Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Because I live in MD, I have seen a lot of Raven football in the last ten years. What struck me about their defense was how all players kept in position and rarely over reacted to an offensive play. They also tackled well. That seems to be a change that has come to the 2014 Lions defense. No more Vandenbosch and Young running way wide around the end on the way to a QB who has handed off the ball to an ordinary RB who goes 30 yards because the safety took a bad angle and also does not thing wrapping arms is the way to tackle.

I just wish that a "Ravens" approach also went with the offense. Stafford is like Flacco and needs hard running game to wear out the other defense. He will never be a Brees.

So my hindsight criticism is that an offensive tackle was on the board when Mayhew et al reached for the next Jimmy Graham - Ebron.

However, Mayhew et al have gone up in my eyes based on the draft picks and free agent signings applied to the defense. Mathis and Johnson come to mind as shrewd acquisitions.

Well said. I still recall years ago when the pundits would lambast this team for not having the football basic of tackling. How far we've come! It wasn't that long ago that this team couldn't win a road game too.

I thought we were going to miss the likes of a Willie Young but the back-ups like Mosley, Tapp, Johnson, Taylor and Reid have rotated in so seamlessly, it's been a very nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Fox use to have John Lynch, Darryl Johnston, Kenny Albert or Brian Billick call the games. I use to like Tim Ryan also, but he's doing the 49'ers games now. I don't know where they got these two clowns from.
    I guess we and the rest of the NFL won't have to worry about this guy making a call this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...164855929.html

I guess his post game antics on Twitter weren't exactly appreciated either, but then again- it just shows a lack of professionalism all the way around. Seriously if you're gonna step into the broadcast booth, be in the public eye, and be sloppy [[by design or accident)- he'd better be prepared for some criticism. Rather than own up to it, be humble and admit responsibility- he goes off and calls his critics the D-b@g word and drops the F Bomb on 'em.

Not bright nor classsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I guess we and the rest of the NFL won't have to worry about this guy making a call this weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...164855929.html

I guess his post game antics on Twitter weren't exactly appreciated either, but then again- it just shows a lack of professionalism all the way around. Seriously if you're gonna step into the broadcast booth, be in the public eye, and be sloppy [[by design or accident)- he'd better be prepared for some criticism. Rather than own up to it, be humble and admit responsibility- he goes off and calls his critics the D-b@g word and drops the F Bomb on 'em.

Not bright nor classsy.
    Most Lions games seem to draw the last-string announcers for some reason. But those guys last week really sucked amazingly.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Most Lions games seem to draw the last-string announcers for some reason. But those guys last week really sucked amazingly.
    Our pre-season guys with Matt Shepherd and Rob Rubick were better than Mike Goldberg. The regular radio guys Dan Miller, Jim Brandstatter and Tony Ortiz could've done the broadcast with better accuracy. I'd almost be willing to listen to the Vikings broadcast team of Paul Allen, Pete Berich and Greg Coleman.

I've never understood what was wrong with hiring the local announcers to make the national call.

Color the Lions winners this week. It sure as hell wasn't proud nor was it pretty but we stole this one from the Saints.

Our offense never got into any sort of rhythm until the second half and even then it sputtered, BUT it did just enough at the right time to win this bad boy. Defensively we didn't exactly live up to the hype of being the number one defense but we hung on just enough to keep the Saints away from winning it with a field goal.

I'll be the first one to admit that I thought we were going to lose this one to the Saints. We stole one. Two weeks from now, ain't no one gonna remember how we did it but it'll still be a notch in the W column. Grinning like a cheshire cat right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Color the Lions winners this week. It sure as hell wasn't proud nor was it pretty but we stole this one from the Saints.

Our offense never got into any sort of rhythm until the second half and even then it sputtered, BUT it did just enough at the right time to win this bad boy. Defensively we didn't exactly live up to the hype of being the number one defense but we hung on just enough to keep the Saints away from winning it with a field goal.

I'll be the first one to admit that I thought we were going to lose this one to the Saints. We stole one. Two weeks from now, ain't no one gonna remember how we did it but it'll still be a notch in the W column. Grinning like a cheshire cat right now.
    The Lion defense was able to prevent a FG, although the Saints had 1:45 to get into range. Those are the things that wining teams do. So my prediction about the Lions not being able to close out with a narrow lead is gladly wrong.

Golden Tate 70 yards???

The look on Ryan's face - priceless.

Note that the time of possession was 33:27 in favor of Detroit. That might have left some gas in the tank of the defense. And it is a trend of the Caldwell era.

Some of that "Lion Luck" got passed to the Saints.

If Calvin can get healthy, then the Lions will have a Gruesome twosome to throw at defenses.

Fauria needs to get better, ASAP.

That drop by Thomson was a gift.

Does anyone know what the hell Sean Payton was so pissed off about? He was pretty hot under the collar chasing the officials down the tunnel after the game? Was it that Bush-on-Bush crime on the 4th down pass interference call? Because if it was, that was pretty obvious IMO.

I'm in the same camp as Pickford-Bentler about that Thompson pass deflection that should've been caught. Stafford didn't have a masterful game but that pick wasn't his fault. Thankfully he could haul over and prevent the Pick Six. To think wasn't it just a few years ago that we'd be bitching about how this team couldn't tackle? I'm thankful Stafford could and did.

The rest of the defense seems pretty good with wrapping up people too. That old habit of arm tackling, not wrapping people up upon first contact seems to have left this team. I'll even point out another huge improvement on this team is the lack of penalties compared to the Schwartz Era. How many times in the last few years did they jump offsides and just kill any momentum? They seem to have corrected that somewhat but I'm sure to any coaching staff any penalty isn't a good thing.

Can I also tip my hat to Caldwell in that first quarter for making the right call on that Saints penalty, making the Saints replay the 3rd down, and keeping the Saints field goal unit off the board? Those three points not being put up saved out asses today. Good risk that paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    The look on Ryan's face - priceless.
    Name:  Ryan.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  19.3 KB

Why yes, it was.

I kept on hearing on the radio on how this was an ugly win by the Lions but in this NFL they don't always get graded on style points.

The Lions offense was relatively was non-existant the first three quarters. The average distance of throws for Stafford in the fourth quarter was double of what he threw in the first three quarters. The running plays seemed awfully forced and the tandem of Bell & Bush barely managed to get 2.6 yards per carry. It makes me wonder about the conservative play calling of Joe Lombardi a bit now. In years passed Scott Linehan dialed up a very electric vertical offense [[he's doing that in Dallas now too) but the team still failed to get the win. I know Jim Caldwell isn't for individual stats and glory as long as his team wins. He seems to consistently keep his players in the game and that's a good thing. I'm only trying to imagine what blood vessel Jim Schwartz would have burst if he was coaching this game as it was also a very chippy game the first half.

Defensively I think this team settled into what they will ultimately become- a top 10 NFL defense. A better QB like Brees can carve this team up. He obviously didn't have all of his weapons at his disposal but we can't apologize for that. Our defense did rattle him when we needed it in the fourth quarter and Brees threw an amazingly accurate pick to Glover Quin. Quin and DeAndre Levy are really driving this team's defense. We're also blessed to have some depth with the front four and that rotation of personnel really seems to keep them fresh, hungry and relentless. James Ihedigbo also had a solid game back there with his solid hits, sack and fumble recovery. I don't recall a Lions team that seem to hit harder with the tackles than I did with the Saints game; there were numerous Saints players dinged up after solid clean hits by Lions defenders.

Now onward to next week's London game where in order to watch it all of us are going to have to wake up around 9:00 or so to see our team take on the slumping Falcons. Any thoughts on that game now that we've effectively put another notch in the win column?

Does anyone know what the hell Sean Payton was so pissed off about? He was pretty hot under the collar chasing the officials down the tunnel after the game?

He was pissed off that a flag wasn't thrown on Slay the last play of the game. Also...does anyone know if Ryan Broyles is injured? He hasn't played in while. Seems to me they could use him with C J and two TE's out.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-20-14 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I kept on hearing on the radio on how this was an ugly win by the Lions but in this NFL they don't always get graded on style points.

The Lions offense was relatively was non-existant the first three quarters. The average distance of throws for Stafford in the fourth quarter was double of what he threw in the first three quarters. The running plays seemed awfully forced and the tandem of Bell & Bush barely managed to get 2.6 yards per carry. It makes me wonder about the conservative play calling of Joe Lombardi a bit now. In years passed Scott Linehan dialed up a very electric vertical offense [[he's doing that in Dallas now too) but the team still failed to get the win. I know Jim Caldwell isn't for individual stats and glory as long as his team wins. He seems to consistently keep his players in the game and that's a good thing. I'm only trying to imagine what blood vessel Jim Schwartz would have burst if he was coaching this game as it was also a very chippy game the first half.

Defensively I think this team settled into what they will ultimately become- a top 10 NFL defense. A better QB like Brees can carve this team up. He obviously didn't have all of his weapons at his disposal but we can't apologize for that. Our defense did rattle him when we needed it in the fourth quarter and Brees threw an amazingly accurate pick to Glover Quin. Quin and DeAndre Levy are really driving this team's defense. We're also blessed to have some depth with the front four and that rotation of personnel really seems to keep them fresh, hungry and relentless. James Ihedigbo also had a solid game back there with his solid hits, sack and fumble recovery. I don't recall a Lions team that seem to hit harder with the tackles than I did with the Saints game; there were numerous Saints players dinged up after solid clean hits by Lions defenders.

Now onward to next week's London game where in order to watch it all of us are going to have to wake up around 9:00 or so to see our team take on the slumping Falcons. Any thoughts on that game now that we've effectively put another notch in the win column?
    Falcons are slumping, they've lost 4 straight, but they are still a dangerous team. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Devin Hester are one of the best trios of WR's in the NFL. Lions better not take them lightly. Really don't know why they are 2-5, their defense must be horrible.

Falcons are slumping, they've lost 4 straight, but they are still a dangerous team. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Devin Hester are one of the best trios of WR's in the NFL. Lions better not take them lightly. Really don't know why they are 2-5, their defense must be horrible.
    I saw a few moments of the Baltimore/ Atlanta game and the Ravens were all over Matt Ryan. The poor guy didn't have much of a chance to set up. I'd like to think that the Lions front seven's got a little more than the Ravens so I'd be using that particular game tape for review.

It wasn't like Atlanta turned the ball over via interceptions or fumbles but they just couldn't move down the field. The Atlanta punter probably had a career game with his punts.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Lions can't afford to get too full of themselves and think they're world beaters. Yeah, they won a squeaker of a game versus the Saints [[some of the blame has to fall on the Saints self destructing) but with this game being played overseas and all of the hype over there, who knows how it's going to affect the teams. Atlanta still has some pride and quality NFL players on that side of the ball. I'm sure they'd love to end their four game skid by kicking Honolulu Blue & Silver ass.

My Jim Caldwell man love is evident when I think he'll keep the focus of this team on the game at hand though. He seems to be managing them pretty well and it's working. A few times during the Saints game the camera would pan over to him and he's about as cool and chill as my dad's aluminum siding in the dead of Winter.

He was pissed off that a flag wasn't thrown on Slay the last play of the game. Also...does anyone know if Ryan Broyles is injured? He hasn't played in while. Seems to me they could use him with C J and two TE's out.
    We all know Payton's a Richard to begin with. The Saints were about as chippy as any team we've played this year. As far as Slay reaching around for the ball? Maybe he had a hand on the back of the receiver BUT from what I saw he had just as much of a chance to reach for the ball as the Saints receiver. A proper no-call was correct.

Broyles? He must be in the doghouse for something. Did anyone even see him dressed for the game? I know he was bitchin' on Twitter last week but that's never a good way to get on the coaches' good graces. He's getting the LeShoure treatment now and I'm not sure why either. They kept him and ditch Ogletree in training camp too so the mystery deepens. Hopefully someone will ask Caldwell at the Monday morning presser but I'm sure he'll find some diplomatic [[as well as enigmatic) way of deflecting the question.

That was the type of game that in previous decades the Lions would have lost. Maybe this year it's different. I can't get too overwhelmed yet - I've been had by this team before.

Golden Tate

His late heroics should have contributed to 2 wins {he had that 50 yard catch and run against the Bills}, if the Lions had a decent FG kicker.

Note his hands. A Stafford rocket sticks like an arrow in clay in sharp contrast to other Lion targets wherein it is a BB bouncing off of a rock. That TD play started with an out in which Tate had to grab a back shoulder laser while on the move. And that was not a bad throw. And on-target throw would have set up Tate to be leveled by the defender short of a first down. Hands are very important when a QB puts heat on the ball.

So the Lions are hurting in the red zone because their two tallest and soft handed targets - Johnson and Fouria are out.

Hopefully, they can get another win before the bye and have those two guys back for the more difficult second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That was the type of game that in previous decades the Lions would have lost. Maybe this year it's different. I can't get too overwhelmed yet - I've been had by this team before.
    I've learned that for my own personal sanity I don't want to compare this team to Lions teams of the past. That SOL crap is old. I'm just going to enjoy them for what they are now. It's easy to compare. I get it. We've all been ravaged and scarred by epic disappointments but that still doesn't mean things can't get better. If I'm going to compare this team it's going to be with themselves from a few weeks back; at least then we're comparing apples to apples as opposed to comparing Matt Stafford to some dude in a leather helmet from eons ago.

It's almost like dating a new gal and being afraid to enjoy her because you were dumped in the past before. She might wear the same dress and same perfume but it's a different experience altogether.

Try to enjoy this game and team for what it's worth! We can lay an sweaty, smelly egg next week or we can take it to the big prize at the end of the season too.

Just a quick reminder to my DYes Lions brethren that the Lions game tomorrow is on at 9:30AM. So unless you're over in jolly ol' England, I'd strongly suggest not going out on a bender tonight so you can wake up at the ass crack of dawn to watch the game.

Methinks Lions luck has changed

Not a good game overall by the Lions but that one hand grab by Riddick is the kind of thing that gives a QB confidence.

Hopefully, they can heal up and do ok in the second half.

Geeze, I thought kicks are supposed to hook a bit and felt the first one was going to break right in, and it did not.

The second was one where a hook would have put it wide right, but it staid flat and broke a bit back.

Glad I am not a kicker.

Jim Caldwell has these boys believing. Another great come from behind win, with the bye coming next week to get their playmakers healed up. Hope Fairley isn't done for the season.

Jim Caldwell has these boys believing. Another great come from behind win, with the bye coming next week to get their playmakers healed up. Hope Fairley isn't done for the season.
    And with that, we're now 6-2. When was the last time the Lions had that good of a record this far into the season?

Mr. Prater, continue practicing!! every day!! [[glad for the win.) I have a feeling that the team's performance will be savaged by local sportswriters..

Nice to have a season where it's the other team shooting itself in the foot for a change.

How 'bout them Lions? I think Howie Long got it right in the post game when referring to the last two games, "Those were games they would have lost last year."

Still, they have had things break their way. Now they need start earning their wins by getting ahead and staying ahead, rather than sliding by on opponent mistakes.

...and isn't the slippery Golden Tate a joy to watch?

I fell back to sleep after half time. I'm pleasantly surprised they pulled it out. I still would feel better if we didn't have so many injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I fell back to sleep after half time. I'm pleasantly surprised they pulled it out. I still would feel better if we didn't have so many injuries.
    I was going to get online and bitch about how I woke up for THAT crap? But I dunno why but I held out hope that the Lions were going to make a comeback. Maybe it's the slappy Lions fan in me but there was something in my pointed little noggin said that there were going to be adjustments made at halftime.

And wouldn't you know it? Caldwell & company did just that and the Lions came out with some spit & vinegar. It sure as hell wasn't how anyone would've drawn up a winning game plan but it worked. We got the W.

It was almost like a repeat of last week except the Lions came back to life at half time as opposed to waiting until the 4th quarter. Stafford managed the ball well without any turnovers attributed to him [[the lone interception was because Fuller did the slip & slide) but couldn't completely move the sticks in the first half. It wasn't until the second half that he seemed to find Riddick. That helped and Bell's job of pummeling the line finally paid off. I would love it if Stafford could go back to the days when he seemed a LOT more confident and zip the balls to the receivers in stride but I also know those were the days when his interceptions were up- maybe a little of each?

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast