Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Snyder has his money to fix his blood clot on his leg. But I he's not putting enough of his money to fix the potholes on out mess up roads. What a geek he is!

And I thought nerds are going to rule the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This is the essential problem with the never compromise and raise a budget mindset of the far right refusing to address a serious issue if the fix is money. What happens is the problem becomes so exasperated and the public at large gets sick of being a pawn in a stupid tug of war to solve the issue that you end up with a ridiculously large over tax that every lawmaker that wants money can hitch their wagon to it. A 2 billion dollar tax grab like raising the sales tax is a perfect example of this. Just raise the gas tax a dime and fix the damn roads.
    I totally agree with this assessment.

The radical right anti-tax faction is opposing fiscally conservative tax policy, and forcing the public to choose between deteriorating roads and an actual tax increase that goes into an ill-defined government slush fund, seemingly because they are too stupid to understand the concept of inflation.

As a strong fiscal conservative, I absolutely support an inflation adjustment to the state gas tax. The state gas tax functions essentially as a user fee, which charges the users of the roads in proportion to the amount that they use the roads. The more you drive on the roads, the more you pay for their construction and maintenance. This is textbook fiscal conservatism. A $.10 per gallon inflation adjustment would simply reflect the fact that $.19 in 1997 is equal to $.29 in 2015.

Unfortunately, the radical-right anti-tax people are opposed to fiscal conservatism, and have instead supported putting a large sales tax increase up for a popular vote. Instead of inflation adjusting the directly funded user fee style system, the radical-right anti-tax faction would rather have a general sales tax increase that goes into a big government slush fund for the politicians to spend as they please.

The roads aren't in poor condition. I'm happy with the current condition and repair budgets. I'll vote no on the tax increase. Too much false hype about how bad the roads are. I have no problems getting around and have never had a repair due to hitting a pot hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    The roads aren't in poor condition. I'm happy with the current condition and repair budgets. I'll vote no on the tax increase. Too much false hype about how bad the roads are. I have no problems getting around and have never had a repair due to hitting a pot hole.
    Actually funny. Years ago I attended a meeting where council members sponsor/go once a year into various districts. A lady got up and complained about a strip of connors. She said it was so bad she had to take out her false teeth to drive . It got good a laugh but its worse now then it was then. Now that I wear dentures I know what she means.

I'll vote no because of all attachments. I would have endorsed a bill that was a straight up increase in gas taxes dedicated to road improvement.

Just to be annoying what about the state of our sidewalks.

Yes I lost an axle on my little Chevy s-10 some years back on an over pass for the Dequinder cut near Eastern Market. Those over passes are being worked on this year. Nice! A little late for me, but still nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I'll vote no because of all attachments. I would have endorsed a bill that was a straight up increase in gas taxes dedicated to road improvement.

Just to be annoying what about the state of our sidewalks.

Yes I lost an axle on my little Chevy s-10 some years back on an over pass for the Dequinder cut near Eastern Market. Those over passes are being worked on this year. Nice! A little late for me, but still nice.
    This summer I watched them put in brand new sidewalks near the damaged drawbridge over the rouge, near the refinery. Maybe 6 houses on those 4 blocks. Nice crosswalks for the blind too. I had to laugh. The streetlights even work there.

They just spent all last summer and fall "resurfacing" Mack from cadieux to moross. There are some spots after the resurfacing people have gotten flat tires. I swear they only worked on Sunday. Shaking my head.

I'll vote no on the increase, as I will on any tax increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    This summer I watched them put in brand new sidewalks near the damaged drawbridge over the rouge, near the refinery. Maybe 6 houses on those 4 blocks. Nice crosswalks for the blind too. I had to laugh. The streetlights even work there.

They just spent all last summer and fall "resurfacing" Mack from cadieux to moross. There are some spots after the resurfacing people have gotten flat tires. I swear they only worked on Sunday. Shaking my head.

The nice thing is you vote. Don't have to agree or disagree. Trying to get people to get out and vote is one of the hardest community efforts I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    And what is the name of your city or town, in which you live, Fantasy, Michigan? These roads are the worst in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post

They never do get it right, seen it re done several times in my life time. For fun though try Chandler Park dr from Canyon to Moross, awe inspiring as to jaw breaking. PS: drive a very old car you don't care about.

What's sad is that MDOT never, ever got around to issuing an animated educational DVD to teach us of these dangers. Now's the perfect time.

I've been watching one particular pothole grow. It's now forming a pothole within the pothole. There seem to be two layers of asphalt and now it's beginning to etch through the second layer.

We keep hearing about accidents caused by distracted drivers. The potholes are becoming a new distraction.

I'll be voting no on the sales tax increase for most of the reasons stated above. I live in Lincoln Park and we are facing a vote to increase property taxes by 6 mills for pension shortfalls. If it doesn't pass, the EM we have will most likely slap us with a levy. So no new tax unless safeguards in place to make sure money is spent as promised. And I know promises are made to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've been watching one particular pothole grow. It's now forming a pothole within the pothole. There seem to be two layers of asphalt and now it's beginning to etch through the second layer.

We keep hearing about accidents caused by distracted drivers. The potholes are becoming a new distraction.
    Potholes are sort of facinating, I have reported a few. Nada repairs. We stick pretty close to home these days and it is almost fun to know when to swerve. Almost like a video game.

Did go further afield and my husband thought he had a better route home. I stated my opinion but said "whatever", by the time we got home, we were glad we had tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This is the essential problem with the never compromise and raise a budget mindset of the far right refusing to address a serious issue if the fix is money. What happens is the problem becomes so exasperated and the public at large gets sick of being a pawn in a stupid tug of war to solve the issue that you end up with a ridiculously large over tax that every lawmaker that wants money can hitch their wagon to it. A 2 billion dollar tax grab like raising the sales tax is a perfect example of this. Just raise the gas tax a dime and fix the damn roads.
    Here's an even better idea. Take the average 1.6 bil that is raised annually, [[Thanx for those reports RO_Resident) from gasoline tax, OUT of the General Fund, and put it what it was intended for, repair of roads and bridges. Once money is in the General Fund, it can be used for "General" things. You're not showing me it's being spent yearly on road improvement. And if it is, it's being pissed away so next year more can be obtained and pissed away. Go ahead, raise taxes. 10 years down the road, this scenario of "not enough money" will be repeating itself. It always does.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Here's an even better idea. Take the average 1.6 bil that is raised annually, [[Thanx for those reports RO_Resident) from gasoline tax, OUT of the General Fund, and put it what it was intended for, repair of roads and bridges. Once money is in the General Fund, it can be used for "General" things. You're not showing me it's being spent yearly on road improvement. And if it is, it's being pissed away so next year more can be obtained and pissed away. Go ahead, raise taxes. 10 years down the road, this scenario of "not enough money" will be repeating itself. It always does.
    We have a close friend who totally agrees with you. He is voting no too. The money is there but not allocated properly

I'll be voting yes because Prop 1 seems to get more money to the roads [[and because reversing the Snyder cuts to the EITC and K-12 funding are goods in themselves, although this does nothing about the coming cuts to K-12 to offset the half-billion dollar hole in the budget caused by Snyder's business tax cuts).

In the bigger picture, though, can anything be done to make our roads last longer? Telegraph from about 10 Mile to Square Lake was completely rebuilt [[as in taking it down to the dirt) in 09-10, and already there are huge holes in the surface at Maple

I imagine the state should require contractors to be held responsible for at least 10 yrs for quality of work. Of course I understand our weather effects our roads but what gets put in is pure crap.

Just like those new light bulbs that are supposed to last ten yrs, that's a joke. My main floor ceiling requires a ladder to replace bulbs, all new and one is already burnt out. Sigh!

Found this news item about a fourteen year old student at a private school in Montreal who thought up a smart scheme to do repair potholes;

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...thole-solution

I am still undecided about how I plan to vote on this issue. A lot of great arguments on both sides of the issue here.

I may be able to take the financial hit, but my biggest sticking point is bang for our buck. Many of the freeways, when new lasted 50 years. [[See I-75 North of 12 Mile, now caped with asphalt). If their aggregate is sub-par, or the cement mix is too weak now, I do not know. But to see concrete less than 10 years old spall and flake off the top layer is ridiculous.

Is it true the cement lobby had their influence added to this bill before it was ratified? Any new concrete must be warranted, without cities cheapening the engineering standards to stretch miles paved.

Increasing funding for transit is ok with me if transit was well coordinated. No one needs to walk miles because their transit system failed them.

Do I have faith that our representatives, D or R, would uphold their fiduciary responsibility and keep funding where it was intended? I didn't buy that "lock box" baloney back in the 2000 election.

What to do?.....

My son, who lives in Nevada, just called after reading today's Free Press article that explained Prop One. After the usual greetings, he asked: "What's the matter with you people?"
    How embarrassing!

Woodward is indeed bad, but it's okay near Foxtown/Downtown and kinda pretty near the DIA. Work is being done along the bad parts, bit by bit, but maybe that's only to install the light-rail tram system, while motorists still get a bumpy ride?

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Woodward is indeed bad, but it's okay near Foxtown/Downtown and kinda pretty near the DIA. Work is being done along the bad parts, bit by bit, but maybe that's only to install the light-rail tram system, while motorists still get a bumpy ride?
    Woodward is being completely rebuilt, from the sewer up, including the streetcar tracks, new light poles, new traffic lights, etc. It's going to be a very smooth ride for both cars and trains when it opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    What a bunch of BS... after reading that I'm definitely voting NO.

This ballet proposal is proof of the total incompetence of the legislators in Lansing.

If they want a ballot proposal to do their job we should give them one. How about something along the lines of eliminating the house and senate and replacing it with a 12 member representative board. Then we would have some extra money for the GD roads finally.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast