Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Mid-block crossings when intersections are at a considerable distance from each other are an important safety feature, and it is even more important to provide, as Mr. Childs indicates, a "refuge island" so people who move fairly slowly - some elderly people, some disabled people and so forth - have the opportunity to cross the street in two segments rather than all at once.

A poster was concerned about the effect on traffic, but typically in downtown zones any such crossing is timed in coordination with the lights at nearby intersections to provide a reasonably smooth flow of traffic. We live, you know, in a city with a lot of engineers, and this sort of thing isn't even particularly complicated.
    Prof Scott: Any knowledge of when and how will Woodward be resurfaced [[is that mill and pave?)?

Re-doing Woodward itself would be a minor miracle and would make the entire area look much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Prof Scott: Any knowledge of when and how will Woodward be resurfaced [[is that mill and pave?)?
    Unfortunately I don't have the inside scoop on any of MDOT's part of the project, and this is that, but I have a hard time imagining it would be anything less than mill and pave.

The most fascinating part of all this, to me, is that the streetcars will be off-wire for much [[most, I think) of the trip in both directions. I have heard of that being done before but I haven't actually seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have the inside scoop on any of MDOT's part of the project, and this is that, but I have a hard time imagining it would be anything less than mill and pave.

The most fascinating part of all this, to me, is that the streetcars will be off-wire for much [[most, I think) of the trip in both directions. I have heard of that being done before but I haven't actually seen it.

Yep I heard the only part where it is on wire is just north of I-75 to Canfield in midtown. M1 has said it is approximately 40% on wire and 60% off wire. However as a bonus to the area with it being on wire, they are getting all new streetlights that will support the wires as well as act as streetlights. The lights that are currently there that will be removed in that section will be placed in other areas around midtown

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Yep I heard the only part where it is on wire is just north of I-75 to Canfield in midtown. M1 has said it is approximately 40% on wire and 60% off wire.
    Yep. Straight from the horse's mouth [[the FAQ section at m-1rail.com): "The streetcars will require on-wire operation between Henry and Canfield; it will be off-wire everywhere else along the line."