Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

For what it's worth, I don't begrudge Shinola at all. I'm glad they're here and doing what they're doing.

That doesn't change the reality of their product.

I'd personally be more impressed if they were selling "high-quality" watches with components made in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't begrudge Shinola at all. I'm glad they're here and doing what they're doing.

That doesn't change the reality of their product.

I'd personally be more impressed if they were selling "high-quality" watches with components made in Detroit.
    Are there even "high-quality" watch components made in Detroit? You can't utilize a supply that doesn't exist. Fact is, a large amount of watch part manufacturers are located in Switzerland, especially some of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Are there even "high-quality" watch components made in Detroit? You can't utilize a supply that doesn't exist. Fact is, a large amount of watch part manufacturers are located in Switzerland, especially some of the best.
    Could you explain the "Assembled In China" stickers I see on stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think you just made my point.

So there is manufacturing of input, and then manufacturing of finished product. The latter happens in Detroit. That's pretty cool. And then they recruit talent in other cities like NY and send those people to Detroit. That's pretty cool too. Isn't this the sort of thing everyone's been wanting for decades? Send talent to Detroit, pre-1950 style wooooo!

And these street clocks-- super cool. Marketing can be nice for the community, too.

Shinola and city officials gathered outside Cobo Center to unveil the first clock, a 13-foot-tall, pole-mounted timekeeper that is an homage to the city’s Kern’s Clock on Woodward Avenue. The other three clocks, which also went up Friday, are at Eastern Market’s Shed 3, in Midtown at a future dog park at Cass and West Canfield, and at Shinola’s headquarters at the College for Creative Studies.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2vISqT7xE
    ...and they are up. That was pretty fast from announcement to installation.

over/under on how long they remain in working order?

I think they look very nice. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I think they look very nice. Good work.
    I agree. Nice clock and I'd add a nice mounting of it.

Can someone post a nighttime photo of one?

Well it took all of 24 hours before someone tagged the Midtown clock. How long til someone hooks up a chain to one and rips it out of the ground to sell for $20 of scrap metal?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Well it took all of 24 hours before someone tagged the Midtown clock. How long til someone hooks up a chain to one and rips it out of the ground to sell for $20 of scrap metal?
    Serves them right for doing something like this. Detroit is for real detroiters. Hipsters go home.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Serves them right for doing something like this. Detroit is for real detroiters. Hipsters go home.
    You really think that hipsters aren't graffitting [[if that is a word)? You should get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    You really think that hipsters aren't graffitting [[if that is a word)? You should get out more.
    sarcasm fail.... sorry.. should have put /sarc at the end.

per Motorcitymuckraker [[take that for what it's worth).... one of the offenders is a Miami transplant [[or at least the 'tag" is)

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Amen to that!

And with all the grief on this thread, the biggest mystery is why Shinola would want to put up those 4 clocks in Detroit to begin with??

Oh I know.... they can scrap that idea, put them up in my burb of SCS... where there will be volunteers to maintain and plant flowers around them.

Then the posters here can complain instead... why Detroit was overlooked as a site for them...
    Then it would be a waste of money because no one would give a rats ass if they put them there. Praise or complain, this gimmick has produced quite a bit of publicity for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    sarcasm fail.... sorry.. should have put /sarc at the end.

per Motorcitymuckraker [[take that for what it's worth).... one of the offenders is a Miami transplant [[or at least the 'tag" is)
    My sarcasm meter takes Monday morning off. The sarcasm was pretty thick and I should have gotten it

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    This was certainly done by city folks. I would put 2 grand on the fact it wasn't "midtown hipsters" or the "suburban boogie man"that did this. In fact I was at a club Saturday night and there were people dissing the clocks and wanted to know if there was copper inside and what would the parts value be. This was not a "hipster" crowd by any means. Detroits hoodrats are not to be trusted, they far outnumber the hipsters that everyone is deathly afraid of.

Those clocks, unless secured and watched, will be vandalized again really really really soon, or they will be heavily damaged. The city folks have a keen on on them. I'm sure the group I overheard was not the only group in town with sights on those spots.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    This was certainly done by city folks. I would put 2 grand on the fact it wasn't "midtown hipsters" or the "suburban boogie man"that did this.
    So, you're saying that midtown hipsters are not city folks? What, do they carry a different passport?

There needs to be public whipping of these taggers, shows at 12:00 Noon every Saturday, Campus Martius.

This was certainly done by city folks. I would put 2 grand on the fact it wasn't "midtown hipsters" or the "suburban boogie man"that did this.

Actually taggers and scrappers are two different demographics. You seem to be conflating the two. This may very well be someone from the burbs or a young white skateboard type. Detroit "hoodrats" really arent into graffiti unless its gang related. If the clock was scrapped then I would agree with your assessment.

They repainted the tagged one on cass and canfield. I was walking to the gas station and I seen it. I can see it from my apartment in the auburn.

Sounds like you hang out with some real losers. I have to bet the remainder of the conversations were highly intellectual and intriguing.
    This was certainly done by city folks. I would put 2 grand on the fact it wasn't "midtown hipsters" or the "suburban boogie man"that did this. In fact I was at a club Saturday night and there were people dissing the clocks and wanted to know if there was copper inside and what would the parts value be. This was not a "hipster" crowd by any means. Detroits hoodrats are not to be trusted, they far outnumber the hipsters that everyone is deathly afraid of.

Those clocks, unless secured and watched, will be vandalized again really really really soon, or they will be heavily damaged. The city folks have a keen on on them. I'm sure the group I overheard was not the only group in town with sights on those spots.

That is all.
    Last edited by rjlj; March-10-14 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Then it would be a waste of money because no one would give a rats ass if they put them there. Praise or complain, this gimmick has produced quite a bit of publicity for them.
    And it would seem... some vandalism already....

That is all.
    I certainly wouldn't rule out people from outside of Detroit. Some of the worst vandals are from the burbs.

I'm all about blaming Detroit for its own woes, but this might not be a self-inflicted wound.

Heck, some might be motivated solely by the Detroit-bashing that would result by vandalizing the clock.

This is pretty much why Potholebama needs to die.
    1) We get something nice, something that would look relatively commonplace in a real city, and it immediately gets destroyed.
    2) It immediately turns into black vs. white over who did it. It isn't city vs. suburb, let's be honest. The suburbs have a large black minority now and the greater downtown area has a large white minority. We all know who each other is talking about now. City vs. suburb back in the day used to just be a euphamism for black vs. white.

It's all set and I'm leaving by the end of this year. Metro Detroit, you have no one but yourself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This is pretty much why Potholebama needs to die.
    1) We get something nice, something that would look relatively commonplace in a real city, and it immediately gets destroyed.
    2) It immediately turns into black vs. white over who did it. It isn't city vs. suburb, let's be honest. The suburbs have a large black minority now and the greater downtown area has a large white minority. We all know who each other is talking about now. City vs. suburb back in the day used to just be a euphamism for black vs. white.

It's all set and I'm leaving by the end of this year. Metro Detroit, you have no one but yourself to blame.
    My question is: What are YOU talking about?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast