Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Detroit Tough

Default Detroit Tough

How cool is this? An offbeat workout gym in the 2000 Brooklyn Building in Corktown. What an interesting angle and concept playing off the now-so-chic Detroit industrial grittiness mystique. Moving real objects instead of contrived machines makes for more interesting workout.

Detroit vibe

The theme is decidedly Motor City with battered car parts and hubcaps decorating the walls. A rusty cigarette machine now dispenses protein bars.

Dyjak, though he lives in St. Clair Shores, is rabid in his passion for Detroit. “If I was going to come back and open a facility, it had to be in the city I love more than any other city,” he said.

Dyjak has recruited five other coaches — he prefers this to “trainers” — to teach classes from yoga and Pilates to weight training and belly dancing. He will continue to facilitate Train Like a Savage, but now instead of taking devotees out in the woods to train he’ll lead his troops through the city, using the environment as a gym.

Obviously, Detroit Tough is not your traditional health club. But looks and equipment aside, it’s extremely different in philosophy. “It’s not about you” is painted over the barbell rack. “It’s about the team,” said Dyjak. To that end, chalkboards on the walls are filled with scrawled workout goals of individual trainees, where everyone can see one another’s aspirations.

Healthy bodies, healthy city?

“In the fitness industry too many people are wearing headphones and watching TV and they’re not engaged, they’re not having dialogue. They go there for 30 minutes and then they leave,” he said.

“What I care about is making a better community. What I care about is making a better Detroit.” So the club will organize regular volunteer days in the city. Dyjak wants each Detroit Tough member to volunteer two hours a month.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2tWT0fLuX

Best of luck to Roger.

Its an interesting re-use of industrial materials as well. But my personal concern would be about how much am I tackling [[effort/weight-wise). Maybe to a 20 or 30 something that wouldn't be as much of a concern.