Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Top 100 on April 4, 1964.

In an achievement unlikely to ever be equalled, for the week of April 4th,1964, the Beatles occupied the top five positions of the Billboard Top 100 chart:
    1: Can't Buy Me Love [[Capitol)
    2: Twist And Shout [[Tollie)
    3: She Loves You [[Swan)
    4: I Want To Hold Your Hand [[Capitol)
    5: Please Please Me [[Vee Jay)
    They also had an additional 7 songs on the top 100 chart:

31: Saw Her Standing There [[Capitol)
    41: From Me To You [[Vee Jay)
    46: Do You Want To Know A Secret [[Vee Jay)
    58: All My Loving [[Capitol)
    65: You Can't Do That [[Capitol)
    68: Roll Over Beethoven [[Capitol)
    79: Thank You Girl [[Vee Jay)
    Attachment 22728
    Veejay was a black owned record company who was the first to play or sell Beatles records when others refused to

I Might add that Vee Jay also had the Four Seasons on their roster. An album featuring the Beatles and the Four Seasons was released by Vee Jay to take advantage of the sudden popularity of both groups and of course make some needed cash. The Swan label by the way was owned by Dick Clark who alledgedly failed to pay royalties to the Beatles. I do not believe the Beatles ever appeared on American Bandstand...

Both of my aunts on my dad's side were at the 1964 concert. I probably wouldn't know that if it wasn't for my grandfather still complaining 40's years later about the traffic when he had to drop off/pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Veejay was a black owned record company who was the first to play or sell Beatles records when others refused to
    In the United States, that is

Yes in the U.S. George Harrison came to America in 1963 to visit his sister who lived in Benton Illinois and played at the VFW hall with a local band. He only sang two local song. Roll Over Bethoven and a Hank Ballard song. No one heard of the Beatles but a few in the summer od 63

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2