Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Bill Jr. will completely take the reins as the final say. regardless of what he has said over the past few years, I think his dad just rubber-stamped most of his choices
    I just caught wind of some Golden Tate sound bytes and I guess Bill Jr. actually came and talked to him despite all of the personal stuff he's got to deal with regards burying his dad.

Classy and responsible move on his part despite having a heavy heart at this moment.

Love him or hate him but Brandon Pettigrew is back in the fold. In a free agent market where tight ends are scarce, he's back for another four years for $16 million. While his catches have declined over the years one still can't dismiss his blocking ability. We've lauded praise with the offensive line and sometimes we forget that he's still a part of it. He's a part of the reason Matthew Stafford stayed vertical last year.

He was also a lightning rod because of his timely drops too. For whatever reason he would drop some of the most obvious and easiest tosses his way.

The only other unrestricted free agents that we might need to consider keeping are Shaun Hill, Rashean Mathis and Jason Fox.

Signing Nate signals, to me, that the first two rounds we will see the Lions go D. A linebacker at 10, corner in the second round

I would draft best player available at DE, S, LB or CB based on the FA signings. A stud WR would be great, but that D need some young help. They may even need to consider DT. Suh "waits" to get a agent?? And Fairley has not shown results of a gym program dedicated to winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I would draft best player available at DE, S, LB or CB based on the FA signings. A stud WR would be great, but that D need some young help. They may even need to consider DT. Suh "waits" to get a agent?? And Fairley has not shown results of a gym program dedicated to winning.
    All of those can be found deeper in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Signing Nate signals, to me, that the first two rounds we will see the Lions go D. A linebacker at 10, corner in the second round
    Uh, we'll assume you'll mean Pettigrew.

Not unless there's some insider scoop that we haven't heard yet.

The signing of Darryl Tapp might stall the pick of a defensive lineman for awhile. And we didn't even get a taste of Jason Jones yet. If there is a D line pick it's going to be mighty late.

I think the first three picks have to be on the defensive side. Stafford's been blessed with plenty of new toys now. The D needs serious help and even that ideal that D players take time to develop could come into play soon.

IMO, Tapp and Jones are back ups for Ansah and Taylor. Taylor might be replaced by Jones, if he has not developed. The bright side is that both Ansah and Taylor have not reached their ceiling. So, in retrospect, last years draft was a good example of meeting current and future needs. If they get that safety from the Ravens, then I feel that FA will be a plus. Ihedigbo, unlike Delmas, wraps up his tackles and does not take bad angles. And, based on injuries, his football age is about the same. Tate is an age and talent upgrade. The loss of Young hurts, but there is young blood on the bench to replace him. Also, losing some talent offsets the compensatory picks required to gain talent. Pettigrew??? I honestly don't know enough about TE blocking to rate that. I do know that creating an edge at the point of attack is a big help in the running game. Keeping Bell was a no-brainer. If anything, the FA signings have given the Lions more flexibility going into the draft. One down side is I feel there is not enough money to keep Hill as QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Uh, we'll assume you'll mean Pettigrew.

Not unless there's some insider scoop that we haven't heard yet.
    Brain fart. Yes duh

One down side is I feel there is not enough money to keep Hill as QB.
    I heard he shopped his services in St. Louis- a little closer to his family but I'm hoping we can keep him. Who's out there that's even worthwhile in the back-up market?

I heard he shopped his services in St. Louis- a little closer to his family but I'm hoping we can keep him. Who's out there that's even worthwhile in the back-up market?
    Can I thank all of the DetroitYes football intelligencia for not suggesting Tim Tebow be our back up QB? A sincere sigh of relief that no one has even thought about that absurdity.

Mark Sanchez is available. I'm sure he's looking to start though.......

GUSHI Guest

Is Chad Henne available?

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Is Chad Henne available?
    B'gosh and b'gorra! Saints be praised as we're going to the Super Bowl now that we've signed Dan Orlovsky as Matthew Stafford's back-up QB.

[[someone cue up the sarcasm meter on me please)

he's a backup, and it's a one-year deal. He's not as bad as you think

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Mark Sanchez is available. I'm sure he's looking to start though.......
    Would be an excellent addition.....

The 2014 Draft is getting pretty close now. There have been more than a few mock drafts that I've looked at and there doesn't seem to be any sort of firm agreement as to who the Lions should or would take. There seem to be more smoke and mirrors than before. There have been talks of trading up, trading down, trading Suh, and everything else under the sun. There's a camp for getting offense with the first pick and there's a camp for getting a defensive player [[I'd like to think we'd be fine as long as we don't draft a punter, kicker or long snapper in the first round).

Does any of the DYes Detroit Lions Intelligencia have an opinion or two as to who they think the Lions should take? The discussions have been pretty silent here but then there have been SO many professional pundits' opinions out there, it's tough to get a grasp on where the Lions need the help the most.

I would not trade up, thus losing picks; nor would I reach for a position of need. IOW, if an OL is the best player available, take him. The Lions have to climb out of the double whammy of the Millen era and the punishing rookie contracts that were only recently made whole by the last collective bargaining agreement. So, like it or not, a win now attitude will just mean they have to hit bottom down the road after, at best, a one and done play-off run. Loading up an OL, on the other hand, means the potential to make trades for more picks down the road. OL players also tend to have the longest careers, thus obviating the initial investment. Although they suffered the slings and arrows of Lions fans, Backus and Raiola were draft picks who ended up as starters for lots of games. IMO, Suh wants to become a free agent in order to pick a team he feels has the best chance of winning it all. So this could be his last season. The upside is that his loss creates a lot of cap space. I agree that defense is the primary concern, but don't feel reaching to fill holes is the way to do it for a team that want to be consistently competitive. Hopefully, a BPA on defense will be at the 10 spot. I do, however, feel trading back for more picks might be wise because the talent is supposed to be deep.

Tight end?? Seriously? I know he's a stud receiver and all but this almost screams of luxury pick to me. I dunno.

I've been a Lions fan long enough to be an agnostic fan. Show me his value come next season, but it doesn't make that much sense to me with the re-signing of Pettigrew, not unless they want to unload Fauria.

And depth in this draft? Who's next? I'm clutching the rabbit's foot hoping for defensive help now.

GUSHI Guest

Fauria was 2nd in td behind CJ, why would we get a tight end , we needed a db, we have to db's : [[.......Wt hell another receiver.

Wtf are they thinking? Move Pettigrew to tackle and Rieff to guard and let Sims fade away?

smh

I would have drafted Lewan. He is a great pass blocking LT, thus allowing Rieff to be moved to guard. I am souring on Mayhew as a GM.

Isn't it just as important to have 2 good cornerbacks as it is wide receivers? I've been casually following the Lions since the 70s. Have they ever had 2 good DBs during that time?

The last great CB combination for the Lions was Dick Lebeau and Lem Barney, in 1970. They respectively had 9 and 7 interceptions.

And the Lions could have traded back for another pick because Denard did not go till #24.

GUSHI Guest

So in round two, qb or kicker? how about another tight end, we can have 4 on the field @ 1 time.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast