Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ship passages may have stopped, but the recency of ice-cutting before they stopped combined with the reasonably swift flow of the water beneath would dissaude me from marching across. I'd certainly walk out on a shallow portion and test it out though.

Remarkable how the larger lakes are almost frozen across. Its a positively rare event, and rarer still in the high-carbon era. http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/...&type=N&lake=l

Considering what de Troit means, I am not sure we can call this body of water the straits of Detroit. Unlike, say, Gibraltar or my namesake, the city was named after the physical description of the waterway.

Water [[or "river"): de Troit / Detroit. Translated: The Strait.
    City: de Troit / Detroit. Tranlated: [the City on/of] The Strait

Strait: noun[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

a narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water

Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair would be the 2 requisite larger bodies of water. Since the strait in question flows past the city of Detroit, it would not be wrong to call it the Straits of Detroit. Nor would it be wrong to say the Straits of Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Strait: noun[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

a narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water

Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair would be the 2 requisite larger bodies of water. Since the strait in question flows past the city of Detroit, it would not be wrong to call it the Straits of Detroit. Nor would it be wrong to say the Straits of Windsor.

As long as we get it strait.........

From the east end of Belle Isle on January 31st: a convoy of two icebreakers and four freighters winding their way downbound past Windmill Pt on the left, and Peche Island on the right.

Name:  1796986_712334085457498_1949386997_o.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  21.2 KB
    Name:  1601937_712337298790510_1841201688_o.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  19.9 KB

There was open water within 20 yards of shore and I was surprised to hear the river current against the ice. Also, what seemed like a sheet of solid ice heaved and broke apart as soon as the ships' wake hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    From the east end of Belle Isle on January 31st: a convoy of two icebreakers and four freighters winding their way downbound past Windmill Pt on the left, and Peche Island on the right.

Name:  1796986_712334085457498_1949386997_o.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  21.2 KB
    Name:  1601937_712337298790510_1841201688_o.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  19.9 KB

There was open water within 20 yards of shore and I was surprised to hear the river current against the ice. Also, what seemed like a sheet of solid ice heaved and broke apart as soon as the ships' wake hit it.

Nice shooting MikeM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    As long as we get it strait.........
    Can I talk about a strait if I'm gay?

And MikeM, that is a great shot.

Thank you. They looked crooked but that's because the ice on the distant right side blends in with the sky. The cutter and the two tankers spent the night stuck in the ice but finally passed through the Detroit River this afternoon, so don't go walking out on the ice for a day or two.

Lake Erie has frozen over - here's how it looked from space yesterday

Name:  t1_14043_1640_LakeErie_143_250m.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  44.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    City: de Troit / Detroit. Tranlated: [the City on/of] The Strait
    That would be Ville de Troit.

Quote Originally Posted by Embee View Post
    Lake Erie has frozen over - here's how it looked from space yesterday

Name:  t1_14043_1640_LakeErie_143_250m.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  44.0 KB
    When I used to fly from NY to Detroit, a good chunk of the flight is over Lake Erie. I used to love the expanse of blue with tiny little dots [[ships) moving over it. It would be so weird to see a desert of white.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    There are no Straits of Detroit. The name Detroit means 'Straits'. Just sayin.
    Yeah yeah yeah I know and you know but it sounds better than the Detroit River because it ain't no river neither. It is either a straits or part of the St. Lawrence River. Now if it just had some rapids it could be a sault.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah I know and you know but it sounds better than the Detroit River because it ain't no river neither. It is either a straits or part of the St. Lawrence River. Now if it just had some rapids it could be a sault.
    I pretty sure it's not sault water.

I think its best to stay off the ice.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...ewmode=default

The frozen Great Lakes are causing a political crisis in Canada. Heretofore untold numbers of inhabitants of "Canada's basement" are brazenly crossing into the Dominion. NDP party apparatchiks have been spotted meeting the invaders with snowmobiles bearing Hudson's Bay blankets, hot beaver tails and poutine. Conservative party observers denounce this as an effort to swell the ranks of "undocumented New Democrats" and vow to use secret Canadian technology to restore the lakes to a liquid state. NDP officials deny any part in the affair, but a reporter for the Toronto Star claimed that an NDP office had ordered a mass printing of "The Newcomers Guide to Hockey". Further reports as events unfold.

the ice down in front of Fort Wayne has stayed pretty dense lately, but it has cleared out a couple times as well. of course, today it is all open water, but it was frozen over just a few days ago.

part of it is the rapid current, and part if it is the fact that there are so many industrial outlets and drains of various sorts concentrated in this area, keeping the average water temperature higher than it normally would be. even though the great lakes may be frozen completely over, the Detroit River itself will probably only get a skin at most.

i'd say if its going to happen at all, this is the winter that it will have the best chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2