Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
Because I live in MD, I have seen a lot of Raven football in the last ten years. What struck me about their defense was how all players kept in position and rarely over reacted to an offensive play. They also tackled well. That seems to be a change that has come to the 2014 Lions defense. No more Vandenbosch and Young running way wide around the end on the way to a QB who has handed off the ball to an ordinary RB who goes 30 yards because the safety took a bad angle and also does not thing wrapping arms is the way to tackle.

I just wish that a "Ravens" approach also went with the offense. Stafford is like Flacco and needs hard running game to wear out the other defense. He will never be a Brees.

So my hindsight criticism is that an offensive tackle was on the board when Mayhew et al reached for the next Jimmy Graham - Ebron.

However, Mayhew et al have gone up in my eyes based on the draft picks and free agent signings applied to the defense. Mathis and Johnson come to mind as shrewd acquisitions.

Well said. I still recall years ago when the pundits would lambast this team for not having the football basic of tackling. How far we've come! It wasn't that long ago that this team couldn't win a road game too.

I thought we were going to miss the likes of a Willie Young but the back-ups like Mosley, Tapp, Johnson, Taylor and Reid have rotated in so seamlessly, it's been a very nice surprise.