Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hell, a bar doesn't get more residential than Nancy Whiskey's, other than Hamtramck bars. I bet the residents around there love the shit show that goes on there on the daily.

And you think a bar on Woodward is going to get nearby residents in an uproar? Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    My guess is that there were a few videos of people having an eating contest. I highly doubt it's any every day deal. Look at Nathan's in Coney Island. Famous for its hot dog eating contest once a year. It's what makes them famous but it takes place once a year as a promotional situation. It works well. But it isn't an everyday situation.
    i was being sarcastic. i found it funny that an eating contest video was used to tell us what type of people we should expect at a hopcat. that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Hell, a bar doesn't get more residential than Nancy Whiskey's, other than Hamtramck bars. I bet the residents around there love the shit show that goes on there on the daily.

And you think a bar on Woodward is going to get nearby residents in an uproar? Hm.
    The Harrison Bar [[aka Nancy Whiskey's) has been there long before anyone living around it has been there, and it will be there long after they move on. People who live there know what they are buying or renting next to, they are not getting a major change happening. The fact that everyone here is exited over it means that this is a major change.

Again I have nothing against Hopcat. There will be people who will and they will be at the meetings where things such as zoning, planning, and licencing are reviewed. They will speak in opposition to it.

I have explained this numerous times on this thread. I encourage anyone who wants this bar to be at those meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Eating contests will surely be the downfall of the puritanical Detroit.
    I agree. Lets close down Lafayette and American Coney Islands for starting that madness here!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Harrison Bar [[aka Nancy Whiskey's) has been there long before anyone living around it has been there, and it will be there long after they move on. People who live there know what they are buying or renting next to, they are not getting a major change happening.
    ...which is exactly what is happening with Hop Cat going into the old Agave...next to the Whitney...just down the block from Union Street, Majestic...etc... and at the edge of WSU. Nobody living there now, or planning to live there in the future is going to be surprised that a bar is there. The live there BECAUSE its close to "stuff".

Not really making much sense with that defense of your bar.

I agree. Lets close down Lafayette and American Coney Islands for starting that madness here!
    If we let this slide, next we'll be okay with people living near fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...which is exactly what is happening with Hop Cat going into the old Agave...next to the Whitney...just down the block from Union Street, Majestic...etc... and at the edge of WSU. Nobody living there now, or planning to live there in the future is going to be surprised that a bar is there. The live there BECAUSE its close to "stuff".

Not really making much sense with that defense of your bar.
    What is on the other Side of the Whitney?
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+w...67.74,,0,-14.8
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+w...82.62,,0,-4.29
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=the+w...5.16,,0,-11.33

Like I said before I have nothing to defend here! I don't have a dog in the fight and I don't really care what becomes of Agave other than something fills it that the neighborhood wants. I don't work in that end of planning either, I work in infrastructure and finance. I do attend meeting where people come out in droves and have either shut things down or delayed them by years. I am simply giving a warning.

What are you two arguing about now?

dont you two get tired harping on each other ? You are like the Lockhorns.

Thanks to the good planner for offering me access to his portfolio, I've found this rendering that he created, which depicts his vision of a post-HopCat Woodward:

:P

I don't care about this place. But I want it to open because it will add much needed vibrancy to Woodward Ave. Eventually, I can envision the whole stretch of Woodward from Downtown to Midtown to New Center filled with activity. Bring it on. If you don't like it move to a different area or at least away from the main street. There are still going to be quiet residential streets in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Thanks to the good planner for offering me access to his portfolio, I've found this rendering that he created, which depicts his vision of a post-HopCat Woodward:

:P
    Get off my lawn!

Get off my lawn!
    And just where do you expect the drunken frat boys to urinate at 3am?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post

OMG LMAO! The whole place will smell like a cesspool! [[Dave?)

Great. more drunken d-bags trolling the streets looking for fights.

As if the drunken food courts in suburban downtowns were not bad enough.
    I think you misspoke. You meant to say 'Great! More citizens and out-of-towners spending their money in the city, and more tax revenue and jobs in Detroit. Something that we need!'

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I don't care about this place. But I want it to open because it will add much needed vibrancy to Woodward Ave. Eventually, I can envision the whole stretch of Woodward from Downtown to Midtown to New Center filled with activity. Bring it on. If you don't like it move to a different area or at least away from the main street. There are still going to be quiet residential streets in Midtown.
    It might now be your thing, but I've been to the Grand Rapids location a few times. It's a nice looking, well kept establishment that serves great food and craft beer. It's not everyones thing, but it's not a party bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well, midtown is a cesspool!

https://twitter.com/HopCatD/status/495313081669402624

Opening set for November 15th.. the remod has really been ramping up lately... all the upper floor windows are being replaced currently, and the parking lot in the back is basically all dirt.. Hello biergarten!

Really coming along nicely. I drove by this morning and they built an extension on the back of the building. On that north wall they have now painted a really cool mural. If somebody could snag a photo at some point others may be interested. I am guessing they may also paint a mural on the south as well...but not sure.

I met the artist today, I live right across the street so I see steady progress on Hopcat and the LTU building. He said he has plans to do more mural across the city, add him on instagram and check his work out : fel3000ft. Cool guy and work.

My partner, Colleen, did the old murals at Stewart's, years ago. It will be interesting to see the new reopened venue.

This project would have been opened this week but the city drags the feet when it comes to permitting. S.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Really coming along nicely. I drove by this morning and they built an extension on the back of the building. On that north wall they have now painted a really cool mural. If somebody could snag a photo at some point others may be interested. I am guessing they may also paint a mural on the south as well...but not sure.

Walked by there today, all the windows are in. There is so much construction and renovating going on in this area. I walk by one building after another under construction or renovation.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6