Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Well, yeah, the overall Chicagoland metro area has been growing. Slow-growth, but pretty consistent growth.

The current estimates actually show Metro Detroit growing faster than Metro Chicago, but these annual estimates are not to be trusted. I would wait until the 2020 Census to get something approaching accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982
    If you don't like things like "facts", then fine. Feel free to ignore posts dealing in reality. Ignore the Census, and other reputable sources, and cling to whatever worldview you prefer.
    You have a source for 2013??

Census 2010 and Census estimate July 2012 MSA
    9,461,105 - 9,522,434 = +61,329 Chicago
    4,296,250 - 4,292,060 = -4190 Detroit

Census 2010 and Census estimate July 2012 CSA
    9,840,929 - 9,899,902 = +58,973 Chicago
    5,318,744 - 5,311,449 = -7295 Detroit

https://www.census.gov/popest/data/metro/totals/2012/

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post
    You have a source for 2013??
    I was talking about the year-over-year estimates. You are aggregating all the estimates since the last Census.

In any case, as I wrote, the year-over-year estimates are not to be trusted. Aggregating a bunch of incorrect estimates isn't going to get you a more accurate number.

For 2013, all I see online are statewide numbers. These show MI with slightly higher growth than IL, but they don't break it down to county level, so I don't know the estimate by MSA/CSA for 2013 [[if you have the county estimates, you can aggregate to metro area).

The fighting here is pathetic... Who is better, Detroit or Chicago? Fact is both have major issues [[perceived or real) or they would not be ranked #1 and #2!

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    This list is typical of what we have been seeing for the last 20 years.. I always think Im just odd but my favorite cities to live and visit have always been the older, often rust bucket cities.. Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago,, Cities like LA, San Fran, NYC, Miami I feel are great fun to visit but Im always happy to come home, I like old culture, old buildings, old museums, long traditionalized sports teams , being on water and always appreciate the affordability of living here. We have our problems but I live a very well rounded lifestyle. lots of fun places to go, real nice people, and get tons of bang for the buck living accomodation wise..I also know a few friends who think exactly the same way. I guess water seeks its own level, but I just have no interest in putting myself in a crazy, expensive, environment where daily life is a struggle just to survive financially, and inturn frustrate myself because I couldnt afford to do many of the things I can here.. Our state with its tons of lakes, hiking, skiing within reasonalbe drives and the culture of the city here makes me quite content. I also enjoy the four seasons, and even enjoy winter, [[ well Im getting a little tired of it now), they each bring a new pyschological well being as each change occurs.
    I agree and being on the Great Lakes, we're only hours away or less than a days drive from Toronto, Chicago, New York, Philly, or Atlanta. Not a bad region to live in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I agree and being on the Great Lakes, we're only hours away or less than a days drive from Toronto, Chicago, New York, Philly, or Atlanta. Not a bad region to live in at all.
    11 hours to Atlanta - technically less than a day's drive, one helluva day, though.

Kinda sucks when one of the selling points of your city is its proximity to better cities.

Wow, look at that site. Obviously they put a lot of time, energy and research into that pile of click-bait. Our days may verily be numbered ...

That is funny. That's what I always thought when I worked in San Francisco and lived in Burlingame. Going home in the evening, the first suburb we'd pass was Daly City with it's "Gateway to the Peninsula" sign and I'd always think who wants to define their town in terms of someplace else? Even Daly City could have called itself "Fog City" [[which it was!) or "Largest Filipino City in the US" [[which it was!).

To iheartthed: That is funny. That's what I always thought when I worked in San Francisco and lived in Burlingame. Going home in the evening, the first suburb we'd pass was Daly City with it's "Gateway to the Peninsula" sign and I'd always think who wants to define their town in terms of someplace else? Even Daly City could have called itself "Fog City" [[which it was!) or "Largest Filipino City in the US" [[which it was!).

Hah. My long distance 'driving' days are over, if they ever started. If I go to the ATL I step aboard the thing with two wings. 2.5 hours, even with a stop over to Charlotte, NC...

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    11 hours to Atlanta - technically less than a day's drive, one helluva day, though.

If you ask me, I think someone from the South wrote this "piece" because there is not a SINGLE southern city on this list.....

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Chicago's population shrank by 200,000 according to the 2010 census, so a lot of people are moving from there too.

But it gained over 200,000 in 2012 to 2.7 million people. This is due to more young professionals moving in.

^ On that note, I'm a bit more concerned about Chicago's tax revenue. Much of the folks moving in are paying higher taxes and if that's what is offsetting a low income population leaving, the city continues to deliver services and make improvements. That doesn't mean people leaving the city is good, regardless of income. But chicago's story is a bit different from other cities where losses of population were the middle and upper class. Diminished tax base caused major problems for cities that went too far into decline. While Chicago may have pension problems, everything is well funded. A strong and growing police and fire department, new parks and renovated facilities. Billions of dollars invested in new civic facilities and infrastrure. This all comes from a stable tax base. So a loss of 200,000 residents is bad, the real question is its impact overall on the city.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2