Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I also look at QBs like Phil Simms, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, and Brad Johnson- they were all Super Bowl winning QBs. They won because they played in the right system with their teams. I wouldn't even consider any of them elite by any stretch but they were the guys who won the big prize at the end.

Yes, Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls opver a short period. He did it with three different quarterbacks, Theisman, Williams, and Rypien, none of which are going to the HOF. He also used three different running backs, Riggins, Smith, and Byner, of whom Riggins has the only HOF credentials [[hell, Smith had his only big game in the Super Bowl and washed out right away).

Three sloppy field goal attempts cost the Lions their win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yes, Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls opver a short period. He did it with three different quarterbacks, Theisman, Williams, and Rypien, none of which are going to the HOF. He also used three different running backs, Riggins, Smith, and Byner, of whom Riggins has the only HOF credentials [[hell, Smith had his only big game in the Super Bowl and washed out right away).

A great offensive line that can create a push wherein the RB does not get touched till he already has three yards on a run and the QB has enough time for Monk to complete a 15 yard deep out will make any QB a "winner".

Football is won in the trenches.

So far, the Lions OL is losing and the DL is winning, so a middling team they are.

And with that absolute crap kicking, they can not steal a game they were physically beaten as Sunday showed.

Lets just get this out of the way: the kicker sucks. They could have pulled someone out of the stands and have gotten the same result. And yes, they left 9 point on the field because of him, but he's not the sole reason they lost the game. The offense is why they lost. 1TD from the offense all game. Outside of the first 25 mins, they couldn't move the ball. After the long gain to setup the potential winning field goal, they moved the ball 1 yard on the ensuing 3 downs. Granted, there were injuries to Calvin and Reggie, but there's 50 something other guys out there who needed to get it done. They didn't. On to next week.

One game, does not a season, make.

Ask any legit intelligent GM in the league who they'd pick first for their QB out of your bunch here- and toss in Matthew Stafford. I'd be willing to bet they'd still take Stafford over any one of those. I'd say he's got a helluva bigger upside than any of those guys you mentioned.
    I don't understand the "upside" argument, and I don't think he's better than that list of QBs. Cutler has similar raw talent, and, like Stafford, has a gun for an arm, and is also fearless yet mistake-prone. Tannehill and Hoyer have less raw talent than Cutler and Stafford but at least have the luxury of youth so can be [[theoretically) considered to have upside. They also play on teams with almost no offensive weapons.

Stafford is a veteran QB at this point, probably as close to his last NFL pass than his first NFL pass.

Are there any QBs in recent history who were middle of road through their sixth season who suddenly magically blossomed to greatness and the end of their careers? I doubt it. And with Calvin Johnson on the downside of his career, it will likely be tougher.

The Calvin Johnson effect is huge. When third-string QB Shaun Hill started in Stafford's absence a few years ago, he put up the same numbers as Stafford. When you have the best offensive weapon in football it tends to make the QB look decent, at least statistically. And when Calvin is playing hurt, like yesterday, you see the Lions offense turn to crap. Even without Johnson, the Lions have more offensive weapons than most NFL teams. Golden Tate has been great and would be a #1 option on most NFL offenses.
    Last edited by Bham1982; October-06-14 at 01:41 PM.

This FG Kicker issue is actually good for the city. Think about it. All these guys coming in to try out have to stay some where and eat. Maybe do a little shopping. Bringing all these guys in every week has turned into a cottage industry. Maybe someone should open a field goal kicker theme bar where they can all hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    This FG Kicker issue is actually good for the city. Think about it. All these guys coming in to try out have to stay some where and eat. Maybe do a little shopping. Bringing all these guys in every week has turned into a cottage industry. Maybe someone should open a field goal kicker theme bar where they can all hang out.

LOL Good one. BUT, I expect them to sign a great field-goal kicker, Matt Prater, recently from the Denver Broncos. This guy is a great kicker and holds the record for the longest field goal [[64 yards IIRC) in NFL history. He is "money" out to about 60 yards or so. I like him and you will too if he just quits drinking.

Psst! Don't talk to him about a [[field goal kicker theme bar) as if he gets caught drinking again, he is out for a full season.

Great kicker though.
    Last edited by FlyOnTheWall; October-07-14 at 09:07 PM.

Too me the question is: are the going to waste Calvin Johnson's career the way Barry Sanders's career was wasted? Remember all those years they had the 2nd best running back in the history the game [[we all know who the all time best was) They've won nothing with either of them. I never blamed Barry Sanders for retiring in the manner he did, forget about all the money, he deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Too me the question is: are the going to waste Calvin Johnson's career the way Barry Sanders's career was wasted? Remember all those years they had the 2nd best running back in the history the game [[we all know who the all time best was) They've won nothing with either of them. I never blamed Barry Sanders for retiring in the manner he did, forget about all the money, he deserved better.
    Or the way they ran Billy Simms into the ground......sad, very......

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I agree about them hopefully not wasting CJ's career like they did Barry's, but first and foremost, they have to get Megatron healthy. He hasn't been totally healthy since the middle of last season. That's a concern. And we won't even bring up Reggie Bush. He's softer than a roll of Charmin. He's always getting hurt......
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-08-14 at 03:51 PM.

Well, we all know what happened during Sunday's game-but I just out last night that a fan is now permanently banned from Ford Field for using a laser pointer to distract players.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...-ban/16983393/
    A fan who used a laser pointer to distract players during Sunday's Lions-Bills game has been identified and is banned indefinitely from all events at Ford Field, the team announced Thursday.
    Though I actually heard about it on Fox 2-right as I was preparing to sleep, I heard Huel Perkins talk about this from my bedroom TV.
    Last edited by mtburb; October-10-14 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well, we all know what happened during Sunday's game-but I just out last night that a fan is now permanently banned from Ford Field for using a laser pointer to distract players.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...-ban/16983393/
    Serves him right. I mean how dumb can you be by posting what you did to FB and Twitter? Law enforcement goes on those SM sites as well, that's how they catch a lot of perps who are dumb enough to go on there and brag about what they did.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-10-14 at 03:33 PM.

Sigh. Another kicker du jour, another missed FG. Hopefully it was nerves and he'll get it together. It was a 50 yarder, so I'll keep hoping. We miss you Jason.

Woo hoo he hits one from 52 yards with 4 seconds left in the first half.

And later... Groan. Hits post and misses another one from 40 something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sigh. Another kicker du jour, another missed FG. Hopefully it was nerves and he'll get it together. It was a 50 yarder, so I'll keep hoping. We miss you Jason.
    The first kick/ miss IMO was the fault of Martin. It looked as though the placement was a little sloppy on the replays.

Where the hell did Fox get these junior varsity announcers? They've already placed Golden Tate on the Minnesota team, said that Caldwell likes Norv Turner on our staff, Sam Martin's done the punting for the Vikings, and Lord knows what else I've missed. I've heard better calls of a game at Bookies on Sunday at the bar.

Where the hell did Fox get these junior varsity announcers? They've already placed Golden Tate on the Minnesota team, said that Caldwell likes Norv Turner on our staff, Sam Martin's done the punting for the Vikings, and Lord knows what else I've missed. I've heard better calls of a game at Bookies on Sunday at the bar.
    Lion's games just don't rate the better announcing teams, and yes these guys were a joke. It would have been a good time for them to try the game with only crowd sounds and no announcers. We didn't even rate a bubble headed bimbo eye candy sideline reporter today. Game was really hard to watch and seemed like a preseason game. Seemed like the game lasted 6 hrs. But hey, a wins a win and were tied for first.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Lion's games just don't rate the better announcing teams, and yes these guys were a joke. It would have been a good time for them to try the game with only crowd sounds and no announcers. We didn't even rate a bubble headed bimbo eye candy sideline reporter today. Game was really hard to watch and seemed like a preseason game. Seemed like the game lasted 6 hrs. But hey, a wins a win and were tied for first.
    My mind is blown from the lack of pre-game prep. At least study each team and understand who is who on each team. It's not like these two neanderthals were suddenly yanked outta their momma's womb and dropped into the game at the last second. They had a week to study and brush up on players' numbers, team tendencies, injuries, coaching staffs, and all of those other news worthy stats.

I've heard the guys in the high school bleacher booth make a more competent call. It wasn't that fast paced of a game [[I have no idea how the hell Kenny Daniels and the hockey guys pull it off) where they couldn't have waited for a play to develop before announcing who had the ball or who made the tackle. Mixing players up on opposing teams is unforgivable. So Golden Tate made a bunch of catches in the first half- that doesn't mean he switches jerseys at the half to make it a more even game; it's not the good ol' sandlot days of our youth here. Two punters- Sam Martin and Jeff Locke; how do you flub those two names. it's not like they mixed up a guard for a tackle in the post tackle scrum.

If the radio call synced I would've hit mute on the TV and listened to Dan Miller. Fox gave us the dregs for an announcer team. The dope on the sidelines was about as useful as an air dildo too.

Oh yeah, the game. The Lions also played today. I'll give it up to the defensive seven. Those guys were dominant and then some. Ziggy Ansah was a total beast out there. They pretty much dictated the pace of the game and poor Bridgewater looked more like sewer water. I thought for sure that the Vikings were going to let him run around with it but they Lions kept them tight in the box. Another sub 100 rush by the opponents isn't a bad thing. The three turnovers was nice to see.

That being said I was still hoping for a more dominant game from the offense. They should've been able to dictate a better pace. I'm also wondering what the hell happened to our offensive line; last year they were studs and this time around, Stafford's just getting mangled. I'm wondering if it's the play calling. The last few years Linehan had Stafford slinging the ball quicker and giving less work for the blockers to do. Is it me or does the play calling seem to have Stafford hanging onto the ball longer? And does anyone know if Rob Sims is dinged up or hurt? I know he's getting older and losing a half step but that side of the line seems a lot more porous than it's ever been.

My mind is blown from the lack of pre-game prep. At least study each team and understand who is who on each team. It's not like these two neanderthals were suddenly yanked outta their momma's womb and dropped into the game at the last second. They had a week to study and brush up on players' numbers, team tendencies, injuries, coaching staffs, and all of those other news worthy stats.

I've heard the guys in the high school bleacher booth make a more competent call. It wasn't that fast paced of a game [[I have no idea how the hell Kenny Daniels and the hockey guys pull it off) where they couldn't have waited for a play to develop before announcing who had the ball or who made the tackle. Mixing players up on opposing teams is unforgivable. So Golden Tate made a bunch of catches in the first half- that doesn't mean he switches jerseys at the half to make it a more even game; it's not the good ol' sandlot days of our youth here. Two punters- Sam Martin and Jeff Locke; how do you flub those two names. it's not like they mixed up a guard for a tackle in the post tackle scrum.

If the radio call synced I would've hit mute on the TV and listened to Dan Miller. Fox gave us the dregs for an announcer team. The dope on the sidelines was about as useful as an air dildo too.
    I tried the radio thing too. It was off by like 20 seconds. I'd much rather listen to Dan Miller.

But hey, a wins a win and were tied for first.

Technically, Detroit is in first alone since they beat GB head to head at this point, even though they both are 4-2. Big game vs the Saints next week.

Fox use to have John Lynch, Darryl Johnston, Kenny Albert or Brian Billick call the games. I use to like Tim Ryan also, but he's doing the 49'ers games now. I don't know where they got these two clowns from.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-13-14 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    But hey, a wins a win and were tied for first.

Technically, Detroit is in first alone since they beat GB head to head at this point, even though they both are 4-2. Big game vs the Saints next week.
    I will always be thankful for any win that the Lions can achieve. When the defense stepped it up to the level that they did for this game, it really gives me hope. Seattle managed to go pretty far with their defensive game last year and if we're still having these discussions as to how potent this defense is during the 12-14th week I'm going to be a very happy Lions fan.

There were a few things that jumped out to me in this game though- and I think thruster made brief mention of a few of them.

-Primarily with the offense, the line hasn't been able to protect Matthew Stafford. He got touched up 4 times Sunday. Compared to last year he hardly got touched and our offensive line was praised as an unexpected surprise and a foundation to build upon. Last year the line gave up 23 sacks total- and this year we're already up to 21. I'll defer a few of these sacks to not having Waddle in there for a few games but to see us this porous scares me. I'm not sure if it's a new offensive scheme where Stafford has to hold onto the ball longer and wait for things to develop or what, but he shouldn't be getting sacked that often.

-Another concern associated with the offensive line woes is our woeful production from the tight end position. Last year we'd bemoan Brandon Pettigrew for his drops and now he doesn't even see the ball any more. I'd be okay with it if he stayed at home and help with the offensive line but my points prior about the line disproves this. Ebron while talented hasn't emerged as a force either- and why?

The one saving grace about the offensive line this year has been their ability to run block so far. They've closed games out with running the ball and the clock down. Joique Bell had some nice power runs against the Vikings and that was in part to the war won in the trenches; he averaged 4.1 per carry.

It's odd how in years passed we'd worry about the defense being soft and how we were going to have to win in shoot-outs. It's completely flipped since Jim Caldwell's taken over. Our cornerbacks have been amazing despite the curse of youth [[Slay) and the curse of age [[Mathis). We have a solid linebacking group even after losing Stephen Tulloch for the year and we're only going to improve the depth after Van Noy comes back. Our front seven has been a holy terror to the other teams and is carrying this team. I will be hoping that the offense finds its groove soon as we'll need them to put some points on the board.

I'd like to see Stafford and the offense utilize more screens and go back to his quicker releases. Granted all of this could be nullified by what the other team has in personnel against us but I'd like to think with our running backs who can catch the ball and our superior sized tight ends, we shouldn't rely on just the long ball as much. It might not be exciting run-and-gun sort of football but if we can keep the sticks moving forward [[think back to that first drive Sunday) I can see this being a momentum builder. It'd be a boost to the offense and it'd give the defense something to hang their hat on as well.

Let's get both the offense and defense playing as though they both belong to the same team for once. Regarding the special teams, I think Sam Martin might make the Pro Bowl at this rate and the coverage teams have done a very good job by not allowing any massive returns. I don't need to elaborate about the field goal kicking woes. I'm willing to give Prater a fair shake at the job and won't fault him too terribly just yet considering the wind conditions.

Jim Caldwell seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. The staff seems to make adjustments at half time and doesn't hold onto ineffective schemes out of stubbornness. I do think Joe Lombardi's game plan needs to be a little better seeing as how it hasn't been the automatic machine we all thought it would be.
    Last edited by smogboy; October-13-14 at 03:18 AM.

Because I live in MD, I have seen a lot of Raven football in the last ten years. What struck me about their defense was how all players kept in position and rarely over reacted to an offensive play. They also tackled well. That seems to be a change that has come to the 2014 Lions defense. No more Vandenbosch and Young running way wide around the end on the way to a QB who has handed off the ball to an ordinary RB who goes 30 yards because the safety took a bad angle and also does not thing wrapping arms is the way to tackle.

I just wish that a "Ravens" approach also went with the offense. Stafford is like Flacco and needs hard running game to wear out the other defense. He will never be a Brees.

So my hindsight criticism is that an offensive tackle was on the board when Mayhew et al reached for the next Jimmy Graham - Ebron.

However, Mayhew et al have gone up in my eyes based on the draft picks and free agent signings applied to the defense. Mathis and Johnson come to mind as shrewd acquisitions.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast