Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thats nothing, I have seen the Ren Cen and I was not even in the United States!

This thread has just now got me wondering if it's possible to see at least part of Detroit [[let alone the RenCen) from the One Seagate building in Toledo [[that city's tallest building).

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    This thread has just now got me wondering if it's possible to see at least part of Detroit [[let alone the RenCen) from the One Seagate building in Toledo [[that city's tallest building).
    What is it, 4 stories???? That IS an intriguing question. Maybe the first DetroitYES science experiment?

Also for quick second, on a clear day as well, going southbound Crooks Rd. over the I-75 overpass in Troy.

A big hill in Stoney Creek Park north of 26 Mile Road, nicknamed "Mt. Everest", offers a view of the full skyline of downtown, as well as Southfield and other of the seven hills of Detroit.

I worked on the 19th floor of a high rise downtown for several years. We could see the Silverdome from there. Therefore it is not a stretch to see the ren cen from many places in metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What is it, 4 stories????
    Nope, it's 32 stories and 411 feet tall, 316 feet shorter than the RenCen's central tower.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Nope, it's 32 stories and 411 feet tall, 316 feet shorter than the RenCen's central tower.
    I looked it up on that Google thing someone pointed out to me. It was my attempt @ humor, therefore the little face. I am serious, though, about it being a great science experiment. All aspects of weather would have to cooperate. No smog, fog, or rain clouds between One Seagate Building and the RenCen.

Line of sight from each to the horizon overlaps, therefore you should be able to see one from the other:

Name:  los.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  54.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Line of sight from each to the horizon overlaps, therefore you should be able to see one from the other:

Name:  los.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  54.7 KB
    Cool, so it's doable. It would be neat I someone had some kind of sighting device, monocular, binoculars, that you could attach a camera to and take a photo. Is there an observation deck or something on either one?

There's a photo I came across long ago showing the rencen as a faded dot on the horizon taken with a zoom lens from a high floor of plaza tower in Ann Arbor.

Easily:

Name:  PT.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  42.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I heard this too and I was in the tower on Put-In-Bay on a fairly clear day and could not see it. The main activity on Put-In-Bay is drinking and I was obliged to partake in this, so my vision may have been impaired.
    The top of the Perry Monument is 352', but I'm not sure how high the observation deck is. The RenCen should be visible from the top unless there is some higher ground in Ontario blocking the view:

Name:  Perry.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  54.1 KB

Sarah Palin, famous half term Alaska governor can see Russia from her house so maybe she can see the Ren Cen too

Well the Ren Cen is the tallest building in Michigan [[center tower @ 73 floors - 727 ft)

See link below that ranks tallest in the state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Michigan
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-14 at 07:53 AM.

A bit off topic, but as for seeing things from long distance. When Norfolk and Southern was running steam engine excursions a few years ago, some yard crew guys at the Melvindale yard told me the steam engine headlight was so bright they could see it at Melvindale yard from Milan, Michigan.

I grew up in Farmington Hills. There is condo complex/subdivison called Chestnut Ridge at 12 Mile and Halstead that has a commons area up on a hill with a large cement deck/patio. In high school, we used to go there at night to drink beer and hang out with girls. It was a great spot because it was secluded, and on clear nights we could easily see the RenCen and the Ambassador Bridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2