Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In response to the email I received about an hour ago, I called the Fisher Theater Box office and was told the tix are NOT available now and they may not be availalble until next week. The operator was rather evasive in giving me a specific time they would be available. I asked if Mon. of next week thery could be picked up and she couldn't say yes or no.

I was planning on picking my tix up this afternoon [[Thurs.) but when I called the box office they said they usually don't have them until the week of the show [[next week). So it is probably a good idea to call first. If anyone finds out that they have the tix available at the box office please post here since the phone que of getting to talk to a human being took over 5 minutes...
    Last edited by fzappa2000; March-13-14 at 12:53 PM.

Sorry to say, but I am unable to attend all three shows at all, have other things in mind by then [[already).

De ar Lowell:
    Our profuse thanks to you and the "crazy generous" anonymous donor. Sumas and I opted for the early bird special on Thursday afternoon.

We were in the vicinity late this morning, Friday, March 14. We were able to pick up our tickets with no problem. Box office staff was most accommodating and arranged for an aisle seat so I will have a place to park my walker without barking anyone's ankles.

Anyone want to suggest a discrete signifier so that we may be able to identify DYesers in attendance?

That is good to hear ronaldj.

I spoke to our donor at the Fisher yesterday and he assured me that all requests we have passed along have been received. It just takes time for it all to filter through. We also have a 'fail safe' plan in place just in case anyone should be overlooked. If you signed up you will get in.

Just a reminder that if you are picking them up the day of the show, like I am, to get there at least a half hour before showtime. That will also give you some time to enjoy the spectacular Fisher theater lobby - worth the trip alone. IIRC there is a coffee shop there too.

I went down to the Fisher Box Office friday afternoon and was able to pick up my tix. Took a little while to find them since they are listed by your username, not your real name. Thanks to everybody involved in this generous offer.

In case anyone else missed the important part of post #18...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Use the name you used to make the request, your forum name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...get there at least a half hour before showtime. That will also give you some time to enjoy the spectacular Fisher theater lobby - worth the trip alone. IIRC there is a coffee shop there too.
    Wonderful idea....dessert and coffee at Stella International Cafe before the theatre!!!
    http://www.stellacafe.com/locations.html

Lowell: Please give our most sincere thanks to our benefactor and the Fisher Theatre box office staff as having to deal with our orders and the lists of names, etc. put an extra burden on them.
    Last edited by Kathleen; March-15-14 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Lowell: Please give our most sincere thanks to our benefactor and the Fisher Theatre box office staff as having to deal with our orders and the lists of names, etc. put an extra burden on them.
    Couldn't agree more with Kathleen's statement. Thank you for this very generous opportunity! I am looking forward to the show and wonderful company!

Thank for the kind remarks. The time for requesting free tickets has now expired.

Enjoy the show!

At the show with a lady on each side. Great event! Very much appreciated!!

Awesome show!!! It was an incredible two hours of fabulous dance and music and fun!!! Mom and my sisters and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again to Lowell and our anonymous benefactor!!!!!!
    Last edited by Kathleen; March-19-14 at 06:39 AM.

Such a fun night and an outstanding show!!! Thank you, again, for letting us partake in the experience and to be able to show an out of town guest a good time in the D!

Lowell, Many Thanx to you, DetroitYES!, and our generous benefactor, for a great evening out on the town. The show was excellent! My out of town peeps, and myself, were impressed with the performance, and the beautiful Fisher Building & Theatre.

Forgot to ask. I need handicap parking. Where and how much? Going to the 1pm, Thurs. afternoon show.

Thanks.
    Last edited by msamslex; March-20-14 at 12:32 AM.

Sat next to fzappa2000 and Mrs. fzappa2000... wonderful people. And of course Lowell sat a few rows in front of us....

I had seen Riverdance back in the 1990s... but was totally unprepared for how spectacular this show was by comparison.... A-mazing!!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-20-14 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    Forgot to ask. I need handicap parking. Where and how much? Going to the 1pm, Thurs. afternoon show.

Thanks.
    Fisher Theatre parking info indicates "Handicap parking is available in the parking structures and surface lots adjacent to the theatre. The entrances to both the Fisher Building and Fisher Theatre are barrier free."

We parked in a street lot on Lothrop, the street on the north side of the building, for $5. My 80-year-old mother had no real problem navigating to and from the theatre. I thought it was easier than using the parking structure.

I passed my tickets along to my Aunt and Uncle in Rosedale Park and my Uncle in Westland. They went Tuesday and enjoyed themselves. Thanks, Lowell!

OOOOO, that was FUN! Amazing talent! Thanks again!!

p.s. free parking is included in the Fisher parking lot.

Terrific show. High octane and amazing athleticism with a very talented musical ensemble. Nice to see fzappa and gistok.

Awesome Show! Free parking included too. grazie mille!

Thanks Lowell... good to see you too! The story behind this was taking original Irish dance and fusing it with Latin [[specifically Cuban) and African influences, a combo that one would not think was compatible, and making a spectacular show out of it.

Here's a preview of the highlights of the show...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZKHNdOx00

One other point I wanted to make, and this relates to another thread... some were saying how Detroit is no longer a major contender for theatrical performances... well this World Tour Premier show only appears to have 4 North American cities included, spending about a week in each one... Toronto, Chicago, Detroit and Boston....

Dear Lowell:Thanks again to you and our donor for the tickets to the show.Sumas and I had a great time. Had not been to the Fisher in a number of years and it was a great sort of "homecoming". Opted for valet as it was close and convenient and we were running a little late. Got their in plenty of time to be seated and to meet and chat with our guests. [[We ordered 4 tickets. Spread the wealth if you can.)Enjoyed the mash-up of Irish, Cuban, Afro American, Tango [[our friends, the Argentinians) and American street dance. The use of front projection for the backdrops sure are going to put a dent in the backdrop painters union, but... Only thing disconcerting was the projected choir. A little larger than life but effective. The lead singer was very competent and carried the show's storyline.Am looking up the website for the show and am glad to see that Gistok noticed Detroit was on of only 4 North American cities on the inaugural tour.The ushers at the theatre were very helpful. Sumas and I agreed to duck out at the finale to beat the rush to get the car. She retrieved my walker which was not mine. Traded out for the right one and got home before 4 PM.Cannot wait for next time but realize it is catch as catch can.All our best,Ronaldj and Sumas

The above post was broken into appropriate paragraphs. Sorry for the jammed, one paragraph post.

I had not been on main floor seating at the Fisher in over 20 years. And since our seats were all there, I got to study the place a little bit more, and saw a lot of telltale "mayhem" that gives up the secret that the 1960-61 reconstructed "new Fisher" was a shrink down version of the "Mayanesque old Fisher"...

After you pass from the outer doors of the Fisher, you get into the theatre lobby. This 2 story space with a grand staircase at one end was once larger... a 3 story space with not only the mezzanine, but then also the balcony level looking down on it. This lobby was shrunk down by inserting a floor level above the mezzanine, and having the balcony use this as circulation space.

When you pass thru the doors that separates the theatre lobby from the foyer space [[known in theatre jargon as the "holdout gates"... you pass into a very odd large space. The first part of this area you walk into has a flat floor, and this was the original Grand Foyer. But then suddenly the floor starts to slope downward in this space... and you have just entered what used to be the back of the original auditorium. The back 500 of the 1500 seats of the original auditorium are now with the much larger Grand Foyer space. When you look up you see a pair of mezzanine bridges [[catwalks) that take the mezzanine patrons from the mezzanine foyer to the mezzanine seats. These open catwalks were once part of a larger mezzanine seating level, which was carved out so that it becomes a lofty space above the main floor foyer.

The 2nd set of doors that main floor patrons encounter were [[in 1961) moved 1/3 of the way into the larger former auditorium.

So although both the 3000 seat old Fisher and 2089 seat new Fisher have the same seating spots in the front of the main floor, mezzanine and balcony levels... the farther reaches of each level was eliminated and incorporated into foyer space [[for the main floor and mezzanine), or walled off [[for the balcony).

A very unique way to handle the 1961 downsizing of the theatre...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast