Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Dots is liquidating all of their stores, so the only thing left soon will be the Beauty Supply store [[is the Athlete's Foot, Payless and Ashley Stewart still there?).
    Athlete's Foot is closed. Ashley Stewart is the other clothing store I mentioned that closed recently. I forgot about the Payless being there before you mentioned it. They must have closed too. The signage for all the closed stores seems to have been removed recently [[Hollywood Video, Rainbow Kids, etc.) I work across the street so I'll check tomorrow to see if there's anything I missed.

I still don't buy my meat and dairy products from a spartan store. I don't trust them. I was hoping that a Walmart would open in the stripmall. Are there any Spartan Stores in Royal Oak, Birmingham, or Roseville?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I still don't buy my meat and dairy products from a spartan store. I don't trust them. I was hoping that a Walmart would open in the stripmall. Are there any Spartan Stores in Royal Oak, Birmingham, or Roseville?

And you trust Wal-Mart?

I can count on one hand the number of stores I will buy meat from in the city, mainly because I refuse to get robbed by Kroger or Meijer.

But otherwise, I'm with you. I go to Kroger or Meijer to do my shopping [[or Randazzo's for produce).

Let's face it Spartan products and the stores that sell them have a monopoly in Detroit with the exception of Meijer and Wholefoods. The independent stores in Detroit products are not as s good as Meijer, Kroger, or WalMart. Grosse Pointe and Royal Oak have independent markets that sell good products that are way below the expiration date and not past it. It think that the Ave of Fashion should have the same type of grocery store as Grosse Pointe and Royal Oak
    Is the Indian Village Market a Sartan Store?

Let's face it Spartan products and the stores that sell them have a monopoly in Detroit with the exception of Meijer and Wholefoods. The independent stores in Detroit products are not as s good as Meijer, Kroger, or WalMart. Grosse Pointe and Royal Oak have independent markets that sell good products that are way below the expiration date and not past it. It think that the Ave of Fashion should have the same type of grocery store as Grosse Pointe and Royal Oak
    Yep to the bolded.

That's insulted by the fact that the stores are generally owned by the same group of people [[Chaldeans) who not only benefit from a line of capital exclusive only to them [[see the history of Melody Farms), but are notorious for pooling their money within their family [[which is why it's usually their relatives working in these markets and not Detroiters from the nearby neighborhoods, to save on labor costs). I imagine it wouldn't be AS bad if different people who didn't have exclusive lines of capital owned these stores, like in the suburbs.

Yep.

I've also purchased outdated [[or nearly expired) food from there as well...
    Last edited by 313WX; April-23-14 at 10:52 AM.

*Farmer JACK.

You should know better as a Detroiter...
    When in Rome you speak as the Romans speak

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Bite your tongue! Don't you know that Walmart epitomizes corporate eeeeeeeeeeevulllllllllllllllll? Don't you ever listen to DetroitNerd? Walmart is even worse than suburban barbershops.

Wal-Mart [[just like any other big box stores) Needs a heavy flow of conjestive traffic lure its customers to their stores. E. Jefferson Ave. and St. Jean's St. traffic is free flowing. Years of loss of business and its neighborhoods decayed into urban praries will not bring Wal-Mart in that area. [[ Even though a new sub-division filled with middle class black folks) hidden south of E. Jefferson. That strip mall will do. And hopefully that new supermarket will lure future businesses into that area. This time mom and pop will run the show.

Payless confirmed as closed.

GUSHI Guest

Vgs are spartan stores, never has issues w them

GUSHI Guest

I wonder if these stores were owned by African American, would people be talking trash about them. People complain the Detroit is a food desert, the few stores that the city does have people complain about. MAybe they wouldn't be able to operate if they hired people from the neighborhood. They are just reselling a product. I wonder what the profit margin is.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I wonder if these stores were owned by African American, would people be talking trash about them.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, as an African American myself, I would.

Privately owned and operated monopolies are bad news, regardless of who owns them.

One of the top 5 food purveyors in Oakland County is a Spartan store and that's Holiday Market in Royal Oak. Also, I apologize but I have to add: Fuck Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    One of the top 5 food purveyors in Oakland County is a Spartan store and that's Holiday Market in Royal Oak. Also, I apologize but I have to add: Fuck Walmart.
    Ditto on Walmart. Indian Village Market has excellent meat and good control on product dating. I stopped going there because the cashiers were rude. Yaking in their language as I stood there waiting and waiting while being ignored. I shop for many area seniors and folks with no car. Boy they lost a crap load of money by pissing me off. Remember I am shirty! Zippo problems with Spartan affiliates. I welcome Parkway and plan to go back today.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Harbortown Market is a Spartan store. Lafayette Foods is a Spartan store. If you don't like the Spartan brand, buy the more expensive name brand. Or did all you critics not notice that Spartan stores also carry name brands? And Kroger sells their generic brands. Same thing. Furthermore, all Spartan stores that I shop at are independently owned. I much prefer supporting a local business than WalMart.

As for Chaldeans, I think it's totally irresponsible and racist to use a broad brush to claim they all run bad stores. It simply isn't true. Yes, they may employ some family members in their stores, but they also hire plenty of folks from the city. Again, we're talking family businesses here. Why the shock that they might have some family members working in their business?

I remember when Kroger pulled out of the city completely. I don't care if Martians came in and took their place. If they run a decent store, I'm patronizing it. Food desert? I've lived in the city my whole life and been in the downtown area since 1981. I never missed a meal because I couldn't find food in my neighborhood.
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-24-14 at 01:10 PM.

Went again to Parkway yesterday. Same great service. When we lived in GPP Parkway at riverbend was great. Got out of going after there moving further in town. My husband cracked me up, he saw the owner, remembered his name, welcomed him to the area. The owner had the class to pretend he remembered us.

Very nice selection of product. One thing that the owner said was if you don't see something you want, tell me. When we frequented riverbend, if we asked they got it in. Glad to see they are still customer oriented.

Another Spartan ghetto store. What a waste of valuable space that could had been used for a Wal-Mart. I had thought that these Spartan ghetto stores being given the green light to dominate the Detroit food market had ceased under the new administration and council
    There might be some bad Spartan stores in the city, but I think it has less to do with the fact that they are Spartan stores and more to do with who owns and runs the individual stores. There are many nice Spartan stores in other parts of the state - the D&W stores in Grand Rapids come to mind as very nice Spartan stores.

I'd say a well run locally owned Spartan store is much better for the community than a predatory evil-empire Wal-Mart. I don't give my hard-earned money to the Waltons - they already have billions more than they need.

With Gratiot Central Market and the numerous other meat sellers available in Eastern Market, I don't understand why anyone would buy crappy meat from a Spartan Store. I buy all my meat at GCM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    With Gratiot Central Market and the numerous other meat sellers available in Eastern Market, I don't understand why anyone would buy crappy meat from a Spartan Store. I buy all my meat at GCM.
    Not everyone has the time or patience to plan trips to the Eastern Market.

Those are the times when a good neighborhood market is beneficial [[or when you simply need a quick gallon of milk or eggs in a bind).

Not everyone has the time or patience to plan trips to the Eastern Market.

Those are the times when a good neighborhood market is beneficial [[or when you simply need a quick gallon of milk or eggs in a bind).
    why would it require any more planning than a trip to the grocery store? I routinely stop by on my way home from work. Today I bought a rack of ribs. I parked on Russell and it took a grand total of 5 minutes.

I'm talking about buying meat, of course. I agree that having a place nearby to get eggs, milk, or whatever is convenient.

The point and I have made it before many times is transportation. Yes for us Eastern Market is a great place to shop. Half of our area kids have never even seen a grocery store. Just a gas station and liquor store. I have put it out there already, but it bears repeating, we got hugs and kisses for taking kids to the relocated Parkway. They never saw such selection. It really is heartbreaking. Our area kids, I call them MY KIDs have a diet of chips, pop, candy.

I know that HarborTown is a good Spartan store. Detroit had been laxed in making sure that all Spartan stores inside the city keep up to code on their meats and produce. Years ago Malik Shabazz or whatever his name is went around to local stores to inspect their meats and produces and called the stores out who were selling outdated spoiled produce. It was a shame that this man was doing what the city of Detroit should had been doing all along. I am sure that some inspectors were paid off to look the other way and not to pay as visit. Detroit has too many convenience stores that had sold JUNK to residents in it's neighborhoods. I don't want to paint the Chaldeans with a broad brush for there are probably some good Chaldean owned markets in the city. However, they do have a monopoly on the food chain in Detroit while other non-Chaldean grocery stores such as Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe and Downtown Foodland had fell by the wayside

. However, they do have a monopoly on the food chain in Detroit while other non-Chaldean grocery stores such as Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe and Downtown Foodland had fell by the wayside
    In fairness, most of the non-Chaldean grocery stores failed because they couldn't attract enough shoppers to keep them opened. If the residents start calling a "junk strike" and stop buying junk food and start buying vegetables, I guarantee that those grocers will change their inventory.

GUSHI Guest

the Chaldean store have lower operating cost, Family member equal free or almost free labor. they sell items at the end of there life cycle. so they buy it cheaper. Look at all the fruit markets that opened up in Macomb county suburbs epically Sterling Heights, all Chaldean owned, and there item are at the end of the life cycle. They are repeating a system that works.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast