Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Was that just a "I can't be racist, I have a black friend!" moment?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Was that just a "I can't be racist, I have a black friend!" moment?
    I did get a bit defensive didn't I.

You know I was wondering if it would be possible to discuss such issues on a forum like this without the flaming.

I'm willing to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Lily white? You don't know me.
    Forgive me. I didn't have your bio in front of me. I made that remark based on several of your prior posts. But if you had a black friend at one time, obviously I'm completely mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Forgive me. I didn't have your bio in front of me. I made that remark based on several of your prior posts. But if you had a black friend at one time, obviously I'm completely mistaken.
    Not completely. I meant well. In an apparently clumsy way.

For those of you wondering, Warren settled and this ended up being the most expensive hair cut in the tri-county area, costing tax payers $75,000.

Here are the check requests from council meeting minutes:

[[Victim)
    101 15933
    CHARDA RENEE GREGORY
    ADMIN UNALLOCATED EXPENSE SETTLEMENT

[[Victim's lawyer)
    101 10096
    PAUL M MISUKEWICZ

Actions have consequences!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    For those of you wondering, Warren settled and this ended up being the most expensive hair cut in the tri-county area, costing tax payers $75,000.

[[Victim)
    101 15933
    CHARDA RENEE GREGORY

[[Victim's lawyer)
    101 10096
    PAUL M MISUKEWICZ

I know I'll get hammered for this post, but GOOD FOR HER!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I know I'll get hammered for this post, but GOOD FOR HER!
    If they don't punish the city, then there is no incentive for them to allow people to have rights.

It seems like a good amount, not too terribly much.

[[Victim)
    101 15933
    CHARDA RENEE GREGORY

[[Victim's lawyer)
    101 10096
    PAUL M MISUKEWICZ

Good.

Personally, I would have taken them to court just for the benefit and got them for more.

GUSHI Guest

Good 4 her, she can now get the caddy she always wanted.

Another sensitive and insightful post by GUSHI.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of education.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There were several other officers in that video, and NONE of them tried to stop her [[in fact, they assisted her).
    Which, again, in no way proves that she had permission from her Captain to do this. Was one of those other officers a ranking supervisor?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It appears that women was doing all sorts of kicking and screaming [[I would too if someone tied me down then cut off my hair invountarily). So are trying to tell me that no else heard her throughout that police station?
    You DO realize that it's not uncommon for perps to be brought in yelling and screaming, right? And have you ever been inside the Warren PD? You know it's not just one small room, right? So no, her yells would not reverberate across the entire building and reach everyone's ears.

I'd like to point out that justice moved swiftly for the woman in this case. The officers in question lost their jobs, and the city paid out a sizable and swift judgement in her favor. If the whole city is racist and it's one big conspiracy, why didn't the Warren PD destroy the video? Why not cover it up? Why not protect the officers behind the blue wall of silence? Why not fight the lawsuit?

But nevermind all that, continue to stick to your guns that this a racist conspiracy reaching to the very top echelon of the Warren PD.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    ...But nevermind all that, continue to stick to your guns that this a racist conspiracy reaching to the very top echelon of the Warren PD.
    Can someone explain to me why its so important for some people to claim racism when there's so little evidence? As a white guy, maybe I'm unequipped to understand this.

Demands in controversial cases like with the hispanic guy in Florida or the drunk, high young lady in Dearborn Heights focus on demands for 'justice'. Here, it appears that the Warren PD delivered 'justice'.

Do there remain in Warren PD some racists. Sure. Same for the NAACP. So what. The question isn't whether there is unpure thinking. There is. The question is how they deal with problems when they occur. Sounds like Warren PD needs some praise for a job well done.

In the not so old days this outcome probably may not have occured.

The TV eye works both ways...

I didn't see where people in the thread pulled the "race card", but maybe I need to re-read it.

I do get frustrated when grey-area white-on-black violence gets a huge response, but senseless black-on-black crimes are just status quo and accepted as normal.

Organizations like the NAACP, NAN, the Shabazz's, Jackson's, and Sharp's of the world could make a much larger impact focusing on reaching out to their own communities. A focus on empowering people in poverty to stop unplanned pregnancies, end gun\gang violence, to stay away from bad debt and payday advances, to prioritize spending on important things, to start programs to get people in poverty to be college bound and provide financial assistance for it, etc... These things would improve things for poor people much more than trying to eliminate any and all racism.

Don't get me wrong, I hate racists, I think George Zimmerman racially targeted Trayvon, I think the man who shot the drunk\high lady in Dearborn Heights needs to go to jail, etc... But I think the bigger threat to black folks is the poverty cycle\culture issues that is creating high violent crime rates. I know that the very foundation for this was created by slavery, racism, redlining, segregation, etc... but we have to move past that and into the future. We can't go back in a time machine.

I do get frustrated when grey-area white-on-black violence gets a huge response, but senseless black-on-black crimes are just status quo and accepted as normal.

Organizations like the NAACP, NAN, the Shabazz's, Jackson's, and Sharp's of the world could make a much larger impact focusing on reaching out to their own communities. A focus on empowering people in poverty to stop unplanned pregnancies, end gun\gang violence, to stay away from bad debt and payday advances, to prioritize spending on important things, to start programs to get people in poverty to be college bound and provide financial assistance for it, etc... These things would improve things for poor people much more than trying to eliminate any and all racism.
    No doubt internally addressing those issues faced by blacks could make a bigger impact. And for what its worth the NAN does speak out to the black community about these things. That being said, NAACP, NAN and crew are civil rights organizations. Their mission by definition is to address civil rights issues. Personally I think Al and the NAN do an excellent job of it. He doesn't get the results he always wants and many find him to be a race baiter [[whatever that is). But what he does do better than anyone is shed light and publicity on issues that he believes encroach on people's / groups rights. Al Sharpton going down to Florida is the only reason people know Treyvon's name. And he only went down there, at the request of the parents' lawyer, because the prosecutor was not showing intenet of bringing the case to trial.

Justin Verlander is a great pitcher, but the Tiger's didn't call on him to shore up the bullpen at the end of last season.

GUSHI Guest

Possibly doing some other lines, sniff sniff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of education.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    No doubt internally addressing those issues faced by blacks could make a bigger impact. And for what its worth the NAN does speak out to the black community about these things. That being said, NAACP, NAN and crew are civil rights organizations. Their mission by definition is to address civil rights issues. Personally I think Al and the NAN do an excellent job of it. He doesn't get the results he always wants and many find him to be a race baiter [[whatever that is). But what he does do better than anyone is shed light and publicity on issues that he believes encroach on people's / groups rights. Al Sharpton going down to Florida is the only reason people know Treyvon's name. And he only went down there, at the request of the parents' lawyer, because the prosecutor was not showing intenet of bringing the case to trial.

Justin Verlander is a great pitcher, but the Tiger's didn't call on him to shore up the bullpen at the end of last season.
    Kev,

Thanks for sharing your perspective on it. My view of NAN and NAACP is limited to what I see in the media.

I hear what you're saying about Sharpton raising awareness on things like the Treyvon case. This was a clear situation where a young boy's right to live was cut short.

I guess I just think that all the young black men should have the right to live, even if they're being killed by other black people. My point being is that the biggest violations of black rights are done at the hands of other black people. Black on black violence is ending more lives than these few sensational cases where innocent black men are killed by non-black people.

But then again, the media isn't going to show up at a meeting where black leaders are speaking on this subject of black on black violence, so I won't see it or hear about it, which will just reinforce my opinion that it isn't happening.

On budget issues I have much stronger opinions, but on the subject of ending black on black violence, I'm not quite sure what will be an effective solution.

GUSHI Guest

People she got 75k cause she got her hair yanked, give me 5k you can pull my hair.

That's a way to look at it, until it is YOUR family member or loved on on the receiving end of such treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That's a way to look at it, until it is YOUR family member or loved on on the receiving end of such treatment.
    This is either a Hamtramcknerd, or "consider the source moment". You're casting seeds on stony ground.

GUSHI Guest

Warren Pd can pull my wife hair any time they want for 75k

Kev,

My view of NAN and NAACP is limited to what I see in the media.
    Now, that's a mistake.

Warren Pd can pull my wife hair any time they want for 75k
    Well, at least we see you're consistent in your regard for blacks and your wife.

Yay unions!

The police officer got her job back as well as $86,000 in back-pay!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...ation-decision

Take that, taxpayers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast