Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Gistok, Pre-Broadway certainly can come to Detroit. But it hasn't come for years. What was the last big broadway to mount in Detroit? 'Big', the 1996 [[18 years ago) flop based on Tom Hanks 80s movie?

From Nederlander's BroadwayInChicago website; Chicago is best known for attracting pre-Broadway productions, highlights of those include THE PRODUCERS, SPAMALOT, MOVIN’ OUT, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, KINKY BOOTS and BIG FISH, as well as long-run engagements including WICKED, Disney’s THE LION KING, and BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL to name a few.

Big difference. We're not in that league. When was Detroit's last multi-month sit-down?
    Sorry but when you talk "league"... Detroit is much closer to Chicago than Chicago is to NYC... which is "leagues" ahead of both.

Chicago has had a lot of the Nederlander productions, that is true. But when it comes the theatres both the Ford and Cadillac are the size of the Fisher, and only half the seating of the Masonic. So when you mention that something has played there for 3 months... that's the equivalent to about the same as 6 weeks at the Masonic. But Detroit has NEVER played multi-month engagements in all the history of theatre. Even going back to 1961, the shows would only play here for 4 or 5 weeks. Detroit is not like NYC or London. And neither is Chicago.

There's no denying that Chicago has had a lot of pre-Broadway shows as of late. But Chicago suffers from a lack of big theatres. We have the Masonic and Fox... and in Chicago really large shows such as Radio City Christmas show go to the suburbs of Chicago [[4,400 seat Rosemont Theatre), because downtown Chicago doesn't have the capacity to handle it.

And then there's the Fox... it's the most successful theatre in the country. Repeatedly it garners over 2 million patrons a year... even more than larger Radio City Music Hall.

Chicago is a larger metro area, and will have a larger population base from which to serve... including far more visitors. But to say that we don't have theatres in the same league as their theatres is just misleading. As it would be if I said they have no theatre that's in the same league as the Detroit Fox. Great to say... but so what??
    Last edited by Gistok; February-18-14 at 09:47 PM.

I think it's a matter of perception. Having worked in theatre for a number of years I find it odd that people find one city or venue to be superior to another. It's the performance, the evening it happens, to be what creates a great work of art.
    It really has nothing to do with a particular city or venue, but with the quality of the acting company on any particular evening. Just my opinion. I've been wrong once before.

I agree old guy... I've had some great and lousy experiences at virtually all Detroit theatres... even my favorite... the Fox... the worst show I've ever seen was at the Fox when Keith Richards played there, and we were under the balcony overhang... worst sound ever!! But I have had many wonderful performances there.

I usually am always disappointed with the Fisher however... I saw Les Miserables there... and the sound in the balcony was bad... couldn't understand very much... good thing I saw it before elsewhere.

One of the best places to see a performance is the front of the balcony at the Detroit Opera House. Because the Capitol Theatre was built as a vaudeville house in 1922, the distance from the front of the balcony to the stage is surprisingly short. And therefore you maintain the intimacy, and above all the sound. Of course the most expensive seats at the DOH happen to be [[after the mezzanine boxes) the Diamond Circle at the front of the balcony.

Few theatres in the country command as much fan appreciation as does the Fox though... one young female attendee from western Michigan had this to say... my favorite review...

"You just may have an architecturally-induced orgasm here. The foreplay starts as soon as you walk past the front doors into the foyer. Lots of build up is to be had in the lobby, then expect to be in the full throes of ornate pleasure when hit your seat. The Fox Theatre is smokin' HOT. I think my favorite part was the giant gilded elephant head with the crown on it above the stage. The most incredible detail can be found in the smallest of places too. Bring some cigarettes, because you're gonna need them for when you leave. "

I only wish I could visit more venues in more cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree old guy... I've had some great and lousy experiences at virtually all Detroit theatres... even my favorite... the Fox... the worst show I've ever seen was at the Fox when Keith Richards played there, and we were under the balcony overhang... worst sound ever!! But I have had many wonderful performances there.
    Dude that location is a bass trap! You never sit there! Maybe for 'My Fair Lady'; but for a rock show? No way.

One of the best places to see a performance is the front of the balcony at the Detroit Opera House.
    It's a whole different scale, but let's not forget the Gem for a intimate experience, especially at the front of the balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Dude that location is a bass trap! You never sit there! Maybe for 'My Fair Lady'; but for a rock show? No way.
    Yes, tell me about it!! I didn't buy the tickets... but I won't make that mistake again. Best sound in the house for most theatres are in the front of the balcony... worst sounds... underneath the mezzanine overhang [[worst than under just the balcony!

Yes, tell me about it!! I didn't buy the tickets... but I won't make that mistake again. Best sound in the house for most theatres are in the front of the balcony... worst sounds... underneath the mezzanine overhang [[worst than under just the balcony!
    For lightly amplified events, I think that's true. But for rock shows, you usually get the best sound by being close to the mixing console.

Too often, we blame the theatre. Usually the blame should be placed on the act and their touring sound company/engineers. The worst sound I ever heard for a concert was kd lang at Orchestra Hall. Best artist. Best sounding venue. But something with the audio system wasn't right. Do I blame Orchestra Hall? No. It wasn't their gear. kd? No, she sang fine. It was the PA for the area where I sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    For lightly amplified events, I think that's true. But for rock shows, you usually get the best sound by being close to the mixing console.

Too often, we blame the theatre. Usually the blame should be placed on the act and their touring sound company/engineers. The worst sound I ever heard for a concert was kd lang at Orchestra Hall. Best artist. Best sounding venue. But something with the audio system wasn't right. Do I blame Orchestra Hall? No. It wasn't their gear. kd? No, she sang fine. It was the PA for the area where I sat.
    I have to agree with you 100% Sounds like the sound technicians did do their homework. Other times they don't test their sound system in all parts of the hall. The hall is rarely to blame.

One of the most astonishing things about the Detroit Opera House and its superb acoustics [[and I tested this) is that in a quiet auditorium, you can be in the last row of the balcony, and hold a normal voice conversation with someone on stage. The huge geometric sounding board above the stage really throws the sound out into the auditorium.

Westley--right-O! For rock shows the hall's natural acoustics are an afterthought. The sound is being force-fed into the room, like air into a tire, so the man at the console [[which always takes up an inordinate amount of prime seats) has the make it right or it isn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2