Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Has Peter King blown a gasket?

Mock draft pick for the Lions Taylor Lewan??

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/24/johnny...quarterback/5/

That'd be a luxury pick of Millen-esque proportions! Considering how many other glaring holes we need to fill, getting a tackle now would be nuts? Not meaning to diss Lewan but the position isn't exactly a position we need to fill immediately. Whomever we pick in the first round had better be prepared to play Day One for us; no projects here.

Yeah, he seems to be off his nut on that. And he provides ZERO rationale for it

The argument I have seen is that Rief gets moved to guard and Lewan would be LT. Rob Sims would be let go to free up more cap room for free agents. Keep in mind that Rief was drafted due to his ability to play any position on the line but center. Waddle is also capable of being an LT. So the overall result would be an OL with an ability to play through injuries to key players. And it would be a very young line. The downside is not meeting other needs for the team. So whatever the Lions pick up in free agency is critical. Another downside is that an OL player is a brute strength and technique position wherein peak ability often takes years. There are many late picked OL players who developed into all-pros. Last year we had an undrafted and third rounder who arguably now have a better upside than the first round sure things that many were pissed that the Lions did not get. I think the Lions should hint strongly that they may "want" Lewan. That might allow them to trade, on draft day, the 10 pick to a team that needs a LT. I could see an extra pick from that deal used for a center who needs to develop.

The owner of our Detroit Lions team has passed. May William Clay Ford rest in peace with God.

He's been praised for his steadiness at the helm of our Lions football team. Some of his detractors have said that he never had the desire to win as long as his coffers were filled. I'm inclined to disagree with that assessment as he was always liked by his coaching staff and players. He built Ford Field and brought the team back downtown after going out to Pontiac. His teams have always spent up to the allowed cap and the team never seems to do without the vital facilities.

If anything, the man was loyal to a fault. He hung onto people far too long after they had taken this team down the wrong path. But that loyalty to so me is also a virtue. I think he allowed his people to make mistakes and recover from them, but this is also the NFL where windows of opportunity can open and close quickly because of the length of careers.

Beyond football he seemed like a personable sort of man who was very philanthropic and he cared for the city in his own way. He seemed to have been an astute business man at his grandfather's business and seemed like a devoted family man.

I think he genuinely tried to win it all. Alas he's gone now and his team never made it to the promised land of bringing him a Super Bowl. Some of the naysayers will say that we'll have a chance now that he's gone, but that's awfully mean to say about the man and his efforts. He might not have succeeded but I think he had the right intent of bringing a championship to this city. He cared and he tried.

Our Lions will move forward down the field in a few more months. I'm sure they'll be sporting some sort of commemorative patch honoring the man who owned this NFL franchise we call our own.

I defended the old guy here as well, smogboy. We all know he's not perfect but he at least tried to put forth a semi-decent product out on the field that we could cheer for. I'm tired of all of those slappies saying "this team will never win as long as old man Ford's alive". How effing crude is that? Now that he's gone I wonder how many of those so-called fans feel now? I didn't exactly see much jubilation or fireworks from those people.

Yeah, Mr. Ford was the constant with this team. We went through how many GMs, how many coaches, how many QBs, and how many players since he's owned the team?? I guess it's always been easy to pick on that guy because he's been around forever.

But y'know what- I think he gave a sh!t about this team. He's got crazy deep Ford money in his back pocket already; he was loaded before he bought this team for $4 million back in the stone ages. Like he was really worried about us not filling the seats? Like another million was really gonna break him on a Sunday? I just can't see him or his flunkies counting gate receipts.

Everything I've heard about the guy says he wanted a winner. His personnel just couldn't do it and that's a crying shame now that he's gone.

Allen Park — As expected, Martha Ford, wife of the late William Clay Ford Sr., will take over ownership of the Detroit Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Allen Park — As expected, Martha Ford, wife of the late William Clay Ford Sr., will take over ownership of the Detroit Lions.
    I'd be willing to bet my thermal underwear that she'll continue to do what her husband did with the team. She's not going to meddle. I just can't see her being the Lions' version of Georgia Frontiere or Denise DeBartolo. She's been fine out of the spotlight all of these years. Hell, how many people could've even named her up until a few days ago? What makes anyone think now that her husband's gone- she's suddenly going to come out of her shell and run this franchise?

And rumor has it that Louis Delmas just landed a one year gig with the Dolphins; balky knees and all.

Nice guy but just never lived up to his potential of being the consistent big hitting ball hawk. Toss in the $6 million dollar cap hit he would've cost this team in 2014. Thanks and best of luck except for when we play ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet my thermal underwear that she'll continue to do what her husband did with the team. She's not going to meddle. I just can't see her being the Lions' version of Georgia Frontiere or Denise DeBartolo. She's been fine out of the spotlight all of these years. Hell, how many people could've even named her up until a few days ago? What makes anyone think now that her husband's gone- she's suddenly going to come out of her shell and run this franchise?
    Bill Jr. will completely take the reins as the final say. regardless of what he has said over the past few years, I think his dad just rubber-stamped most of his choices

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Bill Jr. will completely take the reins as the final say. regardless of what he has said over the past few years, I think his dad just rubber-stamped most of his choices
    I think he said that to be respectful to his pops. I have issues with that. He knew that one day the steering wheel on this wagon was gonna be his.

Funny how the naysayers never bitch about Bill Ford, Jr. and his handling of this team. Anyone think that's gonna change??

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I think he said that to be respectful to his pops. I have issues with that. He knew that one day the steering wheel on this wagon was gonna be his.

Funny how the naysayers never bitch about Bill Ford, Jr. and his handling of this team. Anyone think that's gonna change??
    I think what Bill Jr. brought to the table was more of a willingness to fire people who weren't working out.

I think what Bill Jr. brought to the table was more of a willingness to fire people who weren't working out.
    I'm completely fine with that. I think he'll give you a chance with noted benchmarks and a time frame to accomplish them. Fail them and you're canned. Ain't nuthin' personal about it.

It brings accountability to the table. Either you're with us or against us.

And this is TOTALLY speculation upon my part here but I'd be willing to bet a soggy napkin that Mayhew is going to be on the hot seat soon. Nothing against the guy personally but he's been given multiple drafts and chances to improve this team. He's definitely not his predecessor [[I'd say his name but I'm liable to vomit in my mouth) but I'm also hoping he doesn't turn into the next Russ Thomas too.

But I'd also like to think that Bill Ford, Jr.'s had the discussion with Mayhew on producing something a little more substantial on the field. I'm sure that directive had a little more Ooomph to it now as opposed to when Sr. was still at the helm.

Your newest Lion, Golden Tate.

25 years old who comes to this team sporting a Super Bowl ring. 64 catches for 898 yards and five TDs. He can also return punts & kickoffs.

According to ESPN, $31 million for five years.

Thoughts, people?

I think they are value shopping. The market is thin for safety and CB, so the Lions decided not to fill a need by paying over what a player in that area is worth due to other teams with the same need. WR has a lot of players on the market and I feel that Tate is a decent buy at that price. They may also lose Young and Pettigrew. IMO, the bigger loss will be Young. So I expect the draft to be weighted on the defensive side of the ball. I am also concerned about Suh. A player that gave as shit about winning would not have dragged his feet with respect to signing a new agent. Tate can beat single coverage and get deep. That could help compliment a power running game. I hope that FB they are looking at works out. He could be used by sharp OC to make up for any loss of blocking due to not having Pettigrew.

I really like GT. And I think we got him for a good price.

As for Suh - I want him gone. Sign him to an extension and trade his ass

Well, he's no Golden Richards.

It will be interesting to see how the Seahawks replace Tate. As I understand the deal, it's $31M over 5 years, with the first two years guaranteed. It's a good deal for the Lions, but not for the Hawks, who are running into salary cap problems.

Interesting to read in his Wiki about his BASEBALL talents. He was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks out of high school and by the Giants while a sophomore at Notre Dame. Also he is only 5'10" tall. So does that make him Mini Tron?

In all of this free agency hullabaloo, let's not forget the signing of one of our own in Joique Bell. He's a solid blue collar, run hard, sort of back that this team needs. He's a great story and has really seemed to have found his groove in Detroit. Paired up with Reggie Bush, I think they were the thunder & lightning combination that Martin Mayhew wanted back there. I think when Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure didn't pan out, these two were more than adequate replacements for that sort of backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    In all of this free agency hullabaloo, let's not forget the signing of one of our own in Joique Bell. He's a solid blue collar, run hard, sort of back that this team needs. He's a great story and has really seemed to have found his groove in Detroit. Paired up with Reggie Bush, I think they were the thunder & lightning combination that Martin Mayhew wanted back there. I think when Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure didn't pan out, these two were more than adequate replacements for that sort of backfield.
    We now have two good 1-2 punches - in the backfield and WR

Curious that Mr. Tate was willing to leave his Super Bowl champ team to play for a team that did not make the playoffs, and in years past... really doesn't make the playoffs. I can only speculate that his pay at Seattle was far less than what Detroit was offering. I guess he figures he already has one Super Bowl ring, so if he can't get to the big game again with Detroit in 5 years, he's still young enough to try his luck elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Yeah that's a great feel good story. Doing it the hard way from WSU. I'm happy for him and he earned it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Curious that Mr. Tate was willing to leave his Super Bowl champ team to play for a team that did not make the playoffs, and in years past... really doesn't make the playoffs. I can only speculate that his pay at Seattle was far less than what Detroit was offering. I guess he figures he already has one Super Bowl ring, so if he can't get to the big game again with Detroit in 5 years, he's still young enough to try his luck elsewhere.
    He's making the bigger money now. Seattle's price for winning the Super Bowl is they can't keep the band together any more. So why not take some of that fame and cash out. Okay, so it's Detroit. Believe it or not but there are advantages here for a guy of his caliber.

-He's not counted on to snag the big time catches. Calvin will do that.
    -If he makes it HUGE here, he can opt out in five years and get another big pay day.
    -And the 31 million reasons in the form of dollar bills isn't going to hurt.

As much as I loved Nate Burleson for his leadership and off field persona, I think this guy will kick some ass here and help out in production.

We now have two good 1-2 punches - in the backfield and WR
    But let's see if we can start stacking the deck on the defensive side of the ball now? I like NFL offense as much as the next guy but using Seattle as an example, defense wins championships. We need a 1 thru 11 punch on the defensive side now.

That Suh drama is ridiculous. Something's not right there. I'm not sure where I can point the finger to and I'm not exactly sure of which finger to use either. But let's resolve that ASAP.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast