Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I see it the same way. Hopefully the newly elected City Council will work towards achieving the same goals to benefit the City. There ARE some good people on board, as well as the business as usual group. I missed the speech. If someone could post a link I'd appreciate it. I didn't have any luck finding one.

^^^ Here you go HT. Recap with video of speech embedded:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ayor_mike.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Zacha is always on top of things. Thanks for the link, I missed the speech as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Hey Thanx Z........

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hey Danny, You sure about this?
    That's what he said [[ without the word "black and bighted"). It won't be overnight or the next day. But later in his term.

Unlike KING KWAME when he deliver his last State of City address. He implied the 'N' word for he was put down by biased media and political blame.

Duggan's address show no signs of negative offensive languages. He speaks what's out of his heart for the need of Detroiters not for personal gain.

What a breath of fresh air to not have all "The Man is out ta get me" rhetoric from the Kwame years.

One of the things I find telling about this mayor is that we haven't heard from the anti-Duggan crowd on this board in a while

I watched that public lighting meeting with Duggan last week and I was so impressed that he laid out actual numbers and explained why his plan was better than the original. So refreshing and it made perfect sense. He also gave actual details of the plan, including what to do if residents want to maintain their alley lights and if you want custom light poles in your neighborhood. He even gave the prices. So far, so good. If he can pull a majority of his plans off, he could probably be mayor for as many terms as he wants, BUT I think he'll eventually run for governor. I am curious how things would go if Detroit wasn't bankrupt. I think he'd still be able to pull some of these plans off, but it would be much slower and more difficult.

Lowell.
    "Wouldn't it be interesting if Lansing handed him the EFM reigns in September or earlier. It would give him powers beyond his mayoral powers and put him in position to do some big moves"
    What a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...I missed the speech. If someone could post a link I'd appreciate it. I didn't have any luck finding one.
    There's a YouTube channel that has most of the mayor's major speeches on it, including the 2014 State of the City Address.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mydetroitcable

Watched the speech. It was very good, upbeat, and positive. If everyone involved stays onboard, and works hard, they, [[the City government) and he [[Mike Duggan) might be able to pull his ideas off and turn this runaway train around.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    gotta get out there and shout that crime is down [[because of the weather) before the gangbangers' guns thaw out and they start shooting each other again.

if the gangs pop a tire in a pothole, they usually dont finish the journey on foot. potholes deter crime! brilliant!

there is quite a lot of data showing that weather doesnt matter. Detroit had one of highest crime winters during the last worst winter we had

I was glad to hear the mayor understands that the cavalry isn't coming from Lansing on insurance. He'd probably have to do any insurance through a private business for it to work because unfortunately any Detroit insurance idea is probably going to have to be accepted by Lansing. Hell I'd be happy just to get the scrap metal legislation to pass, but that hasn't been able get through so far either. Same goes for the state collecting income tax for its taxing cities... you'd think they'd be happy to do it since they took so much money from its municipalities for their nice little surplus. At this point I hope he considers scrapping the income tax... it's going to be hard for Detroit to compete with that extra 2.4% coming out of people's income and it's already tough as hell to collect it anyway.

Well, figuring out exactly which will be the most efficient way to attack the scrapping issue may be tricky, but if the will is there, the way will be found.

It's obvious enough, that the method[[s) will involve the buyers, not the scrappers. There aren't that many yards around here, and it's quite apparent that somebody has been plenty willing to buy whatever is rolled up.
    Although... I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a two-step process is involved, that certain scrap is being hauled out-of-state by someone buying it here.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Well, figuring out exactly which will be the most efficient way to attack the scrapping issue may be tricky, but if the will is there, the way will be found.

It's obvious enough, that the method[[s) will involve the buyers, not the scrappers. There aren't that many yards around here, and it's quite apparent that somebody has been plenty willing to buy whatever is rolled up.
    Although... I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a two-step process is involved, that certain scrap is being hauled out-of-state by someone buying it here.
    With only 17 scrapyard, you would think that you might assigning a police detail to each might be possible. Of course you can't stop & frisk them -- but if you start collecting license plate #s, or lack thereof, you might start being able to look out for vehicles to find where crimes are being committed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2