Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

For the record, I wasn't referring to Aldi or Trader Joe's in my posts [[I believe there are only 2 or 3 in the entire city?).

Anyways, the problem with Aldi is that they're a no-frills market. What Detroit severely lacks is full service grocers that sells fresh produce/meat. The options aren't ridiculously absymal like they were after Farmer Jack closed, but Detroit by and large is still a food desert, especially for those outside of downtown.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-04-14 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For the record, I wasn't referring to Aldi or Trader Joe's in my posts [[I believe there are only 2 or 3 in the entire city?).

Anyways, the problem with Aldi is that they're a no-frills market. What Detroit severely lacks is full service grocers that sells fresh produce/meat. The options aren't ridiculously absymal like they were after Farmer Jack closed, but Detroit by and large is still a food desert, especially for those outside of downtown.
    May I point out La Colmena, [[Bumblebee) on 15th and Bagley? EXCELLENT meats & chicken, IMO. Produce section is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There are a couple of non-dump Spartan stores in Royal Oak and Dearborn too.
    Jerry's Food Market here in Wyandotte is also a Spartan store and it's also not a dump at all, even though it's a bit out of the way of the city's busiest corridors [[though it is on Oak Street, a less-busy crosstown road).

GUSHI Guest

Vgs are also spartan store. Definitely not dumps. hopefully the Meijer in the city is successful and other chains open grocery stores. I wouldn't call Detroit a total food desert, you do have Easterern Market and isn't there still a Randazzos in the city, just image how worst ff it would be if these spartan store did not exist, Chaldeans do supply a need in the city, at a profit, but what business does not want to have a profit.

GUSHI Guest

PORTLAND, Ore. [[AP) - The Trader Joe's grocery-store chain has dropped a plan to open a new store in the heart of the city's historically African-American neighborhood after activists said the development would price black residents out of the area.
    COULD THIS HAPPEN IN DETROT?

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    PORTLAND, Ore. [[AP) - The Trader Joe's grocery-store chain has dropped a plan to open a new store in the heart of the city's historically African-American neighborhood after activists said the development would price black residents out of the area.
    COULD THIS HAPPEN IN DETROT?
    Gushi, see my post #46 back on page 2 of this thread.

Vgs are also spartan store. Definitely not dumps. hopefully the Meijer in the city is successful and other chains open grocery stores. I wouldn't call Detroit a total food desert, you do have Easterern Market and isn't there still a Randazzos in the city, just image how worst ff it would be if these spartan store did not exist, Chaldeans do supply a need in the city, at a profit, but what business does not want to have a profit.
    What's wrong with turning a profit? That IS the name of the game. Are the Caldean families and their stores supposed to be a non-profit organization? Years ago, when the Detroit mass exodus started, you were hard pressed to find ANY gas stations or food stores in the City. @ least the Caldeans stepped up to the plate to offer an alternative. If a Spartan store isn't your cup of tea, or the quality beneath you, you can always go to Ho' Foods and buy designer food.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-05-14 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What's wrong with turning a profit? That IS the name of the game. Are the Caldean families and their stores supposed to be a non-profit organization? Years ago, when the Detroit mass exodus started, you were hard pressed to find ANY gas stations or food stores in the City. @ least the Caldeans stepped up to the plate to offer an alternative. If a Spartan store isn't your cup of tea, or the quality beneath you, you can always go to Ho' Foods and buy designer food.
    I'm well aware of WHY things are the way they are. I'm merely pointing out that it's wrong and I suggested a solution in the thread earlier to fix the issue.

BTW, I take my money to Kroger in the suburbs thank you very much [[Whole Foods doesn't offer my type of food at my type of prices and it's out of my way). It's the loss if the chaldeans[[and the city if Detroit who benefits from their taxes) if they don't run decent enough markets to shop at.

Unfortunately, there are many people in the city who don't have a choice but to shop at stores such as stuck-in-the-1970s Tomboy, rotten meat-scented Mike's Fresh Market or rat-infested Mazen Foods.

While it's certainly their perrogative to want to make a profit, it's also the city of Detroitlt's obligation to ensure its citizens have a decent quality if life, the least of which includes having decent and easily accessible grocery store options THROUGHOUT the city. Cutting the red tape and all that crap is nice in the long term, but in the mean time we need a solution to fix the issue in the short term.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-05-14 at 09:40 AM.

I'm well aware of WHY things are the way they are. I'm merely pointing out that it's wrong and I suggested a solution in the thread earlier to fix the issue.

BTW, I take my money to Kroger in the suburbs thank you very much [[Whole Foods doesn't offer my type of food at my type of prices and it's out of my way). It's the loss if the chaldeans[[and the city if Detroit who benefits from their taxes) if they don't run decent enough markets to shop at.

Unfortunately, there are many people in the city who don't have a choice but to shop at stores such as stuck-in-the-1970s Tomboy, rotten meat-scented Mike's Fresh Market or rat-infested Mazen Foods.

While it's certainly their perrogative to want to make a profit, it's also the city of Detroitlt's obligation to ensure its citizens have a decent quality if life, the least of which includes having decent and easily accessible grocery store options THROUGHOUT the city. Cutting the red tape and all that crap is nice in the long term, but in the mean time we need a solution to fix the issue in the short term.
    Well put. I certainly didn't mean profit @ the expense of bad product. You don't go to Kroger in EVIL GP, do you? ANY evening there, [[I only get out @ night) @ either Kroger or Trader Joe's, will show you where REAL Detroiters shop. Again, one of the big issues with markets in the City [[eg. Tomboy) is the crime factor [[eg. theft, shinkage). Midtown is drawing a different, higher-end kind of market because those issues are miniscule. Tomboy draws a totally different kind of clientele.

The Spartan Stores in the suburb s are cleaner and sell quality produce is for the residents and elected officials demand that those stores do. The elected officials, inspectors, and health dept often look the other way and are probably paid off to do so putting money or returned favors over the needs of Detroiters

The question is still What is going c on at the former Farmer Jacks site. Hopcat is opening in midtown not at that location

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The question is still What is going c on at the former Farmer Jacks site. Hopcat is opening in midtown not at that location
    I'm pretty sure poobert answered your question earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You don't go to Kroger in EVIL GP, do you?

Well technically, the 2 Krogers in the GPs are not in GPP.

But it's better than going to the Warren Kroger. The Roseville Kroger [[Eastgate Shopping Center) is too congested.

I'm prett
    y sure poobert answered your question earlier in the thread.
    I am sorry pootburt never had said what is opening in that spot

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am sorry pootburt never had said what is opening in that spot
    I'm pretty sure he said the same people [[Chaldeans) who own Parkway Foods in Riverbend Plaza are opening another grocery store inside the old Farmer Jack.

GUSHI Guest

My bad Hermod did not see your post

My bad Hermod did not see your post
    No problem, just wanted to call your and others attention to it because it didn't get much comment.

I'm not sure how things are going @ the old Farmer Jack location, but it looks like Parkway Foods has moved out of their old location. I hope the Riverbend Plaza Shopping Center doesn't suffer any ill-effects because of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

This was my neighborhood Farmer Jack as a boy:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=jpy+r...30.62,,0,-3.02

Now a Spartan Store.

Parkway Foods now open.

Well I am happy they are here. We did our first foray and the service was outstanding. No wait lines, a clerk who was not busy emptied our cart. Prices in line and even had a store person load our stuff into the car. We spread our business but it is a go to place in our book. Welcome Parkway!

Yes the old Farmer Jack Supermarket on E. Jefferson Ave. and St Jean St. is now Parkway Food. A ghetto-like Spartan Store. It least it would bring hope those middle class black folks who are living in Jefferson Village. Poor welfare and food stamp eaters who are living north of the area. That strip mall was in danger of losing most of its strip mall store in the flash ready to be abandoned and looted for scrap metal.

is there anything else in that plaza yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is there anything else in that plaza yet?
    A Dots clothing store and a beauty supply shop are the other tenants in that plaza. A Chinese restaurant and another clothing retailer closed within the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by ASR89 View Post
    A Dots clothing store and a beauty supply shop are the other tenants in that plaza. A Chinese restaurant and another clothing retailer closed within the past year.
    Dots is liquidating all of their stores, so the only thing left soon will be the Beauty Supply store [[is the Athlete's Foot, Payless and Ashley Stewart still there?).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast