Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Possible to see Ren Cen from Farmington Hills?

When going south on Northwestern Hwy right past Middlebelt, there is a silhouette on the distant downhill horizon that looks like the Renaissance Center. The road is certainly pointed that way, but it doesn't seem possible. I'm attaching a street-view link [[takes a few moments to load) just so you can see where I'm talking about, can't see it in this pic. Has anyone else noticed this or know if it is in fact the Ren Cen in the distance?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=north...135.98,,0,8.24

Quote Originally Posted by narnarnar View Post
    When going south on Northwestern Hwy right past Middlebelt, there is a silhouette on the distant downhill horizon that looks like the Renaissance Center. The road is certainly pointed that way, but it doesn't seem possible. I'm attaching a street-view link [[takes a few moments to load) just so you can see where I'm talking about, can't see it in this pic. Has anyone else noticed this or know if it is in fact the Ren Cen in the distance?

I used to work near Northwestern Highway and Middlebelt.

To answer your question, yes you can see the Renaissance Center from that intersection.

I'm on top of it right now, waving my arms. Can you see me?

I remember driving downtown as a kid and whoever saw RenCen first got a dime. I doubt kids care about dimes today.

If you have a open line of sight and it's a clear day it shouldn't be a problem. You can see the RenCen pretty clearly from Harsen's Island at the North end of Lake St. Clair and that's a distance of around 20 miles.

I've seen the RenCen before from BASF Park in Wyandotte [[although Wyandotte is actually closer to downtown Detroit than Farmington Hills is to downtown). Plus, I remember a post on the old forum that mentioned that the RenCen was visible from the Battle of Lake Erie monument in Put-in-Bay, Ohio [[a distance of about 65 miles!).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm on top of it right now, waving my arms. Can you see me?

I remember driving downtown as a kid and whoever saw RenCen first got a dime. I doubt kids care about dimes today.
    Oh, come on. Kids stopped giving a damn about dimes long before the Ren Cen went up. It isn't like the damned thing has been there since 1965.

Not sure about Northwestern [[although I certainly believe it), but you can definitely see the Ren Cen, Penobscot, and One Detroit Center from Grand River and 8 Mile, the north side of which is Farmington Hills.

GUSHI Guest

I have seen the RenCen from 28 and mound on a clear day.

The Renaissance Center is also visible from Mound Rd. out in Warren and Sterling heights.

The Penobscot Building is in the central line of sight for the Penobscot Building on Gratiot for some ways into Macomb County on a clear day... and ditto for all of downtown from Ford Rd. in Dearborn and beyond.

All of downtown and New Center is visible from the entry way hill at Stony Creek @ 26 Mile Rd.

Oh, and obviously on Woodward you can see One Detroit Center and sometimes other buildings from 696, although not really from any farther out.

I remember riding my bike on M-14 in the spring of 79, before it opened, and seeing the Ren Cen clearly from somewhere around Sheldon Road. My thought at the time was that was proof how flat [[or sloped) it is between Plymouth and the river.

I've seen the Ren Cen from a hilltop at Ford's proving grounds up by 36 mile near Romeo.

You are correct. Northwestern right before 13 Mile, is a slight hill going south, and on a clear day you can see the main tower peering over the trees.

You can see the Ren Cen from Grand River and 7 Mile Rd.

You can see the Ren Cen from from Ford Rd. and Wayne Rd.

You can see the Ren Cen from Southfield FWY and I-96.

You can see the Ren Cen from Gratiot Ave. 14 Mile Rd.

You can see the Ren Cen from Woodward Ave. 8 Mile Rd.

You can see the Ren Cen from Mound Rd. and 14 Mile Rd.

Any Direction from all directions in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties The Ren Cen is the beacon to Downtown Detroit.

I've seen the Ren Cen from Canada.

You'd almost think that since it appears to be at the end of every radial road, it was sited like that intentionally.

HB

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Oh, come on. Kids stopped giving a damn about dimes long before the Ren Cen went up. It isn't like the damned thing has been there since 1965.
    Call me cheap, I still gladly accept dimes. They add up quick!

On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors: John Z. DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've seen the Ren Cen from Canada.
    Best response possible. But did you walk across the river to get there?

X2 haha!

I too think it's cool to see at such great distances. Cresting the Rouge on 75 [[while not that far away) is always a cool view.

If you do, be sure to look both ways for ice breakers before you cross.......
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-16-14 at 09:18 AM.

Distance to the horizon from the top of the RenCen should be 33 miles. Here's the area that covers:

Name:  RenCen.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  61.8 KB

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display...86146-map.html

However, that assumes the earth is flat and you are standing at the same elevation as the base of the RenCen. If you are on higher ground, like to the north or northwest you could see it from farther away. If there is higher ground between you and it, that may block your view. Also, to recognize the building, you would probably need to see the top one hundred feet of it, so you might have to be within 30 miles of it.

Profile view of the terrain elevation along Grand River out to Wixom. Elevation peaks just beyond Haggerty Rd:

Name:  West.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  19.1 KB
    Last edited by MikeM; February-16-14 at 12:39 PM.

Driving on East River Road on Grosse Isle offers a really nice view of the Ren Cen looking up river. Nice drive around the island, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I've seen the RenCen before from BASF Park in Wyandotte [[although Wyandotte is actually closer to downtown Detroit than Farmington Hills is to downtown). Plus, I remember a post on the old forum that mentioned that the RenCen was visible from the Battle of Lake Erie monument in Put-in-Bay, Ohio [[a distance of about 65 miles!).
    I heard this too and I was in the tower on Put-In-Bay on a fairly clear day and could not see it. The main activity on Put-In-Bay is drinking and I was obliged to partake in this, so my vision may have been impaired.

On a clear night you can glimpse the Ambassador bridge from the hill on eastbound M14 near Northville road, and that's at least 20 miles. I'd imagine you would also be able to see the Ren Cen from that vantage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast