Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    My Courville container was skipped today. It was the third in a row in front of my house.
    I think the trash truck driver is the same one as before privatization. The Garbage Chalet
    at the Southfield Yard was not there the last time I checked.
    Today on another forum someone was still advocating for creating dense neighborhoods
    in Detroit through buying owners out of the least dense neighborhoods. Here's another
    reality check for that idea.
    My neighborhood has a certain element that buys and sells drugs there and sometimes steals
    items to support that habit. This morning I followed [[at a distance, in my house slippers) a person hauling what seemed to be an empty Courville container down my street and alerted a next door neighbor to the house where the container ended up. Later I alerted a neighborhood watch person. The Detroit neighborhoods have had "little islands of stability" and density and
    within these islands neighbors tend to look out for one another and repel the drug crowd from
    their island. It would be of benefit if the persons picking up the trash were to pick up all of it without regard to how close the containers are to each other.
    I hear you. Mostly area residents park on the west side of the street [[why I do not know) and the courvilles are placed on on the eastside. Pick ups seem rather random.
    Last edited by sumas; November-26-14 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    pick up from Rizzo seems ok. One of their drivers doesn't seem to understand that Vernor is one way here....
    Curious. Are they using one of those trucks that pick up containers with a hydraulic claw?

We have privatized service in Rochester Hills through Republic Services. The cost is pretty low. They offer bulk pick-up, but you have to call ahead of time and you only get one bulk pickup a month. They missed a recycling pickup this month, but one phone call to Republic Services the next day and it was taken care of.

Privatization makes so much sense. Why does every city need to figure out this garbage pickup thing? Let a few companies that specialize in it do it. Let them compete against each other.

Also, no more pensions for extremely unskilled and very replaceable labor. Not that sanitation workers don't work hard, but the available labor pool is very large.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Also, no more pensions for extremely unskilled and very replaceable labor. Not that sanitation workers don't work hard, but the available labor pool is very large.
    Because hard working blue collar employees can just live a retirement in poverty, while the well to do in Rochester Hills feel superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Curious. Are they using one of those trucks that pick up containers with a hydraulic claw?
    Yes they have the hydraulic claw for courvilles. Big trash seems to be more labor intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Because hard working blue collar employees can just live a retirement in poverty, while the well to do in Rochester Hills feel superior.
    Thank you, thank you and thank you. Mostly I am the person that makes those comments. Now I see I have been called a troll on line. Detroit, the big three afforded us our education. I grew up solid middle class and now all I see is neighbors struggle. Good decent people but apparently If of Detroit they must be unskilled, useless dregs on society. It hurts my heart.

Did call Rizzo today. close to a month of un hauled "big" trash pick up. The rep was helpful and cheery. Did find out I can now order my recycle bin but it will maybe be a month before we get it. They apparently just dump it in front. No call for delivery. Every neighbor knows to look out for it. Every neighbor is welcome to recycle using our bin. Maybe I'll get a second one. My Detroit is just so different from comments I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    pick up from Rizzo seems ok. One of their drivers doesn't seem to understand that Vernor is one way here....
    Yes they have the hydraulic claw for courvilles....
    So then could that be why they were driving the wrong way on a one-way street? I'm just wondering if they get a pass because of the geometry of the situation.

Perhaps but it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out logistics. Had a mail person once that parked on Vernor, wrong way. Watched that mail truck get slammed, I don't live on Vernor but urban Prairie ,mowed by committed area residents make for distance views,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2