Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I feel better with that vehicle firmly planted on the roadway, upright.

Name:  IMG_0098-1_Ink_LI.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  100.0 KB

Trying again to get the other image.

Maybe should have drawn the arrow to "Gilbertville" as Danny would call the Hudson site... Lol.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-23-17 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Once again... Can we PLEASE stop calling this a trolley?
    Yep: it's a streetcar, and it doesn't even have a trolley on it. The trolley, back in the day, was the pole that connected the streetcar to the overhead power. For many, many decades, that's only been a feature of intentionally retro streetcars. The modern and much more reliable design has a power take-up unit connected by springs to the roof of the vehicle so that it makes a more reliable connection with the "catenary", which is argot for the overhead wire [[it is actually the proper term for the shape the wire makes in profile).

The interesting thing about this particular variety of streetcar is that it will be operating on stored power, in on-board batteries, for more than half the route. That's a fairly cutting-edge thing in the streetcar biz. I can't wait to ride it. And, I blame Judy Garland for people calling streetcars "trolleys".

In honor of Ms. Garland, I hope they rename the QLine the Atchinson, Topeka, and Santa Fe.

Now, with all of the development happening in New Center west of Woodward/Grand Blvd, it would be a "coup" in my view to extend the Q-Line down Grand Boulevard to the Motown Museum. I think this is the most logical extension to make. Many would say an extension to 8 mile is the most logical extension. However, from a usage standpoint, I think you would get more riders making more frequent trips along Grand Boulevard than along Woodward north of Grand Boulevard. Those new residential developments springing up along Grand Boulevard [[Third and Grand and Fisher Building/Albert Kahn) and Woodward [[Brush Park) will bring hundreds of new riders. Also, add tourists coming from the new downtown hotels wanting to visit Little Caesar's Arena and the Motown Museum and you have a very busy streetcar line.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Yep: it's a streetcar, and it doesn't even have a trolley on it. The trolley, back in the day, was the pole that connected the streetcar to the overhead power. For many, many decades, that's only been a feature of intentionally retro streetcars. The modern and much more reliable design has a power take-up unit connected by springs to the roof of the vehicle so that it makes a more reliable connection with the "catenary", which is argot for the overhead wire [[it is actually the proper term for the shape the wire makes in profile).

The interesting thing about this particular variety of streetcar is that it will be operating on stored power, in on-board batteries, for more than half the route. That's a fairly cutting-edge thing in the streetcar biz. I can't wait to ride it. And, I blame Judy Garland for people calling streetcars "trolleys".
    Actually, the term comes from the early streetcar design [[DePole) with two overhead wires There was a little four wheel car that rolled on the wires tethered to the car with an electric cable and a towing cable. If the car derailed, it landed with a loud crash on the streetcar and of course the car stopped as it no longer had electric power. Because the little car "trolled" [[as in fishing) behind the streetcar, it was called the troller car. This was later corrupted to trolley. A more reliable connection could be made with a spring tensioned pole with either a wheel to engage the power line or an underrunning shoe. Because it replaced the troller car, it took the name of trolley pole.

A meeting is scheduled tonight to discussed safety issues. It will be at the Villages of Brush Park 2900 Brush Street from 5:30-7:30.

I saw the streetcar today for the first time. Was sitting on the east tracks just north of Warren at about 10 this morning. Looks sharp!

Ok. Currently we have a Reflex route bus that runs on Woodward, the SMART bus which only goes downtown during certain periods of the day, and the Q-Line on the same street along with D-DOT.

In most areas, the Q-Line will run curbside which would make it harder for people to find a parking spot to businesses on the street. However when it gets near to Grand Blvd, it goes down the middle of the street.

Should the Q-Line be expanded further north toward Oakland County and run along the middle of the street? If it is expanded, it could easily have fewer stops than most buses and run a lot faster.

Another question that must be asked is what the fare will be for the Q-Line. That hasn't been addressed at all. So if anyone finds out before I do on what the fare is for the Q-Line, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Another question that must be asked is what the fare will be for the Q-Line. That hasn't been addressed at all. So if anyone finds out before I do on what the fare is for the Q-Line, let me know.
    $1.50

http://m-1rail.com/faq/

The system is envisioned to be expanded to the north in the center-median. The vehicles are able to run more rapid when the system has its own right-of-way. North of Grand Boulevard, the operations would run as LRT [[stops every mile) instead of streetcar.

The system is envisioned to be expanded to the north in the center-median. The vehicles are able to run more rapid when the system has its own right-of-way. North of Grand Boulevard, the operations would run as LRT [[stops every mile) instead of streetcar.
    How do you know any of this? M-1 is a streetcar, not a light rail vehicle. I'm not sure what this means for stop frequency, but streetcars make stops it seems every quarter of a mile. I would like it to be expanded north. But it could also work if expanded to Grand Blvd, along Jefferson, or even up to Hamtramck via Holbrook to Jos. Campau/Caniff.

I was wondering if all the streetcars have been delivered...

To accommodate demand for a longer route you'd eventually need longer trains. I can't see this happening as the station platforms are only the size of one car-length, and it would be very costly to extend them. In addition, the vehicle maintenance and storage facility would need to be expanded as it can only hold the amount of cars that was ordered, which is a very low number. So it will be very expensive to increase capacity. In other words, I doubt this system will be expanded in the near future.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rail/98967196/

I'll believe it when I see it...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    How do you know any of this? M-1 is a streetcar, not a light rail vehicle. I'm not sure what this means for stop frequency, but streetcars make stops it seems every quarter of a mile. I would like it to be expanded north. But it could also work if expanded to Grand Blvd, along Jefferson, or even up to Hamtramck via Holbrook to Jos. Campau/Caniff.
    There's nothing stopping a "streetcar" vehicle from being a "light rail" vehicle. If it ran in its own lane and stopped every mile, what would be the difference? Capacity would be lower than most light rail trainsets, but that doesn't have anything to do with stop spacing or right of way. Others have pointed out in the past that part of the reason for switching to center-running north of Grand is to make this kind of future extension possible.

Spotted on Woodward this AM...

Name:  qline-testing-1400.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  77.0 KB

Source, please?

I used the wrong word there.. "Envisioned" was incorrect. What I should have said was "has the ability to". And yes, I agree that if the system is expanded, higher capacity vehicles would need to be purchased. But professor, you and I have had this conversation before in agreement.

Default Opening day [[for QLine)

I'm astonished nobody has posted this tidbit, although maybe it's been well enough publicized that everyone already knows about it. The current plan is for QLine to provide a first, ceremonial ride for various dignitaries on Friday, May 12, some time early in the day, and to open to the public for revenue service that evening. [[I would have provided more details but that's all that I know at the moment.) Congratulations to Paul, Matt and the whole team that has brought it to fruition! Looking forward to riding.

Out and about on the beautiful, yet horrible windy day the other day a sign of Spring and yet long overdue correction of a 50 year screw up up and down Woodward Avenue....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I'm astonished nobody has posted this tidbit, although maybe it's been well enough publicized that everyone already knows about it. The current plan is for QLine to provide a first, ceremonial ride for various dignitaries on Friday, May 12, some time early in the day, and to open to the public for revenue service that evening. [[I would have provided more details but that's all that I know at the moment.) Congratulations to Paul, Matt and the whole team that has brought it to fruition! Looking forward to riding.
    My post is above, professor

Name:  DSC_8203.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  47.6 KB apologies in advance for the dark sideways image, but as M1 marches closer to completion i noticed a new signal at the Adelaide station. Its not at the corner like a typical light but in ths platform itself. Anyone know what it is or for?
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; March-27-17 at 05:34 PM.

It's a signal for the streetcar, lights like it are commonly used in streetcar/tram systems.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    It's a signal for the streetcar, lights like it are commonly used in streetcar/tram systems.
    Common in California

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast