to everything, steps to everything downtown, our co op highrise view is incredible, but Parc Lafayette would be the last on my list to purchase. Im told by very long term residents [[ 50+ years), that ages ago it was absolutely beautiful, but was never maintained, structurally it looks like its sagging if you stand from the road, they have lots to do,,,,there are many other viable places to live here , but have to look at price point ofcourse,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2