Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scrapper Smoked

When this board is too mean for poobert, you know it's fucked up.

Seriously, all you guys do are attack each other anymore. This place blows. Also, somebody died. By all accounts, he appears to have been a total shitbag. But human life still has meaning. Or so I thought.

Actual Detroit is somehow less mean-spirited than internet Detroit. And far more interesting.
    Last edited by poobert; February-15-14 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    When this board is too mean for poobert, you know it's fucked up.

Seriously, all you guys do are attack each other anymore. This place blows. Also, somebody died. By all accounts, he appears to have been a total shitbag. But human life still has meaning. Or so I thought.

Actual Detroit is somehow less mean-spirited than internet Detroit. And far more interesting.
    Don't twist things like that. There's a huge difference between memorializing an individual killed committing a crime or stating the unfortunate consequences.

The better situation would have been all of them arrested alive and doing 3000 hours of community service each to pay back society for their crimes. But it doesn't work like that. He chose his destiny and took the risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's how much passes through you to ground. That's why a bird or squirrel can wander around all day on a 13,000 volt wire. The instant it gets close enough to any ground point [[eg. the tower) to transfer the current, it's charcoal city.

I've been hit several times by 110VAC, but because I wasn't fully grounded, all I got was a good tingle.
    Did you ever get to hear the AC hum? I've gotten zapped good too. To many times.

Not Actually Dan Wesson...Voltage does NOT KILL...Amperage does! Touch a 12 volt battery to your tongue. it only has a small amount of amp's. As an Electrician, I'll let you and others know that Voltage is pressure. Amp are Power.

I have no sympathy for scumbags. They make cops necessary and the presence of both diminish the quality of life for most normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Not Actually Dan Wesson...Voltage does NOT KILL...Amperage does! Touch a 12 volt battery to your tongue. it only has a small amount of amp's. As an Electrician, I'll let you and others know that Voltage is pressure. Amp are Power.
    Isn't that what I said?

Now I didn't say amps instead I used the term current.

Current is measured in amps. A
    Potential/Pressure is measured in Volts. V
    Resistance is measured in Ohms. [[Ω) or R

But Power is not amperage.
    Power is measured in watts. P The equation is P = V x A

By the way a battery is DC [[direct current). These guys were messing with AC [[alternating current) and earth ground is the path back to the power house generators.

In a DC power supply current is trying to get back to the opposite battery terminal.

There is an interesting story on Thomas Alva Edison using AC devices to try to change the public's acceptance of AC as the dominate source of commercial electricity and instead adopt his DC power grid. DC is more inherently safer.

The electric chair is one and he also "fried" a horse and elephant or two in front of horrified genteel Ladies and Gentlemen back in the day.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-15-14 at 03:28 PM.

I'm with Poobert, on this one. Speaking of shocks, you folks are shockingly mean-spirited & argumentative.
    Scrappers are felons, yes, currently a severe problem for the metro community, yes, but the implication that this guy asked for, and deserved, death?
    Hey, if you feel that way, fine, I don't care, but I'm sure as hell glad that I'm not wired like you.

The trouble with scrappers beside the idea they are thieves, is that they also don't clean up behind themselves. They leave a bigger mess than before they started.

To compare them with poor folks who glean the fields in days gone bye is a stretch of common sense but plausible.

Personally, I wish more criminal acts were self-terminating. Think of the money we'd save on courts and prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Personally, I wish more criminal acts were self-terminating. Think of the money we'd save on courts and prisons.
    Another good point.

GUSHI Guest

Its still a loss of human life, even though he was breaking the law,

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I'm with Poobert, on this one. Speaking of shocks, you folks are shockingly mean-spirited & argumentative.
    Scrappers are felons, yes, currently a severe problem for the metro community, yes, but the implication that this guy asked for, and deserved, death?
    Hey, if you feel that way, fine, I don't care, but I'm sure as hell glad that I'm not wired like you.
    Once upon a time DYES was not so right wing. These days I feel like Im reading comments from the Freep. It used to be a lot more fun and understanding, not so much wishing certain death on others. Lowell had a better vision than this I believe.

Or, you can look at it as the not-so-nice and benevolent side of the left wing [[oh the shock of that)!

In any event [[or wing), I'm sorry the man loss his life in this manner, and yet let this outcome be a reminder that this vocation has risks.

Everything really DOES have a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Once upon a time DYES was not so right wing. These days I feel like Im reading comments from the Freep. It used to be a lot more fun and understanding, not so much wishing certain death on others. Lowell had a better vision than this I believe.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-15-14 at 09:15 PM.

So what in the hell happened?
    The consciousness of the person[[s) at the top almost always steers the boat, over the long haul. Based on what I recently saw happen in a contentious thread, there is someone at the helm, here, so why is this forum so pugnacious, mean-spirited, and generally brutish?

why is this forum so pugnacious, mean-spirited, and generally brutish?
    sounds like a whole new topic in and of itself...

I'm not at all right wing and not a violent person. But these people have destroyed Detroit, taking usable properties and making them worthless in minutes. Karma's a bitch sometimes.

People are tired of dealing with this stuff. Every thief, every dope dealer, every vandal, that has destroyed this City and it's surrounding area, has some noble cause. These people are a burden to those who live daily doing the right thing. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. It seems like every few months some other ass-clown gets electrocuted, breaking into a power station and trying to steal live copper wire. Time and time again, the media writes warnings about these occurrences. There are good people that have become victims, through no fault of their, @ the hands of people like this guy. My heart goes out to them. Read this guy's rap sheet. He chose his lifestyle and there are consequences for his choice. Quit changing the story that this was some poor, innocent victim.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-16-14 at 09:15 AM.

Once upon a time DYES was not so right wing
    When was that? I've been here since 2005 or so and there's been a right wing element all along. [[Remember Karl? CCbatson? etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm not at all right wing and not a violent person. But these people have destroyed Detroit, taking usable properties and making them worthless in minutes. Karma's a bitch sometimes.
    Amen. Breaking into places you do not belong, graffiti, and looting is never right. Nor is it right wing to be against it.

I don't know if it is necessarily partisan, but DYes is divided between those that feel that the population of Detroit are innocent victims of forces beyond their control or if they are the perpetrators of their own troubles.

His death was a direct result of his actions. That is called 'asking for'. He decided to engage in scrapping.

Did he deserve to die? I'll leave the politics to others. Certain the victims didn't deserve to lose thousands of dollars to his actions.

Sympathy to the victims, not the criminal here seems more than justified. I don't revel in his death. But I worry more for the poor souls who had to retrieve and deal with his body than I do for the man who was in the act of malicious, harmful theft.

Or it is like anywhere else when you have a group of people that have different opinions and views,it is the reaction of when they collide without the face to face interaction or emotions.One never knows if the other is being sarcastic etc.
    without the little smiley face thing.

Or something like that.

I learned a long time ago when I was working in peoples homes never talk about Sex, Politics or Religion.
    I had heard that before.
    But, once after we had gone on a ten week strike, I was involved with the Teamsters, Sears and the Teamsters for a Democratic Union with a certain mod here who was running for local 243 president...

I found myself talking to a GP'er about the union cause and I'll be darned when I showed up for work the next day, I was called in the office and guess what it was about...

Ya'll want pleasant conversation? Then don't talk about....

My my...... the guilt train is full steam in this thread. Not only should we all feel bad for maintaining the stance this career thief paid the ultimate price, but now the reich wing is annexing the site. Come TF on.

First, it's fine and dandy to feel bad for the loss of life. If it happened to a brother or cousin of mine, I would be very distraught and searching for reason. Lest we all forget, this person chose a life of risk/reward and met with the odds.

Next, as someone else put it, scrappers' actions have really set this city back; in reverse one could argue. They've harvested the city without regard to the depreciation they spread. To think that general feelings of remorse apply to those who've reaped benefits from the self induce implosion of our infrastructure is borderline silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I don't know if it is necessarily partisan, but DYes is divided between those that feel that the population of Detroit are innocent victims of forces beyond their control or if they are the perpetrators of their own troubles.
    This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. I mean, is this even remotely accurate? Called for? No. It's just rude and passive aggressive.

Again, back in the day people used to come here and talk about cool spots in Detroit, shoot the shit, whatever. Now we're drawing lines in the sand, celebrating some poor fucker's death, and jeering the opening of a pub in Midtown. I mean, who are these people?

But you know what they say, there are no bad crews, only bad leaders.

Going downtown to shoot the shit with actual Detroiters. Keep it nasty, DourYes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast