Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    And then to confuse me even more, the rail line veers into the second lane and maybe the third lane in front of the Fox Theater and Grand Circus Park. Why wouldn't the rail go right up against the curb in front of the Fox?
    This is because the Handicapped drop off and pick up point for the Fox and Fillmore Theatre's is DIRECTLY in front of the theatre entrances. Imagine if handicapped folks were let off at the 2nd lane from the curb.... getting mowed down by an oncoming M-1 rail car [[because you don't have the means to get out of the way quickly enough) would make for some pretty bad press...

Woodward is extremely wide through Midtown, there needs to be pedestrian islands at crosswalks in case people can't cross the street in time. Also, more crosswalks!

417deer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Thank god RTA doesn't allow for opt-out.
    The support for over $100 Million per year from Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties from a small property or license fee tax is very strong.

This means that a property owner in Oxford, MI will pay the entire cost for both SMART and DDOT, the same as everyone else in 3 counties. The RTA agreement is very specific about this and it is a part of the agreement.

So, if you want any additional money for mass transit aside from present local funding, then please sign below.

https://www.change.org/p/regional-tr...and-ddot-buses?
    Last edited by 417deer; March-08-16 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This is because the Handicapped drop off and pick up point for the Fox and Fillmore Theatre's is DIRECTLY in front of the theatre entrances. Imagine if handicapped folks were let off at the 2nd lane from the curb.... getting mowed down by an oncoming M-1 rail car [[because you don't have the means to get out of the way quickly enough) would make for some pretty bad press...
    Thanks, Gistok, for that explanation. So if that's the case, why wouldn't that have been done for the entire southbound lanes of the M1-Rail? There aren't any other drop off points along Woodward for the handicapped on that side? What about Orchestra Hall? What about the new Red Wings arena? What about a new hotel? Funny how Ilitch concerns were addressed and taken care of. The rest of us be damned.
    Last edited by royce; March-08-16 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Thanks, Gistok, for that explanation. So if that's the case, why wouldn't that have been done for the entire southbound lanes of the M1-Rail? There aren't any other drop off points along Woodward for the handicapped on that side? What about Orchestra Hall? What about the new Red Wings arena? What about a new hotel? Funny how Ilitch concerns were addressed and taken care of. The rest of us be damned.
    Interesting.

i think your statement is a bit simple.

last time I checked the Fox and arena are both Ilitch facilities.

Does anyone have any updated photos of the progress? Are any of the station platforms going in yet? Is the I-75 bridge complete?

I offer this in case anyone is interested. It is the details on the proposed light rail, "Purple Line" in Suburban, D.C. [[two Maryland counties) to connect between spokes of the subway system, etc. [[it seems that final approval is due sometime this summer).

It has details on how often the trains would run, how much, how many cars [[two cars, not six or eight like the subway system), fare checking, etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ple-line-deal/

I'm am still perplexed at those skeptics who thought that M-1 [[QLine) was a waste or whatever they referred to it.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...economic-clout

These are a few telling paragraphs from the article:

Gilbert never would have started investing nearly $2.2 billion in acquiring, renovating and developing more than 85 properties in downtown without transit, Cullen said.
    “Dan always said, ‘I’m only coming [[downtown) if there’s transit,’” Cullen said. “We hope the QLine is an economic development driver, but that it also will be the catalyst for regional transit.”
    Rail projects nationwide have sent real estate values soaring.
    A recent study in Denver showed office rents and property values near light-rail stations were 300 to 400 percent higher.
    Land near QLine stations is drawing investors in Detroit.

Here is another forward-looking prediction:

"All told, the economic impact of transit-oriented development is expected to top $3.5 billion within a decade, M-1 Rail officials say, and include a mix of 10,000 new residential units, offices and commercial projects clustered near Woodward."

woodward down to one lane. grand blvd closed at woodward.

get on the trumbull detour and theres a bunch of MSP waiting to pop everyone not going 25 on the side streets.

what fun.

I'm sorry, I just can't take the name Q-Line seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I'm sorry, I just can't take the name Q-Line seriously...
    Woodward Light Rail [[WLR)? WLine?

Maybe Danny can come up with something unique and funny?
    Last edited by emu steve; April-19-16 at 09:04 AM.

if anybody is curious what the new streetlights would look like in the section of woodward where the M-1 rail would be 'On-wire'... they started to put them in this week.

They look basically identical to the rest of the streetlights on woodward, only difference is the actual light bulbs hang 'north and south' over the sidewalk, rather than 'east and west' like the rest of woodward where the rail will be off-wire.

they still have to put in the arms that will hang off the top of the light poles that will have the street car wires

Cars being built...

Hint: Need to find photos of the Dallas street cars to know what QLine cars will look...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...tour/85841102/

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Cars being built...

Hint: Need to find photos of the Dallas street cars to know what QLine cars will look...

Exciting!

https://www.dart.org/riding/dallasstreetcar.asp

Here is another forward-looking prediction:

"All told, the economic impact of transit-oriented development is expected to top $3.5 billion within a decade, M-1 Rail officials say, and include a mix of 10,000 new residential units, offices and commercial projects clustered near Woodward."
    Good point. It is hoped that those who profit from this will reimburse the rest of us, who subsidized the project, with some sort of M1 Regional or Neighborhood Tax.
    Last edited by Bobl; June-14-16 at 04:00 PM.

Cars being built...

They were thrilled, and "eager to see our car at that stage," Lijana said, noting that the main difference between the two is that Detroit's cars are 6 inches wider.
    Shall we presume this is because Detroiters are 6 inches wider?

Wouldn't it be neat if one of our three pro teams which play at the three sports facilities serviced by the QLine were to win a world championship and folks could 'joy ride' all night [[until the line closed for the evening) celebrating...

Or maybe the Tigers win the ALCS. The Lions win the NFC.

Talk about a couple not-to-likely-dreams...

[QUOTE=emu steve;507711]Wouldn't it be neat if one of our three pro teams which play at the three sports facilities serviced by the QLine were to win a world championship and folks could 'joy ride' all night [[until the line closed for the evening) celebrating...

Talk about a couple not-to-likely-dreams...[/QUOTES TE]

You might as well throw the new Lions cheerleaders squad on that all night train ride your dreaming up. Will even make it more neat. They like fruity drinks.

[QUOTE=ABetterDetroit;507772]
    Wouldn't it be neat if one of our three pro teams which play at the three sports facilities serviced by the QLine were to win a world championship and folks could 'joy ride' all night [[until the line closed for the evening) celebrating...

Talk about a couple not-to-likely-dreams...[/QUOTES TE]

You might as well throw the new Lions cheerleaders squad on that all night train ride your dreaming up. Will even make it more neat. They like fruity drinks.
    Wow, if the 1968 World Series celebration was any guide, a huge sports celebration with cheerleaders nearby would be great. The 1968 celebration, sans cheerleaders, was pretty damn good. Maybe an '11' on a '10' point scale... More of a celebration than those things which were supposed to be big celebrations, like graduations, wedding, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Good point. It is hoped that those who profit from this will reimburse the rest of us, who subsidized the project, with some sort of M1 Regional or Neighborhood Tax.
    Yay regionalism. Just a stupid comment. Will we apply the same logic to those that live near metroparks that see increased property values due to everyone in the tri counties paying a tax? Will we see the same for the people that live along the multi billion dollar I-75 project.

People only want a return when a penny goes to infrastructure in Detroit but everywhere else it is completely fine having the region pay.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Yay regionalism. Just a stupid comment. Will we apply the same logic to those that live near metroparks that see increased property values due to everyone in the tri counties paying a tax? Will we see the same for the people that live along the multi billion dollar I-75 project.

People only want a return when a penny goes to infrastructure in Detroit but everywhere else it is completely fine having the region pay.
    I have no problem with regionalism. It is necessary to provide museums, universities, parks and highways that benefit large populations, and to provide needed infrastructure. I object to an incredibly expensive slow rail project serving a few billionaire land owners on a three mile stretch of Woodward, when a bus rapid transit system could have been done much more inexpensively.
    Last edited by Bobl; June-17-16 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I have no problem with regionalism. It is necessary to provide museums, universities, parks and highways that benefit large populations, and to provide needed infrastructure. I object to an incredibly expensive slow rail project serving a few billionaire land owners on a three mile stretch of Woodward, when a bus rapid transit system could have been done much more inexpensively.
    That's an extremely shortsighted and narrow view of the purpose of M1. Despite the fact it has private [[and public) funding, the effect of a streetcar and a BRT system on an inner core are very different. Streetcars are a good urban shuttle while BRT is supposed to be a good commuter and regional connector.

If we want M1 Rail to expend to a more city-wide streetcar system, then vote for RTA funding in November; considering their plan to absorb it by 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That's an extremely shortsighted and narrow view of the purpose of M1. Despite the fact it has private [[and public) funding, the effect of a streetcar and a BRT system on an inner core are very different. Streetcars are a good urban shuttle while BRT is supposed to be a good commuter and regional connector.
    When has BRT ever been used as a regional/commuter system?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    When has BRT ever been used as a regional/commuter system?
    I mean to say that's the plan for it.

While I've voiced my apprehension for BRT, it has been used very successfully in Curitiba, Brazil and Bogota, Columbia [[though they may get a subway soon) where it is used as the backbone to their transit systems. We might be the first in North America where it would be used as the backbone instead of LRT or a subway.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast